had it with the tobacco companies! QUESTION for Katie

gail

I was actually going to post this last night--Six Feet Under took my attention.

Hubby and I spent the afternoon in Atlantic City, and no, we still don't have money for college tuition. :lol:

I did watch one man with a big pile of chips smoking cigarette after cigarette. I KNEW he was addicted. He didn't look well either. Bob and I got to talking about the tobacco companies and smoking and Peter Jennings.

I am 4 years, and almost 4 months past my surgery. Every day is a great day. I know how absolutely lucky I am. And I thought yesterday, I just may live through this. My oncologist last month agreed with me. Said I would probably outlive them all :wink:

So since I am actually starting to look ahead again in life, I said to Hubby that I think I want to fight the tobacco companies. Why has our government allowed this "evil" as Dr Tim Johnson (GMA)called it, to continue to be sold in this country.

Can anyone give me one good reason for cigarettes?

I truly believe that removing cigarettes would remove a lot. I have been to the American Lung Association and signed their petitions, but am looking for other sources as well

And Katie, maybe a silly question:

Can I sign LCSC to my name when I sign these things?

gail

This was a very easy letter to send:

http://lungaction.org/campaign/fdaregul ... cco/foward

[/i]Please note: To all my friends here who never smoked:

I realize this does nothing to address your concerns.

I just feel I was duped 30 years ago (yikes! old!) by the tobacco industry. I was lead to believe that if I quit, after 10 years, it would be like I never smoked at all.

I quit prior to getting pregnant, and never returned. 17 years later, the surgeon said "Well, you didsmoke.

I am also outraged, as are many people here, that our government continues to condone tobacco use. It is my personal belief that social pressure will turn the tide more effectively than criminalization, but whatever strategy one espouses, we must get active.

Here are a few places to get started:

http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/ (Check out their tobacco ad gallery.)

http://tobaccofreenurses.org/ Aimed at helping nurses quit, but has good information on quitting smoking.

American Heart Association's advocacy site. They work on other issues, but tobacco advocacy is part of their work. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter. ... ifier=2945

http://www.ash.org/

More food for thought.

The chemicals that tobacco companies put into tobacco, as to make it more addicting, were proven to be carcinogenic. Why does the government continue to allow them to use these chemicals?

Tobacco settlements are not used to help victims of the tobacco companies cover up on the effects of smoking. The money is generally in the general funds building roads etc.

Have you ever thought about how much money the state and federal government collect on tobacco taxes, or "sin taxes". How do you think they spend this money? I'll give you a clue, it is not on tobacco smokers or health care.

Donna G

my two cents: I agree, it has to be a grassroots effort to get rid of cigarettes. public pressure is the only thing that has brought about ANY change in that area. as with other drugs, even those that are illegal, our gov't makes too much $$$ off of the tobacco industry to put it out of business. just my thoughts.

I feel like a moron for STARTING to smoke in 1983. feel like I should have known better, though I was only 12. and yes, I walked into a store and bought my first pack. (for a $1.35 - they're HOW MUCH!? now?) and yes, I continued to buy my own cigarettes. I was only ever asked for ID when the laws changed, when I was well past 18.

my mother quit 27 years ago. I quit 6 years ago. I have to believe that I did myself a favor, even if it's no 'sure thing' that I won't get LC in the future. I WISH PEOPLE WOULD STOP ACTING LIKE MY MOM DID THIS TO HERSELF. (a) she didn't and (B) what the heck does it matter to her how she got LC? no one deserves this. period.

sorry, I guess I needed to have the smoking rant. thanks for being a safe place for me to do it!

xoxo

amie

Not sure what you are referring to, Di.

I have been in therapy since the lung cancer dx and know that this wasn't my fault.

My main issue here is:

Why are we, as a country, allowing a substance PROVEN to be carcinogenic to be sold over the counter? What would happen to lung cancer if all cigarettes were to disappear forever?

Yes, we absolutely need more funding for LC. We need awareness. We need voices.

I by no means wish to insult anyone at anytime.

gail

Why are we, as a country, allowing a substance PROVEN to be carcinogenic to be sold over the counter? What would happen to lung cancer if all cigarettes were to disappear forever?

I'd still be here, Gail. So would Rich (dadstimeon), Heather (Hebbie), Teri (TAnn), Lucie (Don Wood).... Quite a few of us would still be here.

Gail,

There are many here who agree with you 100% and you have every right to speak your mind, just as others do. I guess this isn't a perfect world and that evil does, in fact, exist. This topic has been discussed many times and it sticks in a few people's throats. But, you still have every right to feel as you do. And Bunny, I agree with you, and Theresa and Donna.

This past week has been very hard, I think, for many members on the board - people passing away, upcoming tests, etc. Let's try to be nice to each other this week, ok? After all, this disease has hit us all and that's enough to deal with.

Joanie

I'm sure there are a million sides to this debate, it's so volatile and we're all so invested. Snowflake is right, LC is not all about smoking. The fact that it is often perceived as being 'about smoking', though, makes me so mad. :twisted:

ESPECIALLY because the focus on 'why' people get lung cancer detracts from inquiries (read: money and resources) into 'how' people get it, how NOT to get it, how to treat it, etc. Because some people who have LC also smoked and are looked down upon for it, everyone with LC loses out (I think). I'm so glad you made the point, Snowflake. it's so easy for me to forget.

Di, I'm sorry you feel like you can't express yourself here. obviously, there's a history there I don't know but I can tell you that part of the way I "get all the information" is by listening to different viewpoints. some of my best friends are republicans. :lol:

Joanie is right, too - kindness must prevail.

xoxo

amie

I don't want anyone upset. That is the last thing I wanted to do.

I am at a good place in my life right now, thank you God, and feel strongly in my heart that this is a direction I want to go. Not the only direction--just a direction--and I was looking for info. Hence the posting under activism.

Anyone who wants to speak more please email or PM me. I don't want to cause anguish. Theresa gave me ideas, which is all I was looking for.

gail

Amie: "Di, I'm sorry you feel like you can't express yourself here. obviously, there's a history there I don't know but I can tell you that part of the way I "get all the information" is by listening to different viewpoints. some of my best friends are republicans."

Yep. Been there, done that! (Not that it matters, but I'm not a republican!)

Di

I just joined this lc support community and am extremely excited to know that I am not alone in my outrage against the tobacco companies and our elected representatives for continuing to pander to them. Let's face it. Contributions from tobacco to politicians has to be huge. Hard to counter that with the logic of "doing the right thing", but it's time we start pressing our representatives to take away the tobacco companies' right to kill.

I lost both parents to lung cancer. Both started smoking when they were children. That's how it is. Adults don't typically start smoking. Children do. Tobacco companies continue to market their product to children in the hopes that they will become addicted, which they do. This is unacceptable. The lack of empathy for those afflicted is unacceptable. For those who smoked, it is not their fault for getting sick. They simply used a product, legally, exactly as it was designed to be used. The fault lies squarely with a system that allows this. It is unacceptable to me.

This doesn't even address those of us who have never smoked but who are likely at risk. My health is jeopordized by exposure to second-hand smoke, which tobacco companies refuse to acknowledge as an issue. Again....unacceptable to me.

Excuse my rantings, but it feels good to vent at last. It's been almost a year since I lost my mom. For the first time I am beginning to feel like I can take some control. I will start by composing a letter which I plan to send to my elected representatives. I'll also send to televisions stations and anyone else I can think of.

I want to see the end of tobacco sales. I also want to see money spent developing and promoting early detection for lc. Ridiculous that this has not happened. I want us to do for lung cancer what women did for breast cancer.

Thanks for listening.

This is my first pass at a letter I will send out to my elected officials. I am off for the next few days but will finalize and start e-mailing it next week. Any feedback is appreciated. I'm new at this but I am so ready to take this on.

Thanks for your time.

Dear _________________

I lost both of my parents to lung cancer. My father died when he was 63. He died a smoker. My mother died six months after being diagnosed. She had not smoked in over 20 years.

Both of my parents began smoking when they were children. That’s how it is. Few adults start smoking. Children start smoking, become addicted and then become adults who smoke. Tobacco companies are providing children with a product that they are likely to become addicted to, and that is likely to kill them as adults.

It is time that we hold tobacco companies accountable for the disease and death that their products cause. For too long we have been silent about it as though we are ashamed. Ashamed that we bought what tobacco companies are selling. Even for those who decide, once they are adults, that they must quit, the damage is often done. It is time that we issue a cease and desist order to the tobacco companies. And it is time that we demand adequate funding for early detection and better treatment for the disease.

It is unacceptable to me that I lost both of my parents so early. Unacceptable that I lost my opera partner, my shopping buddy and the person that I called whenever I needed someone to talk to. It is unacceptable to me that I lost my parents solely because we refuse to make the tough decision and end the production and sale of tobacco products. That is all that it would take to eliminate tens of thousands of deaths each year.

Some will argue that this approach would result in the loss of many jobs in the tobacco industry. I would submit that our legislators have had little qualms with the loss of jobs in the manufacturing sector with the approval of NAFTA, CAFTA and similar “free trade” agreements. So our economy would adjust to this as well.

I would like to request that you promote and support legislation that will increase funding and research for early detection of lung cancer. As the single biggest cause of cancer deaths in our country this disease should receive a proportionate share of funding, education and promotion. And while not all lung cancer is tobacco-related, the majority of the cases are. Therefore I would like to request that you promote legislation that works towards ending the production and sale of tobacco products.

Thank you for your attention to this matter,

My name

a grieving daughter and a member of the Lung Cancer Support Community

HI Bettygirl.

First off, welcome here. I am so sorry for the loss of both your parents. But I am glad that you do not want to sit back and want to make a difference.

Your letter is very good. Maybe you can add some stastics in there as 85% of people diagnoised with LC will not survive. Or 400,000 people die a year from smoking-related illnesses.

If you want to get a petition together I am sure you will get many people to sign it. I would sign it.

There is strength in numbers.

Maybe you could get together with Gail as she is ready to fight also.

Good luck

Maryanne

I'm just back in town and am pleased that this letter suits some of you. By all means, please feel free to use as much/little of it as you want. My objective is to spread the word in any way possible. It certainly cannot hurt. I will start by sending to my elected representatives, at all levels, up to and including the President. I am also working on a letter that I will send to media types such as Oprah, Ellen, etc, to see if we can't get them to talk about this on their shows. The time is right for this, I think. Thanks for your support.

Gail,

I think what you are trying to do is great!

I know I am a never-smoker, and I don't want to tread on any smoker's toes, but I do understand your point -- why are known carcinogens still allowed to be purchased over the counter? I also understand that this about more than that -- it's about the right for ALL (including children) to breath clean air.

Everyone finds their own "niche" -- a cause that feels right in their hearts to pursue. It appears that you have found yours! (Mine is increasing funding for LC research). Although your agenda may not be met with agreement from everyone, I applaud you for taking a stand and taking action!

this sounds like a great effort but i am affraid it could only be a drop in the bucket

we still have states that allow smoking in public places ( Pennsylvania is one of them and unfortunatly i live and runn my business here)so to think they would outlaw it is obsurd

i think more effort to get the tobaco money spent on prevention and research would be a better cause

just my 2 cents....................