Shortness of breath

beckyg

I have said recently that my only real complaint about all my cancer treatments is my shortness of breath. Up until Friday afternoon, it was an annoying problem, but I was able to do what I needed to do. Starting yesterday, it has become crippling--going to the bathroom requires catching my breath while in there and again when I return to wherever. Rolling over in bed last night woke me up every time because I was breathing so hard. I have some sort of infection going on (I am on antibiotics) and I am hoping the infection is stealing my breath and afraid ithe shortness of breath means I have fluid buildup in my lungs which would seem to mean that the Taxotere isn't working. I am just taking it easy today and we'll get after doctors in the morning to try and get some relief. Could it be a side effect of the chemo? It seems it has been slowly getting worse since my last dose of chemo, with the dramati change yesterday morning?

Becky

Since my question of my dad's shortness of breath that I posted earlier, (see shortness of breath/chemo), I did some research. I found a website that posted side effects from chemo. (I went back to get you the site, but can't find it?? - do a search on "side effects from chemo") And yes, one of the side effects was shortness of breath common with Gemzar, one of the cancer drugs my dad is taking. It made me feel better because I couldn't believe his lungs were filling up after a week of taking the CT scan which showed no fluid! In my findings, it said to make sure to report this side effect to your doctor. Hopefully this is just a side effect from your cancer drug as well.

Dear Becky,

My shortness of breath (walking up stairs) started when I was on Taxotere. Your radiation is probably still working and contributing to the situation--and of course your infection doesn't help.

One thing that was never offered to me during this time was a simple test of my oxygen levels. Ask the doctor about that. You may need to be on oxygen for awhile. My oncologist never tested my O2 levels, it was the pulmonologist that helped me with this problem after my surgery.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Ada

My dad did chemo and radiation and close to the end of the treatment he started having trouble breating. He had it checked out and went to the hospital because it got so bad and they put him on an oxygen tank. The result was from scar tissue on the lungs from the radiation treatment. They literally fried his lungs. I hope that is not what happend to you but it is rare and unfortunate that it happend to my dad.

Becky,

I guess I come across a like an alarmist, and I don't mean to be that way, but I've had a lot of the "I can't believe this happened to me." kind of experience.

Shortness of breath should be reported to your physician ASAP. One of the tests they do to determine respiratory reserves is to have a person lay down on their side. It compresses the lung on that side; but it isn't normal to bring about shortness of breath by doing so.

Because we have cancer we are prone to developing blood clots, but having them in our legs isn't the only place they can turn up. We are at risk for Pulmonary Embolisms, and shortness of breath is one of the symptoms. So please...contact your doctor and have him examine you ASAP. If it turns out to be nothing serious then you've spent time someplace you don't want to be. If it turns out to be serious and you don't act quickly you could end up some place you REALLY don't want to be!

Not being able to breathe easily is too serious a symptom to try to self diagnose. For anyone.

Hope you have yourself checked out, and it turns out to be nothing serious, and you come back here and say bad things to/about me because you are mad that you spent time in a place you didn't want to be.

:)

I'm worried about you..

Fay A.

Well, I went to the oncologist this morning and he sent me over to the hospital for tests. I do not have enough fluid in my lung for that to be causing the problem. I do not have a blood clot. So he sent me home with Albuterol and prednisone and an order for at home oxygen for me to use at night. He said it might take a few days but I should start breathing better--it is probably a reaction to the Taxotere.

The other news is that in checking for a blood clot, they did a chest CT. Once again, no change in my lung tumor. SO tomorrow I start Iressa. Tonight I am very disappointed--I had convinced myself that the Taxotere was going to do it for me. I will be at 6 months from diagnosis on Thursday. I have been through surgery, radation, and chemo, feel worse than I did when I started, and my tumor is as big as ever. My natural state of being is hopeful, so tomorrow or the next day I'll start to bounce back, but tonight is hard.

Becky

BECKY, LOOK AT IT THIS WAY, IT MAY NOT AS YET BE BETTER, BUT IT ISN'T WORSE......

MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU YOUNG PEOPLE TO HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS HORRIBLE ILLNESS WHEN YOU SHOULD BE HAVING THE TIME OF YOUR LIVES. THINK POSSITIVE, GIVE THE CHEMO AND RADIAION TIME TO WORK BETTER. MAYBE YOU ARE TRYING TO DO TO MUCH TO SOON. TAKE IT AS EASY AS YOU CAN AND HOPEFULLY YOU WILL GET YOUR BREATH BACK TO NORMAL AND FEEL A LOT BETTER.

YOU WILL BE IN MY PRAYERS TONIGHT. GOD BLESS