Any news on Peggy's Don?

Fay A.

Thank you, Fay. I'm here. The ICU visiting hours are limited, even for wives: 10a to 6p, and 8:30p to 10p. I got home at 6:45, took care of the dogs, got the mail, and sent an email update to family. I then crawled in bed at 7:50 with all my clothes on and woke up 45 min. ago - 3:00 a.m. I was so exhausted, I couldn't keep my eyes open. I didn't even eat dinner. I wanted to take the phone off the hook, but couldn't in case the hospital called. Nobody called and I was grateful for the sleep.

Don is doing really well. He's still heavily sedated, but he is responsive to their questions, can raise both arms and legs on command, and was able to hold onto the rail to support himself when they changed the sheets. The nurse asked him to open his eyes, and he did - about half way. She said, "Oh, you have pretty eyes" and then he popped them open great big like "you want to really see them?" :lol::lol: It was really funny - we all laughed.

The only problem they had during surgery was with his breathing. The surgeon said his lungs didn't like the procedure at all and they had him on 100% ventilator support. When I left, he was down to 50% support, and I called the nurse when I woke up and she said respiratory had reduced it some more. The plan is to remove the ventilator today to see how he does.

He has a chest tube, is receiving constant sedation (can't remember the name - it starts with a "p", like propanol, or something like that), and a morphine pump. He denied pain all day yesterday, but she said he pushed the button twice during the night. I guess he automatically gets so much every hour without pushing the button.

He's also hooked up to everything else you can imagine, including numbing medicine that goes directly to the two incisions. This procedure was the VATS procedure, I didn't know that was what it was called until yesterday.

The surgeon took two sections instead of one as planned, one from the upper right lobe and one from the lower right lobe. He said he couldn't see anything with his eye, but he did say that his lung was quite stiff, not pliable like a healthy lung. If I'm correct, I think the alveolitis is probably causing that.

The real test will be today when they stop the sedation and remove the ventilator. It will probably be a rough couple of days for him, but after seeing how strong he was yesterday, I'm hoping he will do ok. Of course, the breathing will not have improved yet, but hopefully we'll have some results soon and they can treat this problem. His platelets are a little low, probably from the Alimta, but not low enough to be a problem.

Well, that's it so far. I felt good about him when I came home, and he is getting constant attention, so I suppose that's why I was able to sleep so well last night. I think I'll go eat now. I'll keep you posted. Oh, and today is his birthday. 57 years old. Happy Birthday to Don!

Love to all,

Peggy

Happy Birthday pretty eyes!

Thank you for the great update, Peggy. I hope that everything they are doing will keep him comfortable and out of trouble.

I thank you for every detail. I think I might be looking seriously at the VATS procedure. Doc told me basically the same thing. He said my lung was like an old dirty sponge :!: that has been accumulating junk in the basement. :roll: Compare that with one off the shelf at the hardware storeshelf. :cry: Also said on another occasion that it is like an orange peel and doesn't like to hold staples. :? He said these things are from the radiation. Anyway. The more I can learn from you the better.

Hope you get some rest and are able to be there for hubby.

Cindi o'h

Dear Peggy,

Poor Don, he has been through the wringer. I had to laugh about the eyes. Earl had gorgeous blue eyes and they got a lot of attention and, boy, could be bat them. But I think that the ego is still there with Don is good news.

When someone you love is in the hospital, you live a very different life. Not only are you worried about them, but there is very little normalcy in your life which I think makes even the 'new normal' very disconcerting.

You know that many, many here are thinking about you and your family. You are one strong lady Peggy but I know you wish you didn't have to be.

I hope today is a good day for Don and he starts his road to recovery. Keep us posted.

Peggy,

I am glad to hear that Don is responsive and I hope they are able to remove the ventilator today so he can be home, where he belongs, in no time.

regards

Peggy

Thanks for the update on Don. I looked several times last night and was so glad to find it this morning. It sounds like Don came through the operation as well as could be expected. Hopefully, he will get off the ventilator today and you'll get some answers from the doctors pretty soon. In the meantime, Peggy, take care of yourself too. You must be exhausted.

Continuing prayers for Don and your family.

Gail p-m

Oh, there you are!!

Thanks for keeping vigil for Peggy and Don, Fay.

Peggy,

Thank you for your generous gift of the update. We are with you every step of this journey.

We think that the report is very very positive and that you and Don are awesome.

How is your son?

We continue prayer and loving support.

Pat and Brian

Peggy, it sounds like the birthday boy is working so hard to come through this and help the docs get the results they want! you hang in there, and let us know how we can support you. I know he's going to come through this and feel much better.

love and prayers,

xoxo

amie

I can stop holding my breath now. Whew, have been watching for this update. Sounds good Peggy. Thanks for the update. I hope you will find Don even better today. The hospital environment is so very exhausting , but I always feel relieved somehow when Mike is in there because something is being done for him. It's so stressful to be at home observing and wondering if we should be doing more or what to do etc. Praying hard for you , Don and your son. Happy Birthday Don!! Hope it will be a better day.

Love,

Sue

What a lousy way for Don to spend his birthday! Please give him a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY from all of us! It sounds as if he's doing very well. I'm very glad you were able to get some well needed rest and am really glad the phone didn't ring. I'm still saying prayers!!!!!

Thanks Peggy for the positve update. Don is going to get stronger and stronger and will be out of that hospital before you know it.

He is some fighter with a wonderful sense of humor. Even under these circumstances when you can't even speak. :shock::D

Continued prayers sent out to Don for fast recouperaton and always to you for added strength.

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DON!!!!

Maryanne