Question about radiation treatment and not eating

My BIL was diagnosed a couple of months ago with lc and has 5 brain mets. Both he and his wife have told us that they don't know what stage he is in and very vague about any type of prognosis other than being very upbeat that he is going to beat this. We are all praying very hard for his recovery. He has had numerous radiation treatments for his brain mets and has one more chemo cocktail scheduled for next week. He is almost through with 25 radiation treatments for his lung cancer. He has been eating well until the last week or so and was reduced to only eating scrambled eggs and Ramen Noodles. Now he can't even eat that and is in so much pain....he can swallow food but when it hits the opening of his stomach, it is almost unbearable...even his saliva hurts. Has not eaten in two days and thought when he visited with his doctor yesterday that he would give him something..instead the doctor just reminded him that he told him that it would be "bad" and it would take some time before his stomach improved now that they have moved to the actual area where the tumor is. Any advice I can give him and his wife would be greatly appreciated. I am sorry that I don't have any statistics but I think they are trying not to tell the family any more than necessary.

thank you so much for any advice.

My advice is someone in the family should call his doctor and tell him that you understand that it is very common for people going through radiation treatments to develop esophageal burns, thrush infections of the throat and gastric mucosa, etc. And it is also common for their doctors to TREAT those problems with things like "Magic Mouthwash" ( a mixture of maalox, a local topical anesthetic, and something else), and/or antifungal medications, so their patients do not become dehydrated or unable to eat.

There are treatments out there to help with the side effects. Make the docs treat them. And make absolutely certain that he does not become dehydrated! I believe it's the dehydration that is responsible for so many cancer patients developing DVTs!

Hope he gets the relief he deserves soon. Push the Doc to do the right thing. If that doesn't work find a new doc.

Amazing that a Physician would just ignore this kind of thing.

My husband just finished radiation (35 tx). His Dr. gave him a prescription for Miles Magic also called BMX. It is equal parts of Benedryl, Maalox and Xylocaine. He takes 1 teaspoon 4 X/day. Before meals and at bedtime. He also takes liquid Carafate. This combo really seems to help. When the pain is bad despite this combo we have Lortabs on hand. Please have your family discuss this with the dr. To make your BIL go through this unmedicated is cruel.

Good Luck!

Cheryl

I will send the information you both provided to my SIL. I know that he has some medications for his stomach and that is probably why he was able to eat until recently. I too find it beyond comprehension that this doctor is treating him this way. My FIL had lung cancer and used this same doctor and my MIL was VERY disappointed that my BIL did not go to another doctor when his regular physician referred him to this doctor...apparently she knew what she was talking about. I live in another state and it is difficult to get home as much as I like so I try to do what I can to support them through email and sending care packages, etc. This has been very upsetting to his wife because he held on as long as he could with the pain knowing that he had this doctor appointment and then this is all he had to offer! She was beside herself with anger over this...I think they should find another doctor TODAY but he is the one who will have to make that decision but I hope that he has seen the light about this doctor...thank you so much to all who posted.

Ditto what Fay A. said.

It isn't at all unheard of or unusual to change doctors. I've done it myself, plus have dumped a few that weren't serving any purpose. This stuff is confusing, to say the least, and it is important, I think, to have a doctor that works WITH you and wants to help rather than just let you suffer so many side effects.

You all have my best wishes.

Di

If your BIL has brain mets, he is stage IV, which is not good. But it is treatable and people have survived -- many are here on this website. Your BIL must eat, even if it is all liquid, such as Ensure, Breeze, Smoothies, soft ice cream, etc. He needs liquids to keep from being dehydrated, as Fay said. Also, I agree the pain should be controlled, and if he is not getting the care from this doctor he wants, he needs to check with a second doctor. Don

What got me through the esophagitis during chest radiation was popsicles. Mac & cheese. Mashed potatoes. But mostly the popsicles which were good for hydration. I liked cold things mostly -- vanilla shakes were a real treat.

This just takes some time to get through, but I fail to see why they can't help your BIL through this somewhat.

Take Care.

Di

Guest Jtate58

Just ditto about the miracle mouthwash my dad could of nevewr made it through 45 treatments. Additionaly to increase his calories we gave him glucerna boost if you are not diabetic and added it with benecalorie its a substance that has 250 calories per dietery supplement we buy it through Walgreens over the phone not sold in stores it was like finding a miracle to try to keep his wight up and hydrated.

Thanks

Concerned Daughter

Ditto Ditto to all that was said. ESPECIALLY about second opinions! The Dr should be treating the side effects of the rad.!!! There are things he can do to help him thru this part.

The magic mouthwash does help, and anything he can swallow get lots of it. I liked deviled eggs. Strange huh? Good luck, Cindy

Hi Don:

I suspected as much and that's why they haven't really told anyone what stage it is. That gives me so much hope that there are people on here that have survived Stage IV. I got an email from her this morning that he coughed up blood yesterday...really upset them. His mother was there too. They called his regular doctor and he said that this sometimes happen. Still not eating much and is taking pain pills now. He really didn't want to take them but has no choice now. Another SIL that lives here in the same city with me just began working for an oncologist and she told me that as soon as the radiation treatments are over with, he will start getting some relief and I hope that is true. My husband is on a trip and I just don't know if I should tell him about this new development or not...he is so guilty leaving on this trip (planned for a year) with his brother sick but his brother insisted that he go.

I really appreciate everyone's support and help in answering my questions and I forward all suggestions to my SIL and she really appreciates it too.

thanks Brenda

If your BIL has brain mets, he is stage IV, which is not good. But it is treatable and people have survived -- many are here on this website. Your BIL must eat, even if it is all liquid, such as Ensure, Breeze, Smoothies, soft ice cream, etc. He needs liquids to keep from being dehydrated, as Fay said. Also, I agree the pain should be controlled, and if he is not getting the care from this doctor he wants, he needs to check with a second doctor. Don

Thanks everyone for the different food suggestions, mouthwashes, etc. I am forwarding all that information to my SIL. He says that he has no problems swallowing...the unbearable pain starts when it first hits his stomach...opening is inflamed or ulcerated from radiation treatments. He does have the pain killer that someone here suggested that his doctor gave him but it's not working well enough to help him eat. He says sometimes even his salvia hurts. He was able to tolerate the clear broth but the pedialite burned horribly so he that's out...sending out the popcycles, etc. suggestions to them this morning...thanks everyone and my business is slow this week so I hope to search for more information on this site...it is great for patients and family members. My family really appreciates everyone's help.

take care, Brenda

Brenda....

Don't know if anyone hit on it or not as i just glossed over the responses....

Mom did 36 rounds or radiation and when the pain got TERRIBLE for her...it was generally a yeast infection in the esophagus. She said otherwise the "magic mouthwash/swallow" worked for exactly 7 minutes and she could eat almost anything during that time...shoved alot of protein down while it was working. Breads are still the worst, anything starchy is tough. Amazingly, saltine crackers and cheese were a staple even when it was really bad.

Hopes and prays that your BIL get's what he needs to be able to eat again...mom was STARVING by the time she got the medicine to clear up the yeast infection!

Maybe it's what is bothering him, too.

Hi Missy:

Thanks for the information, I sent it on to my SIL. My SIL called the doctor's office and canceled his radiation treatment for today and later this afternoon the doctor called and is stopping the treatments for about a week so that he can get some relief. I truly appreciate everyone's help and it is so comforting for family members to know that there is this great place to come for answers during this stressful time.

take care, Brenda