Taking care of the "caregivers"

Since I've just been blessed with such a revelation, I thought I'd share. :)

Last week I took time off and went to the mountains with a friend for a week of backpacking. We go every year, but this year I couldn't get motivated for the trip and almost cancelled it. Looking back I can see that I was suffering from insomnia, and the daily stress of being a caregiver (for someone who has taken care of me all my life) was wearing me down. My husband encouraged me to go, and wouldn't let me back out of the trip.

Don't tell him, but he was right. :wink: It's not as if I forgot all my worries, but I was removed from them for awhile. I guess I don't have any more control over Mom's health here than I did in the mountains, out of communication, but I was able to let go. I also had to trust that if anything did come up, others would take care of it. And they did!

Mom goes back in tomorrow to find out more about her vocal cords, and I'll be with her, but for today I will go over and show her all of my pictures from the trip, and tell her my tall tales. Turns out, she's glad I went too.

So take care of yourselves as well!

:) Kelly

Yep....when you guys burn out we all suffer. And I bet your Mom is going to be thrilled with the stories you have to tell her and the photos you have to show her, not to mention the happiness in knowing that her illness (and therefore she) has not deprived you of something you love to do.

I would just like to add an "Amen" to what Kelly said. I was in a similar situation just yesterday. My family had planned a family picnic at a local waterpark and I did not want to leave Bill for the day to join the fun. His daughter showed up to hang with her Dad for the day and I was "gently" encouraged to go...I did. It was a wonderful day with my kids, sisters, brothers, nieces and nephews and I am so glad I went. And guess what...Bill was fine without me for the day. Who would have thought? :wink:

Kelly and Beth.....I am so glad to hear that each of you had some quality time to be happy and remember what the good part of living is all about. I know that being away from your loved ones and doing things that you enjoy can make you feel guilty. But...remember that your loved ones don't really want to feel as if they are changing your entire life. It actually will make them feel better just knowing that you got some rest and relaxation!!!

When Lucie and I went through volunteer lay chaplain training in 1998, one whole session was on "Taking Care of the Caregiver". We were told that we must first take care of ourselves, if we are going to do well in taking care of others. It is so true. They provided the example of the heart, which pumps blood to itself before it pumps to the rest of the body. I liked that image, and it makes a lot of sense. Don

Good for you! Sounds like a fantastic way to spend some time. You will be 10 times more able to help your mom now that you've recharged. It's much nicer for her to be around a happier, more relaxed person than to watch someone she loves grow weary and burned out. Your tales and pictures will let her escape and visit the mountains, too!

Leslie