Injection #9

KatieB

I wasn’t afraid to fail.

Something good always comes out of failure.

Anne Baxter

In short, what is one thing you can tell us about what you've learned on this journey? ...

Share it with us in hopes that it will help someone just starting out on this journey.

I have learned that this journey has a definite end. Definite in that it WILL end, but not always in the way we may have imagined. The journey ends for everyone some day, what is life if not the journey from birth to death? Some people have a longer trip and somehow, it seems odd that in today's world where people are always looking for a way to do things faster, everyone wants to have Death come later...like selectively winding a watch...

I have learned not to buy into statistics, that cancer is a personal disease. Numbers are impersonal and have no place within the fight. I was told I had a 40% chance of making it two years without recurrence - and I made it. I think my odds were about 1 in 10,000 to even have lung cancer - and here I am. There always HAS to be a ONE, why not you?

The lesson? Don't get out of your seat until the ride is over. Don't sell yourself short, and prove your doctors wrong. Sometimes, they like to be wrong...

I have learned that there IS LIFE after Lung Cancer.

I have learned that Lung Cancer CAN be BEAT!

I have learned that I am HOPE for those that are traveling the journey of being a LUNG CANCER SURVIVOR.

I have learned that being POSITIVE on this journey is 9/10ths of the battle.

I have learned that Support Groups are a GREAT tool in helping me get through the journey of Lung Cancer.

I have learned that my family is the most important thing in my life! :D

I have learned that each of us should really live each day as if it were our last. We should do things that we enjoy and never take life for granted. We should never assume that there will be a tommorrow to tell someone how much we love them and let them know how important they are to us. I learned (too late) to not be overly protective with our loved ones that are fighting cancer. If there is something they want to do, by all means make every attempt to arrange that and join them in doing it.

This is what I have learned:

That after the initial diagnosis and the stark terror that accompanies it, I am still ME and I still have to pay the phone bill..

That my sense of humour is here for good and basically will survive anything...

That I am stronger physically than I ever thought possible...

That sometimes doctors can be as confused as I am so I had better research things myself to help them out...

That you CAN have lung cancer and LIVE afterwards... (I didn't pay the IRS the first 2 years because I was so sure that I was going to die :shock: . I finally had to call and make arrangements, now I'm on the payment plan!!!)

That eventually you learn to stop looking over your shoulder. The first year was filled with surprise (as in wow, I made it a year), the second year gratitude (as in wow, I am so GRATEFUL that I am still here) and this 3rd year now is filled with hope (as in wow, I really don't even dare to say it out loud but things might actually be okay!)

The main thing I have learned is that I CAN be a good primary caregiver. This was in some doubt at the beginning of the journey considering my past track record (typically male). Out of that, I learned that adversity has made me a better human and given me many more opportunities to serve. Don

I have learned to make positives out of negatives.(sometimes you have to really look for the good points in everyone & everything- but they are there somewhere).

I have also learned to be thankful each morning when I awake,and make the very most of and enjoy each day.

I am immortal (until God decides I have served his purpose).

I have learned that I spent WAY too much time concerned with inconsequential matters! WAY too much time.

I have learned to appreciate what gifts I have been given.

I have learned that there are compassionate people who have supported me....and I do not even "know" them in the true sense of the word.

I have learned to be less full of myself and let go of the strong demeanor and let my friends see that I do have a vulnerable side.

I have learned to talk less and listen more.

I have learned to take less and give more.

My list of things "learned" during this journey could go on and on. I am thankful this journey has afforded me these opportunities.

I pray my journey may continue for MANY years...and that I NEVER forget these lessons learned.

Kasey

Oh dear, Katie!!!!! Sorry you asked for only one! Hope I can be forgiven. And I just said I learned to TALK LESS. Guess no one will believe THAT now.

I have learned that it is not the end of the world and there is hope when you are diagnoised with LC.

That LC is not a death sentence.

That it is not just a smokers cancer, that people who never smoke can get LC. I didn't know that before.

That I have a lot of strength and compassion in being a caregiver when someone is ill. I step right up to help. I didn't think I could do that before.

To appreciate my husband more and not take him for granted. And I thank G-d everyday that he is with me.

The never-ending love of my family who rallies around us when times are tough and looking dismal. Priceless.

I love the following sayings and it is so true.

"Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take...but by the moments that takes our breath away"

"Faith doen't get you around trouble, it gets you through it"

" I believe friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly"

That last one, is for all people here. :wink:

Thank You,

Maryanne

My journey is still in its infantile stage but what I have learned so far I will remember often to carry me through;

That no matter what stage cancer is found, no matter what course of treatment, no matter how rich or poor, no matter what the health status was before the cancer, no matter what, ALL have an equal chance of making it!

I have learned that it could always be worse. That I am very lucky and blessed.

To flip the coin over, take a negative and make it into a positive. That it takes more effort to be negative then to be positive. Life is what one makes of it.

To look at life, people and situations differently. Be more understanding, objective and open minded.

That money and material things are minor, what really matters the most are family. friend(s) and love.

To appreciate the little things in life. It's the little things that people do/say that mean the most. It's what they say and how they say it, It's what they do and how they do it. That's what really matters to me.

I've learned that God is in control, and I am not, and that I have to trust Him.

That there IS life after cancer.

That family is most important, material things are nothing.

That God heals in one of three ways:

1. instantaneously

2. through doctors and medicine

3. the Ultimate Healing, by bringing us Home, giving us our new heavenly bodies, no more pain, no more suffering, no more tears.