Mushroom Extract ...Read .....

This extract from Mushroom is purported to increase survival time even in late stage Cancer 300-400%...It is called Coriolus versicolor and is only effective in the extract form...It is a main stream therapy in China and Japan . You can check it out on the web by just typing the name in your search engine. In Japan it is regularly prescribed for Breast,stomach,colon and lung cancer.So as not to confuse you when you research it the extract capsules that are sold they call it Coriolus VDP and the cheapest i've saw it was $56.95 for 90 capsules which according how many you take in some instances would be only a 15 day supply.....

My mom is taking three mushroom herbs that were prescribed to her by her Ayurvedic doctor. One of them is Coriolus. She started taking them about 3 weeks ago. Also, last week, she just completed 14 rounds of WBR. Her dr. said that these mushrooms help stop the growth of tumors in the body. Her next MRI of the brain won't be for another 5 weeks b/c the benefits of WBR really carry on until that time and they don't want to give her a scan now. She had 6 mets. The way she feels and the way she looks is just awesome. She is walking a couple miles a day and riding her bicycle. She says she never felt so good. I don't attribute this to her taking the mushrooms, but her whole organic regime. Cancer loves sugar and she is not eating one spec of it. I'm sure the mushrooms are helping too, but we will have to wait a couple of months to see. It really takes at least 3 months when you start something new (eating better, exercising, etc.) to see any results. Her chemo and radiated were a cake walk. No side effects at all except for fatigue from the radiation. (and hair loss). She started seeing the Ayurvedic doctor immediately after her 1st chemo and started taking herbs and such (see profile below) and really never had a problem. Continued to go out and shop, do her art, etc. We are very lucky to have this wonderful doctor in our area (South Jersey). It was such a surprise to us that she did have the brain mets b/c she was feeling so great, but her onc. explained to us that those tumors could have been there the whole time and they were just dormant. I'm hoping that the WBR zapped at least 4 of the smaller mets and then she would be eligible for Cyberknife surgery. We'll see. After seeing how my mom breezed through the traditional/conventional therapy (chemo and radiation), I can't say enough wonderful things about using alternative therapies.

Also, I was in my doctor's office a few weeks ago getting a check up and paging through an issue of O magazine. (Oprah's mag.). There was an article in there about how some of the doctors at Slone-Kettering are experimenting with these mushrooms (on themselves).

Liz

Coriolus versicolor polysaccharide peptide slows progression of advanced non-small cell lung cancer.

Tsang KW, Lam CL, Yan C, Mak JC, Ooi GC, Ho JC, Lam B, Man R, Sham JS, Lam WK.

Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR, China. kwttsang@hku.hk

BACKGROUND: Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) is a leading cause of cancer deaths, and over 60% of patients present with advanced stages. Although polysaccharide peptides (PSP), isolated from the fungus Coriolus versicolor, have been reported to have anti-tumor effects, its clinical efficacy has not been properly evaluated. METHODS: Double-blind placebo-controlled randomized study to evaluate the effects of 28-day administration of PSP (Windsor Pharmaceutical, Hong Kong) on patients, who had completed conventional treatment for advanced NSCLC. RESULTS: Thirty-four patients, with no significant difference in their baseline demographic, clinical or tumor characteristics, or previous treatment regimes (P>0.05) were recruited into each of the PSP and control arms. After 28-day treatment, there was a significant improvement in blood leukocyte and neutrophil counts, serum IgG and IgM, and percent of body fat among the PSP, but not the control, patients (P<0.05). Although the evaluable PSP patients did not improve in NSCLC-related symptoms, there were significantly less PSP patients withdrawn due to disease progression, than their control counterparts (5.9 and 23.5%, respectively; P=0.04; OR 4.00). There was no reported adverse reaction attributable to the trial medications. CONCLUSION: PSP treatment appears to be associated with slower deterioration in patients with advanced NSCLC.

Publication Types:

Clinical Trial

Clinical Trial, Phase II

Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 12814145 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Polysaccharide Krestin (PSK)

is another mushroom that has been studied some for its activity against cancer

Effect of krestin(PSK) as adjuvant treatment following radical radiotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer patients

K Hayakawa, N Mitsuhashi, Y Saito, Y Nakayama, M Furuta, H Niibe

Dept Radiology & Radiation Oncology, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma 371, Japan.

To evaluate the efficacy of PSK as adjuvant treatment after radical radiation therapy (RT) for non-small cell lung cancer(NSCLC), the treatment results were analyzed of 225 patients with NSCLC treated with RT followed by adjuvant administration of PSK. In the patients with epidermoid carcinoma, PSK was given only when the tumor showed satisfactory shrinkage after completion of RT. The five year survival rates of patients with stages I-II and stage III disease were 39% and 26% respectively, while the non-administered group's 16% and 5%. These differences are statistically significant. An improvement in the treatment results with combined use of appropriate immuno-modulating drugs is anticipated in the future. When clinical trials of the efficacy of these drugs are conducted, the agents should be given to the patients with satisfactory tumor regression after RT, although they still take much time and cost.