Ridiculously stupid article

Lisa O

We have to write to that lately. What nerve. And it is a pretty visible article. I have my "home page" set to MSN which I think a lot of comptuers also do. It is one of the top links on that page today!!

I am giong to send her a message now

I agree that this was a terrible article. I had to laugh at the symptoms they listed. I'm sure some of these apply to some people but my husband was in an advanced stage at diagnosis and exhibited NONE of these symptoms. Where do these people get off using personal opinion rather than cold hard facts regarding the smoking issue???

Help me out here, guys. Isn't the author of this article, Marilyn Lewis, one of those who writes under the auspices of the group who raised such a fuss over the NY Times ad featuring Karen Parles? I hate it that I can't pull all the information from my brain like I once could. I can't even remember the name of the group that published the rebuttal article to the ad. I remember that many from this group wrote to them in response.

Wasn't it something ike "ScienceNews"?

They had an area where you could figure your chance of developing lung cancer. I put to info from when I was diagnosed. It figured if I quit smoking then I had a < 1% chance of developing lung cancer. If I continued smoking I had a 2% chance of developing lung cancer.

Well with all that said, for me it was 100% chance for I had lung cancer already!

So much for the theory and formula. Donna G

This is what I wrote in the feedback section:

I am totally disgusted by your portrayal of Lung Cancer as a 100% preventable disease. It was inaccurate and completely irresponsible. Within the article itself lies a contradiction that 15% of lung cancers occur in never smokers! Further the article implies that if one were to quit today that the risk of lung cancer would vanish! That is simply WRONG! Perhaps the author should do some research. A good start would be the far better article, which is backed by actual research. It was found on MSNBC this morning.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8893051/

This so called "article" was awful. Please don't take this lightly. This kind of rubbish only serves to inhibit research and funding so terribly needed for what you admit is the number one cancer killer. Please don't contribute to the tragedy. There are many people suffering from lung cancer and this ridiculous portrayal of the "stupid smoker" doesn't help anyone. Lung cancer is a cruel disease and your article made a mockery of the whole horrible truth that has been unfolding in the media this week.

Lisa Roffman

So Im not the only one who wanted to spit fire after I read this. I can't believe someone greenlighted that. I was trying to find how to leave feedback or write to the obviously uneducated (as far as lc goes) author. Does anyone know how to write back?

Now all these people are all of a sudden are talking about lung cancer but they are doing it the wrong way. Just contributing to the stigma over and over... When will it end.

My Dad quite smoking 29 years ago and still got lung cancer. We had no idea he was still at risk for developing lung cancer. We were completely shocked when he was dx. with NSCL Stage IV in Oct. of 2004. Even people who quite smoking many years ago need to be screened. This article is terrible.