I have a mystery infection- first one

jcawork

Hello everybody,

I know I have not posted much.

Well, I got a fever last thursday (12 days post chemo)and started to feel pretty terrible. Went in Fri took blood cultures which are so far reading negative (they read each day for 5 days-2 days are neg).

Levequin started.

Formal CBC at a lab not at the office revealed

"toxic Grans as slight"

Has anyone ever seen this on a CBC? I was told it means bacteria was in my White blood cells and it means bacterial infection.

Also I have no symptoms of anything except fever and fluey feeling. Is this norm?

Have usual pneumonitis cough and wheeze, but thats it. Have no idea how I got an infection.

Jen

Jen,

Sorry you have something new to hassle with! You could use a break, couldn't you?

Anyway, I have no personal experience or knowledge here. I did find info on the net as follows that explains grans is short for granulocytes (or granulation) and that they are always the first-line of defense the body sends out to fight infection. So the presence of a slight number would just confirm you had/have an infection, but doesn't tell anything about the origin of the infection.

Hope it's helpful,

Leslie

Toxic granulation is a stress response to acute infections, burns, and drug poisoning.

White Blood Cells: WBC, Leukocytes White blood cells (WBC) are produced in the bone marrow and stored in various lymphoid tissues such as the thymus, lymph nodes, spleen, tonsils, etc. White blood cells play a major role in defending the body against infections and foreign invaders such as bacteria, fungi, viruses and parasites. There are five types of white blood cells: grans (also known as neutrophils), lymphs, monocytes, eosinophils, basophils.

Polymorphonuclear Granulocytes: Polys, Segs, Neutrophils, Grans

Polys are mature white blood cells with Bands being the less mature polys. Neutrophils (polys and bands) are considered scavenger cells and are the first to arrive at a site of infection or injury. The main function of neutrophils is phagocytosis, meaning that they ingest, and then kill bacteria and foreign matter.

Normal Value: 40-78% of WBC or 1200-7800/cu mm.

I think it is normal for you to pick up a bug or an infection after chemo. Your immune system is down, your blood counts are down and the littlest germs can't be fought off. Seems it has happened to many on here. Hang in there Jen, have they started any antibiotics? You don't want it to get any worse.