more complications for Suki

bunny

I am so, so sorry to have been so absent for the last few days. you were all so THERE for me, I want to be the same for you, no matter what. I will read and respond to posts later today. meantime, here's what we've been up to:

I brought Suki in for a post-complications (peric. eflusion and PE) check-up on Wed., and they took her from the echocardiogram to an ambulance to the hospital. her appointment was for 2:30, by 6:30 she was on the operating table having over a half liter of blood drained from around her heart. she had some cardiac and respiratory distress during the procedure, and stayed on a respirator over night.

they scared the heck out of me yesterday morning, when they called at 8:00 and said I had to get there within the hour to consent to another procedure on her behalf. I was frantic - I roused a colleague to cover me in court for the morning and raced over there, only to find her awake and off the respirator, which was great. turns out there was no emergency, they just wanted to a do a procedure while she was still out cold, but she beat them to it.

in a nutshell, the blood thinners she need for her pulmonary embolism seem to have caused her to bleed into her already existing pericardial eflusion, which explains why her SOB was still so bad. now, she has a window (read: tube) in, continuing to drain fluid. later, they'll put a "sclerosing" or scarring agent in there to make sure the fluid can't build up around her heart again.

since she clearly can not go back on blood thinners, they put a filter in her main vein yesterday (Fay A., thanks to you this wasn't a shock!)which will prevent any future clots from getting up to her lung. that procedure sent her into atrial fibrillation which seems to have righted itself with medicine. needless to say, she feels like crap and is very disheartened by it all. she is such a trouper, the poor woman has been through the ringer.

seems like everything that could go wrong for her has, so I figure it has to get better now, right? and I keep reminding her she is cancer free, so once she gets through all of this she's good to go!

I know you're all pulling for her, and I thank you. hopefully, today is the beginning of feeling better for Suki.

what a crazy few days its been. my brother came home from vacation yesterday, so I got a bit of a break from it all. my job has been SO understanding, but I have to get some work done today, now that my bro can hang out with her so I will sign on and see what's up with all of you later tonight.

xoxo

amie

I think you're right - it's got to start getting better. Your poor mom! Knowing you're there to look out for her has got to make this whole ugly experience a little less ugly for her. Love is the best medicine.

Don't worry about work - it's obvious what a dilligent person you are and that you have high standards for yourself. The people who work with you are carrying a little of the load for you right now because they feel you have earned that support. You'd do the same for one of them in the same situation. So please don't put any extra pressure on yourself right now. Life has demanded you go above and beyond the call of duty and you have more than met the challenge. You're a good daughter and a good human being.

Leslie

Amie,

My thoughts have been with you and Suki all through your journey...since the beginning. This latest development has certainly been a step in the WRONG directin for sure. BUT Suki IS cancer free!!!!! Let's not forget that!

It is difficult to care for mothers when we are not present immediately. I was 1-1/2 hours away. I too have a brother, but he was 6 hours away. So you can guess the rest of that story.

Your mother appears to be a strong willed, determined woman. You appear the same. I will pray that all this "mess" gets turned around very fast and everything gets moving again in the right direction.

Positive thoughts and sincere prayers being sent to NY. Amie.

Kasey

Hi Amie,

Positive vibes being sent to your mom for her conditon to turn around.

She has been through much too much and things will start to improve for her.

Please know that she has so many prayers being sent her way.

Fingers and all crossed for more positive results.

Hang in there, I know things will change for the better.

Maryanne

Sometimes the devil really is in the details. I am so sorry your Mom is having such a rough go of it. I am hoping that she is well on her way to a full recovery.

Tell her I'm over on the West Side of the Continent, cheering her on. It's tough...but so is she.

thank you all so much. I can't tell you how much your support means to us.

BIG sigh of relief, here. suki had a much better day today - no major life threatening events, anyway. her chest tube came out, the filter is in and her heart rate has been stable for more than 24 hours now. I have come to realize what a beautiful moment the removal of the Foley catheter is...it's like the first step towards normalcy. she is so much calmer than she's been in weeks, now that she can catch her breath. god is so, so good.

suki insisted that I take a day off tomorrow, which in my book still means seeing her but just not spending the day there. my bro will be there, so I will hang out in the park in my neighborhood, on the East River looking out over the NYC skyline, and go see her around dinner time. secret: I can see the hospital from there, so I'll still be keeping my eye on her. :wink:

thank you again, friends. I love you.

xoxo

amie

What good news, girlfriend! Your mom's on her way to all this being a bad memory!

Enjoy your day off. Do something you haven't done since you were a kid. I bought a botle of some great giant soap bubbles and twirled around in the backyard the other day watching the big rainbow shining bubbles floating against the blue sky. I haven't done that in a long time and it really tickles your eyes and makes you smile!

Leslie

Hi Aimee,

Hi Aimee

Iam so glad of the news that you mom is feeling better. You all most be so relieved.

Sending prayers to her for strength and a speedy recovery.

You probably had your day off already. I hope you had a relaxing day and did not worry too much about your mom. Your brother was with her so she was fine.

It was a beatiful day here in Jersey and in NY I hope you took advantage of that and just felt that sun on your face. 8)

Do tell about your day. :D

Maryanne

Maryanne

alright, Maryanne, since you asked:

this was my day off:

1. snuggle with David the Irish, before he left

for work. he's the best.

2. favorite 12-step meeting on the planet.

3. brunch with friends.

4. 3 hours laying around like a lazy a%& in the

park with a book and my MP3 player.

5. one LITTLE hour with Suki, where she did 3 laps

around the hospital floor on only 3 liters

of O2!!

6. manicure (still only 6 bucks out here in the

boros!)

7. spending some quality time with the friends

I love here at the LCSC.

perfect day so far!

xoxo

amie

That what I wanted to hear Amie, a day for Amie. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

You certainly made the best of your day off. Thanks for sharing. Loved it!!

I am so glad you mom is on the mend. I have a feeling she will be home soon.

Take care Bunny girl :wink:

Maryanne

Glad to hear you had a good day and that Suki is doing better. It was a beautiful day yesterday so I'm glad you got a chance to enjoy the sunshine a bit. But prey tell . where did you get a $6 manicure - out here in the burbs of NJ it ranges $12-$15.

Paula

Dear Bunny,

You know, there's a lot of give and take when it comes to support. This is the part were you take the support and NOT worry about giving to us. WE give you support YOU TAKE IT! Okay? :D:wink:

Trust me, the table will turn and you WILL get your chance to GIVE! But for now, just sit back and let US do OUR JOB and GIVE YOU SUPPORT ?!?!?! :roll::wink:

((((((((BUNNY & SUKI)))))))

You and mom are still in my prayers.