Good News August...not all good.

Addie

Things are what they are. I thought about not posting...but I posted a question in Ask The Experts, so it's just a matter of time till someone see that.

I have brain mets. Several. In the cerebellum and on both sides of my brain. Don't have an actual count nor do I know how large they are. All the doc saw was the preliminary report. My onc is away...so it was his newest partner that gave me the word and I could tell he was very uncomfortable having to pass on this news.

I tried to comfort HIM by saying I do better knowing...than not knowing. :roll:

It's 11: in the morning and when I told my hubby, he poured us both a bloody mary. Mine has hardly any alcohol in it...but either way, what's the diff? Seemed like the best thing to do at the moment.

I'm hoping to get a call back from my radiation oncologist. Even my PCP is out of town for the weekend and I'd like to talk to someone who can give me a little info on options.

Any of you out there who had PCI and then later had brain mets....what treatment options were you given? I understand that there is an oral chemo that gets up into the brain...and that is one option for me.

Another obstacle to try to get beyond. Wouldn't mind catching a little break or breather between treatments...you know....but like I said, what is...is. Now I just have to hope that my CT on Monday of the chest/abd./pelvis doesn't result in equally bad news.....eh?

Sorry to throw another wrench in what was supposed to be a month of good news....but trust me, this wasn't my idea. :roll:

Addie...I'm sending ((((((((Addie)))))))))) your way. Like your hubby, I think a having a drink was appropriate! I have absolutely no first hand knowledge about PCI and mets but I know there are others here that will be able to help you with info. I just hope you will be able to talk to one of your regular doctors soon. I know that will make you feel much more at ease. In the meantime....thinking of you and sending lots of hugs and prayers!

Addie,

I'm sending you the biggest virtual hug I can come up with!! I'm so terribly sorry that you've have this news. I hope and pray that the mets are limited to the brain and that your doctors will come up with a treatment plan that you are comfortable with.

Don't give up hope - this is a setback that you can recover from. My words are terribly inadequate, but know that I'm here for you.

Kel

I'm sorry to hear this news. I hope your regular doctor will come up with a successful game plan for you. Please hang in there, even though I know you're probably devistated and have every right to be. I'll pray for you, ok? And if you need anything else please let me know. Keep your chin up.

Joanie

Sorry you are having the "Addie"tude tested, yet again! :(

I have no advice to offer...just LOTS of prayers for guidance for your doctors, continued strength for you, and a good outcome on your scan, Monday. I scan Monday, as well. KNOW that I will be thinking of you, and praying HARD!!! :wink:

Take Care!

Stacey

Addie,

I am so sorry to hear this , but I am so glad you decided to post. We need to know how you are and how everyone is in this "family". We have to stick together through the good and the bad. In both case scenarios we help someone else and we get the support we need ourselves. Wish I had information that I could share to help you, but I have no experience with brain mets. Since you have posted here and in ask the experts, I hope you get some good advice and hopefully some comforting information. As for your upcoming scans, know that you have my prayers for good news. Hang in there Addie, we are with you.

Love and Prayers,

Sue

Oh Addie, I know this must be devastating news for you, it surely was for my mom and our family. My mom had whole brain radiation back in January/February that did not really work. She had stereotactic radiosurgery to treat her 4 mets in April and from what her MRIs this month indicate, it worked. 2 of the mets are gone and 2 are getting smaller. She does have 1 new met, but they have already treated that this past Wednesday. It is kind of like and find and destroy type thing. The first time around, she had to wear a "halo" screwed into her head for about 10 hours, but this time, she wore a mask very similar to the one she had during WBR. That was a relief, and huge improvement. She was in and out in an hour, no headaches or anything. She thought she was going to have a seizure when I was at her house yesterday (she can feel her foot and then leg getting numb), so she layed down on the floor, ready. She deep breathed through it and no seizure. Apparently seizures can be a side effect of the treatment, but she also had a seizure caused by the edema. I just want to encourage you you to keep your chin up. There is a treatment that can help, just believe!!

Aye yae yae!!

What is going down, woman? Gimme that glass over here and let's get some more kickass in it! Quit being a lightweight! All talk, no show! And I'll let you pour a tall one for me as well. Dearie. I sure do wish we were side by side hugging the dickens out of each other! Laughing and then crying and then laughing some more..! I mean, what CAN we do?

Honey, just know that I am sending all good stuff your way... including an extra squeeze of lime and some good black pepper!

We're not tits up yet! :P !

Hope you get the best treatment plan and treatment. And for gosh sake...don't worry! ( :) )

love, Cindi o'h

Oh Ms. Addie... I am so bummed for you. And 'Darn it' doesn't come close to encapsulating what I want to express hearing the news...

You are a strong, strong woman. Full of AddieTude. And we are so HERE for you.

I'm sorry for this news. ((((((Addie)))))))

It is what it is and we'll walk what it is with you.

love,

Val

Crud. I've read this several times and have been trying to muster up the strength to post. I really hate to hear this news, but remember that there are undoubtedly several options available to you. And remember that there are several people on the board doing just fine with brain mets. I can only imagine what you must be going through, but know that we are all here for you the best we can be. Let us know when you have more details and a plan.

ADDIE,

Brian is wearing your pin today.

I pinned it on his t~shirt. He has that and a very special 9 year sobriety token to hang on to (Guess he will opt against a bloody Mary............make his and mine a Virgin Mary..............)

He is so so so sick, but he is keeping up his ADDITUDE.

We love you so much.

Don't ever decide not to tell us stuff.

We want to be with you.............good, bad and indifferent.

Pat

You know what they say, when things get tough the tough start drinking. I am just sick about your news...I do remember John posting something about the chemo you asked about so maybe you will get an answer to your question to the Experts. Hang in there Addie!

Addie i wish i could offer info on your new problem but i can't. But with your attitude i can't help but feel you'll come out of this OK. We went in yesterday for result's with our ONC and left with a empty felling not that it was all bad but it was just uncomplete.All scan's were positive new's but for what ever reason the Hospital failed to get the MRI result's back in time for the ONC so were still waiting out that senario......GOOD LUCK >>>and keep FIGHTING>>>>>

I'm so sorry to hear of your bad news. I know it must be terrible to not hear your options for several days. My Dad had two brain mets one in October '04 and one in May '05. Both were sucessfully treated with Cyberknife. I think there are 5 Cyberknife treatment centers in the country.

He had 3 20 minute treatments per met. Only side effects he had were fatigue and lost a little hair in the area effected. Much easier on him than any of the chemos. Let me know if you have any questions.

Denise