LC visibility in the media - Time to get something done?

z

Considering the LC visibility in the media, with Jenkins and now Ms. Reeve, is this a good time to get something accomplished an to put this issues on the priority list?

Z

I agree... I admit to having the selfish thought of, "More awareness?" with Peter Jennings and then again this morning with Dana Reeves (whom I SO admire). (BTW--I hate that thought... These people need my prayers and deserve concern not expectation.) My next thought was--why is it up to these high profile media people...? We/I need to make some noise!

Suggestions include writing your congress person, our government, your local media and ABC about

*the need to explore the lung cancer epidemic further,

*the need to reiterate that non smokers are at risk,

*to emphasize that even if you do quit smoking that you are STILL at risk,

*and although we need smoking prevention programs,

*what we really need is funding for the disease, early detection screening, more research, and more treatment options.

Good luck to us all.

Yed, I agree... and it is us who are to make the noise. Unfortunately, these events help getting heard louder:)

Z

Yesterday I sent a draft to Oprah and Dr Phil. Apparently he has done shows on cigarette addictions and has some program set up. Oprah had Dana Reeves on after her husband died.

After the dana Reeves news, I just drafted a new email to both of them.

BEFORE ANYBODY READS IT, PLEASE REMEMBER IT IS JUST MY VERY OWN THOUGHTS. I AM APOLOGIZING RIGHT NOW IF I OFFEND ANYONE. TODAY'S EMAIL WAS WRITTEN QUICKLY AND FROM THE HEART. I JUST WANT SOMEONE TO HEAR US.

Here it is:

Sunday, August 7, 2005, Peter Jennings died from LUNG CANCER. Today, August 9, 2005, Dana Reeve announced to the world that she has been diagnosed with LUNG CANCER. One had a smoking history, one did not. One was male, one was female. LUNG CANCER does not discriminate. LUNG CANCER is not a “smoker’s disease”, for no one is safe from this most common form of diagnosed cancer .

Yet look at the funding for LUNG CANCER, and remember: Lung cancer kills 85% of newly diagnosed patients within 5 years.

· Federal government spending on cancer research in 2004:

$13,953 per breast cancer death

$10,318 per prostate cancer death

$4,618 per colorectal cancer death

$1,723 per lung cancer death

Our online LUNG CANCER support group, the Lung Cancer Support Community can be found at www.lchelp.org. We have 2,187 members worldwide, both patients and caregivers. We are young and old, male and female, smokers and former smokers. We have many on our site with lung cancer who have never smoked, and still face this dreaded disease on a daily basis.

Please consider a show on lung cancer. People need to know this disease.

Do it for Peter, for Dana, and for all of us.

Gail Clark

member of Lung Cancer Support Community

www.lchelp.org

I just decided to send this to ABC as well.

gail

Gail,

I think it is very well written. I think you should send it more than once, Really get it out there and in their face to keep reminding them, it doesn't just go away. Just a suggestion. Please keep us posted...

Blessings, prayers and hugs,

Praying for a CURE,

Karen

YES! YES! AND YES!

and Val, I had the same thoughts - then I realized, it HONORS Jennings and Reeve and all of us if we can take something good, and helpful out their struggles. so I saw we go for it!

I've already written to Oprah and ABC.

xoxo

amie