Injection #7

KatieB

Snowflakes are one of nature’s most fragile things,

but just look what they can do when they stick

together.Vista M. Kelly

Who was your mentor (who you looked up to) when you first joined the Lung Cancer Support Community and why?

LOL - I'm sorry, didn't pick the name on being fragile, picked it on being UNIQUE! :wink:

I don't think I'd say I had mentors, I just dove in, no net, no water wings.

Fay A. rapidly became someone I could identify with, we actually have a lot in common. I visualized her as a NRA poster slogan "They can have my gun when they pry it out of my cold, dead hand" I admire her courage under fire and direct approach to problems.

Love ya, Fay!

When I first joined, it was actually with the "other" group, prior to the formation of this site. Like Becky, I pretty much just jumped right in and was grateful to everyone that helped me. Dr. Sam had been diagnosed with sclc about the same time as Dennis and his help, information and support was worth a million. In addition to Dr. Sam, there were so many people that helped me along the journey and I thank God each day for the help I recieved from this site!

Dr. Sam...

He answered one of my first middle of the night horrified posts when I was just diagnosed. And he never stopped. The first day I went for chemo, he sent me a private message saying "when you feel a tickle in your palm, that's just me holding your hand"

God I miss him....

SandyS

Katieb: because you knew exactly how I felt every step of the way and for always being there for me.

ConnieB: for unselfishly giving me hope

Don Wood: for giving me some well taken fatherly advice..

Sorry Katie I couldnt come up with just one, and there are still many however these were the first friends I found here in the very beginning of my dads couragous fight...

There were so many (and still are so many) people who have touched me.... Berissa and KatieB I felt a special connection with because of our great love for our Daddies.... Ginny came to my Dad's rescue with some needed Iressa (he adopted her as his guardian angel)...

I have received numberous out pouring of support from so many here.

But the 1st person who reached out to me...

That would be Cindi as she was the first person to PM me with her funny wit. :D She made me laugh and I needed that.

She also got me drunk at her bar.. :roll::wink:

Maryanne

Of course I look up to so many on this site. I feel honored to follow in the footsteps of such courageous souls.

BUT two members are the reason that I continue to be here today. Well, four counting Katie and Rick, of course, for having this website to begin with.

DonnaG answered a PM from a frightened, naive woman not even knowing how to post one thing. I think I wrote that first post at 4 or 5AM EST. Donna is in MN and must have answered immediately upon rising that morning to say she was HERE and so was another member, mhutch...aka MaryAnn (NOT to be confused with Maryanne). Mhutch (MaryAnn) provided me with encouragement and told me there WERE doctors who knew someting about what I had. She directed me to NIH where I DID eventually have surgery.

So those two 'angels' are the reason for my still being here. No matter when my life may be over, to date, I have enjoyed almost 2 entire seasons beyond what I originally expected.

Thank you goes to them both, for this 'gift' of life.

Kasey

This one, honest to God, brings a tear to my eye. I'm not going to post specific names because I might inadvertnetly omit someone. Each and every one of you is to special and beloved. There are many who have gone on that I miss terribly, but new names and faces are wonders of this site, too. I'm forever grateful to Rick and Katie for their love and devotion to all of us.

Better start with Katie and Rick or there'd be no further names. Ada, dear Ada, was the first one to respond to my post. It seems like so long ago that Ada passed. I also appreciate help that Fay A. has given to me and look forward to her posts. They are always insightful and show a woman of great strength, wisdom and courage. Finally, I connected with someone named Donna through this website. Her husband had sclc. She seldom posted here but we developed a very mutually supportive relationship through our private emails. Her husband passed last spring.

You've asked a very tough question Katie. I read for so long before I ever posted and gained such valuable information, and attachments to people here. The first post I made was to the wonderful Oncodoc. I really miss his expertise, compassion, and his easy to understand information. Of course, I am thrilled we have the other experts that followed in his footsteps!

The other beautiful soul that I PMd was Cindy RN. Jim's diagnosis was very similar to Cindy's. Following her story gave us great hope and good information to take to Jim's doctor. She was the angel on our shoulder although she didn't know it.

Since those early days, there have been so many others.

Lynne

This site has been a blessing to me in so many ways. I thank you so much Katie and Rick. The first person I felt I connected with was Peggy. She and I did a lot of Pm ing and she PM'd me first and made me feel special. She saw me through everything I have been through and I hope I can see her through her losing Don now. I will always be there for her.

There are so many others I have gained knowledge, friendshipos and strength from that I too would not want to start mentioning for fear of leaving someone out. I love you all and you are all in my prayers.

God Bless you all and thank you,

Jane

This is difficult because so many people were so kind to me. I already knew Fay and had quite a bond with her. Ry, David A, and Becky seemed to pop up in many many of my posts and in the chat rooms with me. Mo Sugar had a fantastic attitude.

I have to say everyone here was very nice.

Sometimes in life, you find a special friend;

Someone who changes your life

just by being part of it.

Someone who makes you laugh

until you can't stop;

Someone who makes you believe

that there really is good in the world.

Someone who convinces you

that there really is an unlocked door

just waiting for you to open it.

unknown

I am fortunate to have found some very special friends here.

Rochelle

When I first joined the site, I was drawn to Connie B -- I loved her "spunkiness"! She actually spoke to me on the phone one afternoon and was instrumental in my decision to move forward with post-surgical chemo and radiation. I still remember asking her if she knew people who had chemo/radiation after surgery. Her response was "Yes....all the people I know that are doing well!" :lol:

I also connected with Dave Grant -- I found him so inspiring and his can-do attitude gave me a lot of hope in my early days.

Of course, I quickly bonded with Snowflake and Becky G. -- all of us diagnosed at the same age, with the same stage, at the same time!