Boston/ Mass. who want to start a walk

Karma1976

Boy, being Boston born and raised, would I like to be in your walk! Wish you had had one in July when I was back east for my nieces wedding. Keep me posted on your plans, perhaps I can get one of my relatives to walk.

Would you walk on the Boston Commons, or the Boston Gardens? or along the Charles river ?

November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month, but Breast cancer has something every month, and considering more women die of lung cancer why can't we have something every month?

Here in Minnesota I am on a committee planning a Cancer Awareness event in October at the Burnsville Mall October 6th. I figure it will be an awareness the November is coming up next.

I have asked our lung cancer group to come and man a table for lung cancer. We hope that will put us in the public eye.

Wishing you luck. If we all do what we can, we will be a voice that is heard!

Donna G

Ok do we have a particular date that might work?? My sister used to live in watertown. I was her offically pet sitter so I spent a lot of time there. The boston commons would be great! even the charles. I rememebr trying to find out if there is a permit needed or what? Also can we pick mutiple organizations to donate $$ to?? How do we get a tax write off for people who will want it. I have so many questions on what will be needed to get it done.

Whatever organization you donate your funds to, you can have participants write their checks/donations directly to that organization if they need a receipt or record of donation. Non profits have a tax id number that is given to donors who request it.

Also, per IRS guidelines, you don't have to have a receipt for a write-off less than $250.00

There is a link on the links/docs icon to the left of this website. There is a website there for people who want to start a lung cancer walk.

Roseanne and her daughter did a great walk in Michigan and they do it in September when the weather is still nice. October would be a nice month to do it also. Hebbie did a walk in New Jersey but I can't remember what month it was. You can PM them for more info...good luck!

October sounds like a good time, not too cold yet and certainly no need to watch for heat stroke!

What kind of multiple organizations are you thinking of?

It's the middle of August now, how long does it take to get one of these things off the ground.....anybody know?

This sounds like it could be fun

Geri

I can help some --- I have done a relatively small (100-200 people) walk for the last 2 years in the Chicago area. PErsonally, I like doing them in Nov because there is so little going on for l.c. awareness month. On Nov. 5th - there will be 3 walks nationwide and it would be GREAT to add yours in Boston. I organized the one the 1st year in less time than you have know (I started in Sept I think). Anyway, feel free to PM me.

Renee

I too would love to give you some insight. Last year, (with lots of help from Renee who posted above) I planned the first walk in the NJ area and we had about 350 people attend and raised $32,000 for LUNGevity Foundation, to go directly to lung cancer research. We are in the midst of planning the 2nd walk, to take place this November 5th (during Lung Cancer Awareness Month). Yes, November can be a little cold, but we lucked out and had absolutely beautiful sunny weather that day -- and it seemed so much more meaningful to do it during LCAM.

If you go to www.lungcancerwalk.org it list all the LC walks that are taking place around the country -- with contact information for each -- that might be a good place for you to start!

Feel free to PM me and I will help in any way that I can!

• 2 weeks later...

My mom Rosanne and I started a non-profit organization in MI specifically to raise awareness of lung cancer and to provide financial help to families that are facing lung cancer. We have put on a Walk & Rally and a golf outing. We are in the process of organizing our 2nd walk, which is being held on 9/18. You can go to www.gianniscause.com for more info on our foundation. I would be happy to provide you with any information you need to start up you own walk.

Thanks!

Gianna Reichenbach

giannareichenbach@yahoo.com

I started really focusing on mine last August and we ended up raising $32,000 by November 6th. You can absolutely do it!

PM me with your e-mail and I will send you a link that Renee (who posted above) gave me when I started. She called it her "walk primer". It gives a step by step on how to get started! GO FOR IT! :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just lost my dad a month ago and my family and I would LOVE to help with this walk. I live in Boston and my mom and sister live in the 'burbs. There are also a lot of charity walks in South Boston along the water. I'm not sure what we'd need to do to get this off the ground, but count me in. If you want to reach me, contact me at staceyabee@aol.com