System Lets Doctors Detect Lung Cancer Earlier

http://www.theindychannel.com/health/48 ... etail.html

POSTED: 5:14 pm EST August 4, 2005

COLUMBUS, Ind. -- New technology is allowing some doctors to detect lung cancer earlier than ever before, RTV6's Stacia Matthews reported Thursday.

Columbus Regional Hospital is one of only five hospitals in the country with the Super Dimension Bronchus image guiding system. The system allows doctors to biopsy the type of lesions that were once considered too small to examine -- lesions that doctors normally would let grow before a biopsy would be attempted.

"Finding small lesions in the lung is really like searching for a needle in a haystack. This makes that much more feasible and accurate and possible," said Columbus Regional's Dr. David Wilson.

Wilson said he hopes the new system will change the way doctors manage lung cancer, which is the No. 1 cancer cause of death in Americans.

Rich!! This is exactly what I was looking for!!

surgeon said that he would not be able to needle biopsy because of size but is willing to do VATS even though the surrounding tissue is all beat up ...for me, a high risk surgery. This article and technique/equipment looks like something that may be just perfect for me. I have my work cut out for me on Monday! Thanks so much for posting this!

Cindi o'h

Pat, I know!

I told Rich via pm that I am already planning on flying out there via corporate jet for cancer patients (something I learned on the board again this week). I am needing to drum up folks in the Columbus area that would be willing to sneak pizza into the hospital recovery for me. And I have already emailed my surgeon's nurse with this info. asking doctor for his thoughts. I just need to pack my bags!

(when the pupil is ready, the teacher appears...or something along those lines)

Cindi o'h