As Leslie says, "A Personal Woohoo"

stand4hope

Leslie wanted to be sure it was ok to share her personal woohoos, so I decided to share my own personal woohoos.

The last I reported, I said that the Decadron was helping and shouted "Bring on the Steroids". Well, it is still working and I couldn't be happier. As a matter of fact, hubby is like a totally different person. I'd say he's back up to about 80% of pre-diagnosis as far as how he feels and acts.

The onc told us last Tuesday that the MRI showed a LOT of swelling in his brain, so that's why he was so sluggish. Tuesday was also the last day of hip radiation. No more pain and no more pain meds.

The confusion is gone, his gait has picked back up, and he's very, very active again. This weekend he mowed the yard, trimmed bushes, changed the oil in both automobiles, cleaned out half the garage, took me out to eat twice, and just a host of other things. It's hard to believe he's the same person he was just a few weeks ago.

I'm no Pollyanna and I realize the steroids are a band-aid, but I don't care. I'm lovin' it. He had his 2nd infusion of Alimta on Friday, and so far, no problems at all. I'm visualizing the Alimta erasing all that cancer just like you would erase pencil marks off a sheet of paper.

The stereotactic radiosurgery is scheduled for July 11 to the brain mets. He gets his scan on Tuesday, and the onc warned us that since it's a special scan with thinner slices, more smaller mets could show up, so we're braced for that. He didn't say what they would do if there are more, and we didn't ask. We'll just wait and see.

Oh, and also, his appetite is back and he has now gained 3 lbs. WOOHOO!!

Anyway, those are my cheerful "personal WOOHOOS" (thanks Leslie) for this beautiful 4th of July weekend.

Happy 4th of July everyone. LET FREEDOM RING!!!

Love,

Peggy

WooHoos are good.

Just a gentle reminder for those of us on immuno-suppressants like Steroids, we should be wearing waterproof gloves under work gloves and particulate matter respirators when we play in the dirt or out in the garden and doing yard work.

Mowing the lawn and trimming bushes is fabulous, Peggy....but if you work this the right way, you could have him ironing, washing windows and scrubbing floors too! :shock:

Think of the possibilities!! :wink:

So glad to hear that hubby's feeling better and enjoying the "steroid rush" of energy. Sure beats the heck out of fatigue and lethargy!

Tell me, though....does he have any trouble sleeping at night while on 'roids? I'm on a really low dose (actually I take prednisone for polymyalgia) - just 3 mg. daily which I DON'T take on chemo days when I get the Decadron. And I'm up 2-3 times a night to use the facilities...and then have a helluva time getting back to sleep. Is DH troubled by getting so wired he cannot sleep thru the night?

Am otherwise so delighted to read your Wooo Hooo thread...as it reminds ALL of us to take a moment to count our blessings....even when things don't otherwise seem so blessed! Thanks, Peg!

Addie: He is getting up sometimes in the middle of the night to "use the facilities", but other than that, it doesn't seem to be keeping him awake at all. I remember in late 2003 when he took Decadron that he was chatty at night and couldn't get to sleep, but maybe he was on a larger dose - I just don't remember.

He is taking 8 mg. of Decadron. I asked the onc about reading about some people taking 50,60 & 70 mg. of steroids, and he said they were probably different steroids and Decadron is more concentrated. They wanted him to start with 12 mg., but he said he would take 8. He takes 4 mg. early in the morning and the other 4 mg. at about 3:00 in the afternoon.

I don't know how your dosage compares, but maybe it's stronger. If you aren't already doing it, you might try not taking it in the evening. The last time, his onc recommended he not take it after 3:00 p.m. so he could sleep at night.

Cindi: Yes, and that's what the steroids are for, as well as the SRS he's going to get. They say all this will help his quality of life, and so far, it's working.

I'm a little nervous right now. He decided since it was Independence Day that he was going to exercise his independence and ride his motorcycle. I didn't think he was feeling THAT good. He left at 6:00 a.m. (I was still asleep) and it's almost 9:00 a.m. now. I won't have any peace until I hear that rumble in the garage. I'm sure he's fine, but it still makes me nervous. He left me a note and said he has his pager and cell phone. He did say he wouldn't be gone long because he didn't want to be out when it started getting really hot.

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

Love,

Peggy

P.S. He just got home at 10:35 a.m. Thank you, God! He said it was a good ride, no balance problems, no hip pain!

Peggy,

Great news. I know how he feels. It worked great for me too, but I could not sleep more than 3-4 hours a night. I'm off them now and sleeping normal but I don't feel near as good now. Anyway, enjoy it and I hope and pray it lasts forever. God Bless.

CharlieD

WooHoo, Peggy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bandaids used long enough DO allow injuries to heal!!

So glad to hear your 4th of July news! A motorcycle just went past here. Checked it out. Don is NOT in PA :lol: !

Very, very warm wishes and (((hugs))),

Kasey

Yo Peg,

You certainly made this 4th of July a special celebration for us all also!!! :mrgreen:

A big bang of fireworks and happiness sent to you guys. Enjoy your good times together. :D

I am just so estastic for you both!!!!

Looks like your hubby is back to the "Born to be Wild" times. He must be feeling so free out there riding his bike.

Enjoy, celebrate his independence... Happy, happy 4th. 8)

Maryanne

Peggy,

A big double WhooHoo from me! Maybe it's the combination of the Alimta and steroids that have made him a new man! (Sorry, I'm still trying to think positive about the Alimta, since I'm going to start it in a few days. :wink: )

I was wondering, does he take the steroids EVERY day or just when he has chemo? I'm going to be taking them the day before chemo, then I will have them in my chemo drip, and the day after chemo. I hope they make me feel better, but I didn't like them at all when I was having WBR.

So glad to hear he is back to his old self and feeling so energetic. Don't let him "over-do". I usually pay for the good days when I do too much.

Thanks for the positive and upbeat update!

TAnn

What wonderful news.... hey, band - aid or not.... your hubby is feeling good and that is worth "woo hooing" about!! Glad to hear he had his motorcycle ride and that it was "uneventful".... Enjoy the rest of the 4th... God Bless you Both. Love, Sharon