No more Tarceva for me

TAnn

Went to the oncologist yesterday for results of my latest ct scan. Here are the results: Lymphangetic spread has increased (previously referred to as "fluff") and it is now covering the primary tumor in right lung. It is now almost impossible to measure the original tumor because of this spread. It is like a tree root branching out along the lymphangetic pathways. New pleural effusion (small) in left lung. The original effusion in the right lung remains stable, as well as the numerous nodules in the left lung and lymph nodes in the abdomen that they have been watching.

It is not good news, but I know it could be worse. Since there is obvious progression, we decided to stop Tarceva and I will be starting Alimta next Wednesday. I got my B-12 shot yesterday and started on the folic acid. Hopefully my Tarceva rash will clear up before I start the new treatment.

The doctor thinks the pain in my back is from the tumor/spread possibly pressing on nerves and the new pleural effusion explains the shortness of breath. Hoping Alimta may shrink that, although I haven't had much luck with shrinkage from any of the chemo's I've been on. But I'll settle for stable.

I consider myself one of the lucky ones. Between my time on Iressa and Tarceva, I haven't had IV chemo in 1 year and 1 month. It's been a great break and has allowed me a somewhat "normal" life. But now it's time to get the gloves back on and get back into the fight.

Also, my doctor is always impressed with how me and my husband handle the news he gives us when it is bad and we told him all about all of you and the information and support that we get from this website. His nurse was so impressed that she wanted us to show her the site right there in the office. So we did and she was so impressed and couldn't believe her other patients didn't know about such a wonderful site. I'm e-mailing Rick and Katie to let them know that at least my medical team at MD Anderson would like some brochures!

More updates next week.

TAnn

For all of you watching my progress on Tarceva, don't be discouraged, it kept me stable for 6 full months and for that I am thankful.

TAnn,

I am sorry to hear of the progression but very happy you have your fighting gloves on and ready to fight!

I hope with all my heart that Alimta is the one that is just right for you and will give you shrinkage.

Your post always amaze me with your positive attitude! An attitude like yours will take you a long ways!

I wish you all the best TAnn and look forward to reading some GREAT news from you soon.

Take care,

Diane

TAnn,

I am so sorry you need to get those gloves on for a new fight. Was so hoping the Tarceva would be it for you.

You know that there have been good results with Alimta....so hope you can achieve them too.

Will keep you close in prayer for some positive results.

((((TAnn)))),

Kasey

Welp, TAnn, there you are, in middle of your own struggle looking out for Brian and the others just beginning Tarceva. You are such a blessing.

Brian and I are going to remember the example you set as we have our meeting w/ the onc today.

Love and support

Pat and Bri

Terri,

I've been reading alot lately, but not really feeling much up to posting, until I read your post. I hope you get continued good results with the upcoming Alimta and am also humbled by your obvious strength and determination.

Bill's recurrent tumor on his lung, in addition to his new "unidentified but anticipated tumor" on his left lung have led his oncologist to start him on Tarceva. We are slated to start this evening, although he has mentioned he'd like to hold off until after the holiday weekend, just incase the side effects are harsh. Anyway...when we met with the oncologist Tuesday, he gave us the option of Tarceva or Alimta, but then pulled back and stated that Tarceva would be better because he felt Bill was too weak to handle Alimta. I'm comforted to know that if we don't get good results with the Tarceva, we can still push for the Alimta. I felt like they were telling us it was one or the other, but obviously that is not the case. Thanks for sharing this information and as always, I wish you all the best with your new treatment plan.

Love,

Teri

Sorry to hear that Tarceva has stopped working for you, but like you said, it gave you a nice break. Hope and pray Alimta will be as good for you as it was for many of us. The first four treatments were a piece of cake for me and side effects were minimal. I like the "gloves on" attitude. Hang tough kiddo. We are all pulling for you. Take care and God Bless.

CharlieD

TAnn-

That sucks! Don't forget there is always Avastin that can go with the Alimta too!

I'm sorry..........I just wonder if some of us are being pushed to the edge and maybe at the edge we will find the cure and others won't have to go as far (nice thought huh?!)

Ugh I hate that this has happened.

I have my fingers crossed that the Altima will be the "ringer" for you.

Hopefully your rash with disappear as quick as mine did - when I went off Iressa my rash disappeared in a few days.

To better days ahead,

Wendy

TAnn,

So sorry to hear the news. Hopefully, with the strength you have from being off chemo., you will handle the Alimta very well. Charlie experienced fatigue. But, not really anything else.

I am really proud of you and your husband for the great attitude. Take care.

Dear TAnn,

We've already talked, but I wanted to tell you again how sorry I am for this news and that I know it's hard to go back to chemo.

Don's first infusion of Alimta was really easy. The only side effect he had was some fatigue and hiccups. The hiccups weren't constant and only lasted for about a day and a half. He could feel the increased fatigue 2 days after.

I also got his blood work today and it looks pretty good, too. A little below normal on the blood counts, but nothing to worry about and his platelets were still well within the normal range. I was concerned about the blood counts, but so far, ok. He gets his 2nd infusion tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Again, hang in there and keep fighting.

Love and prayers,

Peggy

TAnn.

Sorry, this is not what we were hoping for. Hope the Alimta will be the one that provides regression.. I always think about Jimben and what it took for him to find the right one. Hang in there T. And gloving up is a great idea. Glad that you were able to share this site with a team that was open to it!

love, Cindi o'h