great post-op news, chemo ahead, and 5 for 7/13

bunny

first, thanks everyone for the pre-visit prayers. they worked! suki had a great post-op visit today.

he said the word "cured"!!!!! :D

the path is as follows: both spots were cancer, which is both good and bad news - bad in that it means multiple tumors, but good because we watched one of them for 18 months and it barely grew, which means a slow-grower. he took all the remaining lymph nodes after her '00 lobectomy, and 5 of 7 had cancer in them. of course, we knew the outer tumor was LC. no huge surprises, though the lymph nodes are a little nerve-wracking. he wouldn't stage her, because he said there's no way to know if it's a recurrance or the same cancer as last time - she's right at the 5 year mark.

my mom'surgeon was almost ecstatic after seeing her x-ray today - he said her remaining lung is "huge and beautiful". her O2 is good, and he asked her to get rid of the oxygen she has at home by the weekend. she can drive as soon as she's ready to come off the percocet.

the only downside to the visit we expected but hoped against - he is recommending adjuvent chemo. she knows she has a choice, and she hasn't made up her mind yet but she's leaning towards having it. she's never done it before, and it's a scary prospect for her. I hate to see her suffer, but the doctor called it "an insurance policy" that I think is hard to pass up.

he told us to come back in 3 months, but said the magic words: "as far as I am concerned, you're CURED." it was a great moment. he is a great doctor, at a great hospital.

so here's my 5 for 7/13:

1. see above

2. god above

3. this board

4. my mom's spirit

5. see above

I can not thank you all enough. I know I'll need you as we move into the chemo phase, and hopefully I will have opportunities to give back.

xoxo

amie

Nothing is better to hear than the prospect of "cured"!! :D Congratulations on such great news!!

So far mom's really had little problems with the chemo other than the white cells that bottom out, and she's odd about stuff like that anyway. Chemo isn't quite like it used to be "back in the day". Definately still side effects, but something to think about, at least!

I'm so happy for you and Suki!! :D:D:D She's so lucky to have her little girl pulling for her all the time! Keep up the great work and remember that indeed miracles DO happen! :wink:

What a great way to start my day seeing that word - CURED!!! I am so happy for the wonderful report for your mom! My mom just started her adjuvent chemo this past Tuesday - so far so good! She was very nervous, too. It went very smoothly. Prayers will continue for your mom -

Chemo is an individual choice for early stage people and, in your mother's situation, an unclear circumstance as to whether this is a new primary or a recurrence.

Having said that, I would like to say that chemo is not like it used to be. There are wonderful drugs to control nausea, and the nutritionists are there to help you ge thte right foods to fend off problems.

I chose to take the chemo as I wanted to give this fight everything I could the first time around to try to keep from having to fight it again. I had cisplatin and gemzar, and I didn't have very many problems. I worked most days, and faithfully took the anti-nausea medication for three days following chemo treatment, whether I felt I needed it or not.

I did have an issue early on with constipation (not fun), but once I realized that was a problem, I took daily medication for that too and was not bothered again. My platelets went low once, and I had to postpone treatment for a week, but no big deal.

I did not lose my hair, but did have some thinning.

I also went to a conference for work in Colorado right in the middle of the treatments.

Guess I'm getting long winded here, but what I'm trying to say is that she should consider chemo because it's practical to assume that you can carry on most of your normal activities throughout the treatment.

Good luck with whatever decision she makes.

Cindy

Chemo is an individual choice for early stage people and, in your mother's situation, an unclear circumstance as to whether this is a new primary or a recurrence.

Having said that, I would like to say that chemo is not like it used to be. There are wonderful drugs to control nausea, and the nutritionists are there to help you ge thte right foods to fend off problems.

I chose to take the chemo as I wanted to give this fight everything I could the first time around to try to keep from having to fight it again. I had cisplatin and gemzar, and I didn't have very many problems. I worked most days, and faithfully took the anti-nausea medication for three days following chemo treatment, whether I felt I needed it or not.

I did have an issue early on with constipation (not fun), but once I realized that was a problem, I took daily medication for that too and was not bothered again. My platelets went low once, and I had to postpone treatment for a week, but no big deal.

I did not lose my hair, but did have some thinning.

I also went to a conference for work in Colorado right in the middle of the treatments.

Guess I'm getting long winded here, but what I'm trying to say is that she should consider chemo because it's practical to assume that you can carry on most of your normal activities throughout the treatment.

Good luck with whatever decision she makes.

Cindy

Thank you all so much. I was self-conscious posting because so many people here that have come to care about a great deal are struggling hard right now. I am so glad I shared it, though.

I am still on cloud nine!

and thank you, cindy, you really put me at ease.

xoxo

amie

That is tremendous news about your mom. You both must be estastic. Have to pinch yourself to make sure you are not dreaming.

But you aren't as this is reality.

Great News.... :wink:

Maryanne

thanks, everyone, for your words of love and support. it means so much to me.

Maryanne, you hit the nail on the head - I still have moments where I feel almost afraid to believe the doc. but that's where a day at a time comes in, I guess - TODAY, my mom is cancer free. what a gift.

thanks again. I am overwhelmed with love and gratitude for this website, and the people 'in' it.

xoxo

bunny

What wonderful news!

Consolidation chemo is an awfully cheap insurance policy. My doctor was pretty insistant that I take it, and I am glad I did.

It's not as bad as it used to be, and I was able to work through the entire treatment.

I wish you both well, and congrats again.

Regards,

mike_s

wonderful news.

I really like the confidence you have in your doc. He said the good "C-Word"... cured! No other word I can think of has such a glorious ring to it!

congratulations, Suki! A million times over.

now, let's hit the pub for a spot of tea!

Cindi o'h