alimta/avistan

carls

my father has had no success with any of the treatments. he is now very weak and unable to move around on his own and he is ocasionally usuing oxygen. We have heard great success about avistin and or alimta but his onc was hesistant bc he has brain mets. is there anyone on this site who has brain mets but is on avastin or alimta??

Yes. My husband has numerous brain mets and is on Alimta. As a matter of fact, we just recently learned that his brain mets have started growing again and he is going to have stereotactic radiosurgery (again) in about a week.

I don't think Alimta will cross the blood brain barrier, but I can't think of any other reason why his onc wouldn't want him to have Alimta or Avistan (or both). I don't recall reading anything in the literature that it was harmful - it just probably won't help the brain mets, but there are other treatments for them. If you find out his/her reason, I would be curious to know what it is.

Also, trishnmiller's husband has brain mets and is on Alimta.

Keep us posted.

Love,

Peggy

Carls,

I answered your PM to me on this also, but wanted to put it here, too, so others could read what I think about this:

I just did some more research, and I think the reason your onc has said that is because Alimta can cause so many problems with the blood - especially low red blood cells and low platelets, also anemia and some other stuff. That's why they give the B12 shots and have to take Folic Acid every day, plus get their blood checked every 3 weeks before chemo.

The onc warned us about those things. I suppose also that since there are brain tumors, that could affect the blow flow to the brain.

But, like I said in my last PM, there's not much choice for my husband. It's either take the chance or else do nothing, and we all know how that will end.

I don't know anything about Avastin - my husband isn't on it - at least not yet, but the onc did mention it as another resource if we need it at a later time.

Also, Carls you mention that your father is weak and on oxygen. You don't mention his age, but I wonder if his onc isn't taking into consideration his overall health and age.

Fortunately, my husband is only 57 and has a very high performance rating. He was in excellent health at diagnosis, and even now, other than the cancer and treatment side effects, he is still very healthy.

I sure hope you get some answers for your father very soon.

Love,

Peggy

P.S.

Carls, the literature also says the most common problem with Alimta is myelosuppression. I copied the definition below. As you can see, this is also primarily an issue with the blood. Again, I think maybe this is why your father's onc is cautious about using Alimta with brain mets. Your dad and your family, and the onc, will need to weigh all the issues with your dad, including the weakness and oxygen, in order to make a decision.

myelosuppression

The suppression of bone marrow activity, resulting in reduction in the number of platelets, red cells and white cells found in the circulation.