Insurance Dilemma

flacrakr

In March, 2004, I changed employers. My new employer didn't offer health insurance, so I carried the health insurance from my ex-employer via COBRA. This insurance is due to expire on September 15th. As this date approaches, my anxiety level rises. I'm starting to feel panic. I've talked to an insurance salesman who can insure me through some federally mandated program. The cost is more than double (about $600/month) I'm meeting with him on Tuesday to go over the plan; spending caps, pre-existing conditions, etc. As long as I'm working, I can handle the premium. But, of course, my fear is telling me that if and when I'm no longer able to work, I'm uninsured.

Can anyone help me with the options available concerning health insurance for people diagnosed with cancer? Both my parents died from cancer, but they were old enough to qualify for Medicare. My Dad was treated throught the VA. Unfortunately, the VA doesn't take ALL vets anymore. When I applied for VA care, I was declined because I made too much money. Apparently, if you make more than $4.25 / hour, you're rich by VA standards.

I appreciate any feedback you can give me.

Well Oliver, I don't know the answer for you. BUT I do know there are a few, if not several, here who are quite expert in this matter. And I am certain they will be coming along very soon with all you need to know.

So just relax a little and shortly you will be up on all you can do!

Good to hear from you, Oliver!

Kasey

Oliver,

? We do not know.

We are scared about insurance coverage, too.

Brian has stopped working. He is on Cobra, we are holding our breath...........

I read something in the policy that said that if you were disabled you could extend Cobra, but I really did not get it.

We don't even understand how his status affects his 401 K

Wouldn't ya think that LC is enuf????, but no, we have to mess around w/ all this 'stuff', too.

We will be watching for answers, too, and want you to know that we understand and we care.

pat and brian

First off check the experation date on the COBRA, I thought it was 36 mos too.

Second, Medicare only kicks in after the retirement age OR you have been on SS disability for 2 yrs. there may a few other reasons too. I am covered by Medicare due to being on disability since 2001. I had to wait for the 2 yrs before it started on me.

Third, if you are out of work or can not afford the high premiums of private ins. you can use Medicaid.

Check about the Cobra first.

Good luck, Cindy

Hi Oliver,

I would think that if all else fails, the VA would take you. Stay after them and go right to the Hospital and talk with the Patient Advocate. Another option would be your Congressman or Senator. Be persistent and I think you will prevail. I know several people who have. Good Luck.

CharlieD

If you were disabled while covered under the COBRA plan, it should exend far enough so that you can qualify for SS disability, and then Medicare after a period of time. I'm not so sure any more on how long, but your COBRA plan documents should tell you about that, and I think you can find out on the internet about the requirements for Medicare due to disability.

Good luck to you.

Di

My understanding is that you can be on COBRA for 24 months. At that point, assuming you went on SSDI, when you started on COBRA, you qualify for Medicare. If you die while on COBRA with family coverage, then the family can continue on COBRA for another 36 months.

My understanding. Not sure if it's completely right. My reading of the regs. Need a good insurance attorney to make sure...maybe Bunny or Andrea can help us. Would like to have someone confirm for me. Take care.

Oliver,

I don't have any advice for you but wanted to let you know you are not alone with these insurance woes...

The ONLY reason I am still at my job is the insurance. To Cobra out, for me and my son, is almost $800.00 a month, which I really can't afford to take on. I live in a small town so 'decent' jobs, which would start me right off on another insurance, are pretty scarce. I'm afraid to just out and out quit, and NOT have insurance for any amount of time because I'm not sure if another carrier would take me on when I got a new job because of my 'pre-existing' condition if there is a lapse. Otherwise, I would have quit long ago and worked two jobs at half the pay each, just to get out of my work situation. Its the insurance that stops me.

So basically, I am in a similar insurance boat (the Titanic!) as you. Sorry to go on, I have no advice, just empathy!! Fear of no medical insurance is a constant companion over here...

As I understand it,in order to qualify for a cobra extention beyond the 18 month period,you must have been certified as disabled within 60 days of your termination date from your employer by social security.If so you can get an additional 11 months of cobra.Your insuance carrier however can charge you up yp 150% of your existing cobra premium.So if you are paying $300 per month now ,you will have to pay up to $450 per month to continue cobra.That,s how I,m reading it and my insuance carrier agreed.

Mike Evans

Oliver,keep checking the VA as they often have programs available that are hard for folks to find out about.Check with the advocates dept.

I have coverage with them cause I'm a disabled vet but have been in hosp.w others who were not and were still being covered somehow.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

After posting my query, I had a brilliant idea. :D Why not google COBRA? As a few had already said: if I'm disabled, I get an 11 month extension. And if I die, my spouse and dependents get an 18 month extension.

I'm not ready for the disabled route just yet. I'm still working (and boy, is it ever hot here in Orlando!) And I sure as heck am not ready to die!! That's not an option as I have no spouse or dependents to insure anyway. :?

I found out the name of the federal mandate that the insurance man was telling me about. HIPPA It allows people who have been insured without a break in insurance of more than 90 days to get health insurance without the pre-existing condition exclusion. It's pricey, though.

Thank you Charlie and Frank for the VA information. I really need to take the time to pursue this avenue. I stopped in at the VA Hospital here when I first got out of the hospital last Sept. They told me then that there were appeal processes I could pursue. I then started back to work, and with work, treatment, etc, the VA went on the back burner. Time to move it to the front burner.

Thanks again.

darn, I wish I saw this earlier. it sounds like you got some answers, but please do not hesitate to contact me with questions. I work with union health plans, and can help you. not that I have the COBRA regs memorized, but I am happy to help if I can.

drop me a PM or an email if you have more questions about the dsiability extension, or some other part of it all.

xoxo

amie

Oliver, are you by any chance a Vietnam Vet. If you served in Vietnam and have lung cancer then you can apply to the Agent Orange Fund. I would assume the VA has already told you this, but then again they are not always the most efficient organization. My husband applied and could get his treatment thru the VA. However, he is on medicare and also my insurance so we are not using the VA for his cancer care, but he he gets his RX and other treatments there for free. Please PM me if you need any additional info.

Karen H