Too much pain

TAnn

TAnn,

I have taken the hard stuff and it's not true. You said once you take it you'll always have to take it. I'm not taking it anymore.

Good luck and prayers to you to find comfort mentally and physically.

Love ya,

Mare

TAnn,

I know what you mean about not wanting to "start" with the oxycontin...Bill didn't want to do that either, but he did / and does feel much better taking the oxycontin. He rarely needs the oxycodone for breakthru pain and he has tolerated it very well, just remember to avoid alcohol...woohoo...I could tell you a story there!

Anyway, if it makes you feel any better, he began weaning himself off of the oxycontin a week ago (in anticipation of taking a ride on our motorcycle on Saturday) and he hasn't had much pain at all, very tolerable with the oxycodone. He has had his steroids increased again to promote a better appetite and hopefully some weight gain...so that could be HIS reason for handling the oxycontin-weaning so well.

Whatever you decide, I hope you are able to be without pain and still function well. Our love and prayers are with you.

TAnn,

Don was given a new medication called Palladone for his hip pain. It was taken just once a day and after he started it, he didn't have to take the hydrocodone at all. It's a controlled substance and you have to get the scrip from the doctor (they can't call it in). The side effects are listed here, but Don had absolutely no side effects at all and it didn't make him sleepy. He took it every morning.

There were precautions with the medicine that the patient should have been prescribed oxycodone or the drerivates of prior to taking palladone to know that the patient could tolerate this class of drugs. Don had NEVER taken oxycodone previously, but had no trouble with the medicine. Also, you can't take it with other opiates, so I don't think you could take it at the same time as oxycontin or oxycodone.

Good stuff! Here are a couple of links:

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/2 ... 01315.html

http://www.purduepharma.com/pressroom/n ... 924-01.htm

Love,

Peggy

Tann

I haven't been on the hard stuff yet but believe me..when I need it I will take it. There are many who have been there and are off of it now without alot of side effects from the weening. From what my doctors have told me (after surgery) if you take pain meds for pain then they won't be addictive. If you are just in a little pain and take the big guns then you might get into trouble. Adjust your decision about what to take by the way you feel. I sure hope you feel much better soon.

Nina

Ask your doctor about the Fentanyl pain patch. It comes in various strengths and has no side effects once you get used to it which only takes a few days. I use it for severe arthritis pain in my neck. It's stronger than oxycontin, you put on a patch and change it every 3 days. I don't have the foggy head or the ups and downs or tiredness I get from pills. My father was put on it when he had lung cancer pain and it helped him tremendously.

Kathy

Lucie takes MS Contin, which I imagine is a relative of Oxycontin. She takes 30mg twice a day, mainly for the pain from damage to her spine. She takes just enough to dampen the pain, and she is still quite functional. We had to experiment with the dosage (with the onc approval, of course) to get to the level she needed without making her so drowsy. Don

TAnn,

Something I learned along the way is that if the pain levels are severe enough I don't experience that dopey drugged feeling very much, unless what I'm receiving is (too much) morphine.

Hoping they get the pain under control and that the chemo does it's job and does it well.

T. I have seen this message since you first posted and just didn't know what to say. It just amazes me in this day and age that pain cannot be controlled without hitting you over the head with a sledge hammer. I hope by the time you read this you will be in much less pain (hopefully none at all).

Let's hope the next treatment will be the Tann magic pill.