Heard of Navelbine (Vinorelbine)

Justakid

Hi Beth,

My husband got Navelbine along with Gemzar. He didn’t have a central line or PICC line (I think Lucie maybe did, but I'm not sure), so he got it through the i.v. line. It wasn’t a drip – they injected it very slowly into the i.v. He had no side affects to speak of, just a hard time getting a vein that didn't burn. It burned like fire until they got the right vein. They had to warm up his veins with a heating pad to widen them to receive the injection.

Here's a link that tells about it, and I copied part of the info below, too:

http://www.cancerbacup.org.uk/Treatment ... inorelbine

Vinorelbine may be given:by injection into a vein (intravenously) through a fine tube (cannula) inserted into the vein through a central line, which is inserted under the skin into a vein near the collarbone, or into a PICC line, which is inserted into a vein in the crook of the arm.

As capsules, swallowed whole with a glass of water.

Possible side effects

Lowered resistance to infection

Bruising or bleeding

Anemia

Constipation

Diarrhea

Feeling sick (nausea)

Numbness or tingling in hands or feet

Pain along the vein used for the injection

Tiredness and a general feeling of weakness

Less common side effects ,. . . .

Leaking around the vein If vinorelbine leaks into the tissues around the vein it can damage the tissue in that area. If you notice any stinging or burning around the vein while the drug is being given, or any leakage of fluid from the cannula site, it is very important that you tell the doctor or nurse. If the area around the cannula site becomes red or swollen at any time you should tell either the doctor or nurse on the ward.

Beth,

As you know everyone is different. Charlie had Navelbine last summer and had severe side-effects. He was in that 1-2% that develop severe neuropathy (colon in his case). You're probably in the clear since he has already experienced the neuropathy. LOL!

Navelbine typically has the reputation for being a little easier on you than the Taxanes and some of the other chemos. Also, it has been found to be very effective.

I will be praying for you and for wisdom for the doctors. Take care.

Hi Beth, I had Navelbine and had good results with it for a while. It is given intravenously and they push (the Navelbine only takes about 5 minutes or so) it through. Was given fluids before and Dacadron after to protect the site. It only took about 30 minutes or so from start to finish. It is supposed to be mild compared to others, of course everyone is different and reacts differently. Had no side effect except did develop neuropathy and still have it. Take B6 for it and it does help. Worth trying for sure. Prayers for the best for you. Rich