Dana Reeve (Chris Reeve's wife) diagnosed w/ lung cancer

kitkathi

I saw it at work today. I just hate that anyone has to go through this. But, on the up side(if there can be one), maybe her having this beast will bring it into the "lime light" so to speak. Peter Jennings, I think, was very private about his cancer, but maybe she will be the one to bring this to the front of the line and wake people up out there on how this disease attacks so many more people than they ever knew. Look at what she and her husband did for spinal injury research.

Just a thought.

I've been following, in a desultory sort of way, the reports on the various tv news media on Dana Reeves and the sad fact is that it takes a confluence of this sort, Peter Jennings + Dana Reeves to get any sort of comprehensive coverage of the disease. I finally heard the words "lack of funding" and the suggestion that Dana Reeves was just the person to take on that particular challenge. Seems like a lot to ask of someone who is just taking on THIS challenge - beating the dam_ thing - but perhaps it is true. In our celebrity-driven culture, celebrity seems to be the only key that unlocks the doors to power and funding, and perhaps Dana Reeves will be the person to finally put a face on lung cancer and give it the attention it sorely needs.

I'd like to some some coverage given to the horror stories so many of you on the board have shared about doctors, even oncologists, who have just thrown up their hands in horror at the diagnosis and dismissed their hapless patients as lost causes. I am so grateful that my husband's doctors have not been of that ilk, but I would love to see the public in general become more aware of the stumbling blocks that so often seem stacked up in the path of lung cancer patients, quite unnecessarily. A little hope, a little encouragement, inventive treatment and lots more money -- that's what we need....

Ellen (whose husband goes for another CT scan tomorrow)

I agree with you all. I hope that I didn't come off as being glad or something that she has this disease, I would never wish this on anyone! I hope I didn't hurt any feelings or make anyone mad with what I said, I really didn't mean it that way. If I had one wish it would be to end ALL cancers, and that no one would ever be able to have ANY type ever again.

Kim, I'm sure no one was offended by what you said -- I said very much the same thing in my post. And I'm sure we're all, somewhat guiltily, having the same feelings -- at last someone who may be able to bring LC to everyone's attention. That thought doesn'tlessen, in the least, our sorrow that she has it or that anyone has it, for that matter -- sorrow AND anger!

I know that several news programmes were doing spots on lung cancer after this but haven't had a chance to watch any of them. It would be nice if someone could give us a run down on what he/she's seen.

Ellen