Nice Memorial Service @ hospital where Jim died

LynneH

Well, I've avoided posting in the grieving section, because it's a place no one wants to belong. Not exactly the Cheers bar.

Jim died March 31st and I knew he wanted to be cremated and have no service. We never talked about those plans after he was diagnosed but had talked about those things periodically throughout the years.

Today, the pastoral dept. at the hospital he died at, held a memorial service to remember those that had died in their care the last 6 months. I attended and it was full. I was alone but most were represented by families. We each brought a long-stemmed flower. As a part of the service, one spokesperson for each family brought their flower to the front to place into one of 3 vases, creating vibrant, beautiful memory bouquets. You had to introduce yourself and mention any family you had attending and then mention the name of the person you were honoring. I managed to stutter my name out and said I was there to remember my husband Jim (tissue in hand the whole time!)

Although I weeped like a baby the moment my rear hit the pew in the chapel, it was very touching and nice. Thought I would share it with those on this board as you truly understand what this is all about.

Thanks for the ear,

Lynne

Lynne, I'm glad you had the chance to attend the memorial service. When people tell their families they don't want a service, they really forget that the service is not so much for the deceased as it is for those left behind. It is a time to celebrate the life now ended, and to help those here move on. Take care. Don

Lynne, I am so happy that you went to the service. As Don said, the service is for the living... it is a form of closure and I think you will benefit tremendously from the experience. What strength it took for you to place that flower in the vase.... it definetely was a milestone.

Lynne, i read your post--and feel your heartache. I had an experience myself yesterday. I had to go to a wedding in the church my daughter was married in--may 14. That is when my husband walked her down the aisle. I have not been in that church since. Yesterday , there I was sitting in the middle of the church--without Mike. Not sitting in the front pew with him-as I did May 14. I never dreamed on July 23rd I would be sitting at that wedding without him--or at least without him at home. It was hard for me. But I did it. I understand your pain. God bless you, and I wish you peace and healing for your heart. Nancy C

Lynne - this sounds like such a beautiful service. Your pain and deep love for Jim are so obvious through your words. I know how hard this is for you, having lost the love of my life, too! I am saying prayers that you will continue to be strong!!!