Help-Late stage n-sc in San Fran

Mike here-My mother was just diagnosed w/ stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer which has spread to her brain. Docs have said she has six months and theres nothing they can do other than full brain radiation. Just in the last 4-5 days I've found there's many things that can be done to extend her life comfortably. We need help as to finding a doc that can at least help her fight, alternative therapies, clinical trials, success stories ......any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to call collect Mike 650-333-0555

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about your Mom. Did you try UCSF? UCSF is in the top ten or twenty in the country with cancer research and treatment. Also you can try Stanford Medical Center. Call the oncology department and ask for the New Patient Coordinator. They are pretty fast at getting back with you if you leave a message.

Good luck and I will add your Mom to my prayers.

T.

Mike, get your mom to another dr. there are many things that can be done. chemo, radiation..... don't let her give up because one dr said that.

i read on here today and can't find it now where it is a "letter to all newly diagnosed cancer patients. it is probably under this section. check them all out for about today to 5 days back. it really gives good advice. it also gives a phone number to call 1-800-4-cancer. thru here you can ask for a PDQ state of the art cancer treatment printout for your mom's typeand stage of cancer. try hard to find this message on the board. if not pm me and i will recheck everyone for you...

Guest peggyd

The WEBSITE letter Norme told you about is EXCELLENT! Don't ever give up. Find another doctor; one who can give you options. Don't just buy in to the six month stuff. Our doctor's husband was given less than six months for his bladder cancer ... 10 years ago. Do your research. The web is great for that. Read articles written here from people who are making it. Do all you can to BEAT this thing. Never give up hope and faith that God will be with you ... as He is with all of us. God bless you and your mom and know that all our prayers are with you.

Hi Mike-

I'm going to call you when I get home. My mom was treated in the Bay Area. Now she's getting treated in Sacramento so I can be involved, but I talked to some people and may be able to help guide you in the right direction.

Talk to you soon.

Natalie

Mike, have you looked into gamma knife for the brain mets? My dad had this done on his three brain mets in January, it is a very noninvasive procedure, and the side effects are minimal. It is a direct, high dosage of radiation to each tumor, it really kills the tumors in one treatment, and the tumors are then re absorbed by the body.

The number and size of the tumors are factors as to whether or not a person is a candidate for Gamma Knife, but location is not an issue from what my dads neurosurgeon explained to me.

Take care, and keep us posted. I hope this site is very useful to you. Deb

I am in a severe state of frustration to at the present time, my mother has decided to give up without a fight , Immediately after the docs told our family that she had 6-9 months to live at best, and there was no hope and NOTHING we could do. I am using all that you guys have said and the wealth of information out here to show her there are many many things we can do and hopefully to put a fight in her.

Hey Mike.

Don't let mom give up. Print her off stories from the good news section and read them to her. There's many cases where stupid doctors have said six months... and it's three years later... and still going strong. (Check out mday's post in this forum called "website"; there's a great link in it your mom HAS to read.) A lot of it, I believe, has to do with positive attitude; good survival stories are great for turning attitudes in the right direction. If you want, I can send you my story. (it used to be in the "Inspiration" forum, along with a bunch of others, but no more). You could also ask people to send you their stories as well - there's some real good ones out there. I've been around for 26 years since my surgery, and I need to be around for at least another 60 years to get done all that I have planned! :wink: Take care Mike,

David P.

Mike, I hope by now your mom has changed her mind and decided to fight this horrible cancer. without a fight, it is death for sure....tell her that my husband had whole head radiation and a couple weeks ago they did a scan and nothing is showing. this was great news to us. i am not saying it is gone, per the dr, but it is not showing and per the dr that is good. it may have arrested it a month, year, 10 yrs. no one knows at the present time. one just hopes and we can live with hope. if we can stop it in its tracks for any period of time, we have accomplished great things. my husband may not be out cutting the grass, but he is with me and as of today, he still functions for himself. still keeps me company in both mind and body and i will take that and hopefully he to will take it this way for as long as the good Lord and the chemo and radiations keep working. Give a copy of this to your mom.....

Mike, I hope by now your mom has changed her mind and decided to fight this horrible cancer. without a fight, it is death for sure....tell her that my husband had whole head radiation and a couple weeks ago they did a scan and nothing is showing. this was great news to us. i am not saying it is gone, per the dr, but it is not showing and per the dr that is good. it may have arrested it a month, year, 10 yrs. no one knows at the present time. one just hopes and we can live with hope. if we can stop it in its tracks for any period of time, we have accomplished great things. my husband may not be out cutting the grass, but he is with me and as of today, he still functions for himself. still keeps me company in both mind and body and i will take that and hopefully he to will take it this way for as long as the good Lord and the chemo and radiations keep working. Give a copy of this to your mom.....and tell her what the he//// has she to lose......