Much Better

stand4hope

Don is a lot better today. No fever, much stronger, feels a lot better and finally started eating today. There was no cancer detected in the biopsies of his lungs, just inflammation, so the pulmonary doc says this has to be caused by a drug, probably the Alimta (chemo), since the only other thing he is taking is steroids.

Physical therapy came in to evaluate him this morning. They had him walk around, tested his strength, etc., and he did great. He’s really very strong in his upper body and legs. He was a little wobbly because of not being up for 4 days, but otherwise, he did great.

The only problem he had is breathing on exertion, and that’s because of the inflammation in his lungs. His O2 saturation drops pretty low on exertion (80-83 w/6 liters of O2), so I think that will have to improve before they release him, but it will improve. It might not get back to where it was, but it should get a lot better than it is now.

Other than that, he’s good to go and will hopefully be released sooner rather than later.

Thank you all again for your prayers and thoughts. Hopefully, I can get him home in a few days.

Love,

Peggy

A VERY encouraging report, Peggy...and I'm so glad to hear it!

Hope you've got him home very soon...and that his breathing and strength increases daily!!

Remind him that you almost NEVER serve green Jello at home to encourage him...eh? :wink:

Oh Peggy, that is the best news. :mrgreen: The power of prayer really works!! And Don had so many sent his way.

Keep us updated to when he is coming home, which I feel will be real soon.

I am so happy for this turn around and it is not cancer causing it, just the chemo. That is so great.

Take care you two. When Don comes home make sure he follows YOUR rules. :D no more of this macho stuff. :roll:

Maryanne

Cindi,

They started giving him Solumedrol (steroid) on Saturday and have reduced the Decadron now to 4 mg. a day. The pulmonary said he was giving him heavy doses of the Solumedrol, but I don't know how much. The Solumedrol has helped a lot, and I think it's what is responsible for his suddenly beginning to eat again, too. They also added Keppra to prevent partial seizures, a blood thinner to prevent blood clots since he's been off his feet for so long, and Allegra (anti-histamine).

Love,

Peggy

Peggy,

I must have missed this good news post. He is one tough cookie, that man of yours.

My daughter just came off Keppra. Make sure to read up on the side effects, she didn't really display them but you should be aware of them.

Many prayers that this good news continues for a loooooooooooooong time.

Peggy, SO very glad to hear this news. I have been following your posts but really unable to post alot since I was "borowing" a Pc, but alas I finally got a new one and can post again. He is definetly a fighter and when you et him home as much as I know you take care of his every need dont foget yourself, as I am sure you are exhuasted and you are very important too!!!

Take care and god bless you

Kim