Weekend Frustrations!!!

shineladysue

Doesn't it seem that if there's going to be a health crisis, that you don't know what to do about, it's going to happen on the weekend? This is one of those weekends for us. Last Monday , Mike got his prescription for Tarceva and it took all week to get it approved and finally delivered to our door today- (overnighted by FedEx). Now, in the meantime, he has developed this hacky cough. It started yesterday and by eve had grown progressively worse. There's no fever (was 99.2 once, and it produces just a bit of clear phlegm like maybe an allergy, but nothing has changed in the atmosphere, his clothes , hair etc. around here. So far, his breathing isn't any worse. Now, we won't start the Tarceva until Monday and maybe not then until he sees the doctor and we get the ok. We are afraid of him starting it with a possible respiratory infection brewing . Wouldn't you know that his pulmonologist is on vacation until the 22nd also. Would sure be nice if life would just settle down and get easier for a little while. I'm just venting my frustrations and wondering if any of you know what I mean. Just hate the helplessness of the weekends knowing the only help available is the ER and in this area, you are better off at home unless it's a life threatening emergency. There's a long waiting time to be seen and then they are short handed. I want access to my own personal 24 hour doctor.. It's so hard making these tough decisions on your own. . Had better go to him. Take care everyone. My prayers to all of you. There are so many struggling now. Our case seem so insignificant. Well, I hear Mike coughing and coughing . I better go..

:shock::shock::shock::shock::?:?:cry::cry:

Wow bummer plus...

Don't know what to say except hang in there. I hate this hurry up and wait stuff. :roll:

This August month is making all of us a little crazy... and antsy

But at least his Tarveca is there, you have it in your hands. It just a matter of time till he starts it.

Let Mike know I am thinking of him and sending out good vibes for his cough to cease so he could start his treatment. Once he starts his treatment he will be feeling so much better.

Maryanne

Sue,

I think you are doing the absolute thing by keeping that Tarceva in the cupboard until you talk to the doc on Monday. Considering his history, and the warnings that came from the doc, there is no reason to throw another monkey wrench into the mess right now. Sounds like he has some pneumonitis going on. Sounds just like me with my start up flares.

Hang in there. Yes. I know all too well the frustrations of the waiting game. I think many if not all of us know.

love, Cindi o'h

Dear Sue,

Just reading this and its almost Monday morning. Thank God! I hate weekends for the same reason, if you need a DR you will have to go to the ER and wait 5 hours ( no kidding!) By the time you leave you feel like you have been an inpatient as you have been in the hospital so long and then you never leave fully satisfied because you are never seeing YOU'RE DR.

You are both in my prayers Sweetie, you are doing the best you can so take a deep breath and continue on.

God Bless you both,

Jane

Thank you for your support, everyone. Yesterday, I did get the oncall oncologist on the phone. He called in an antibiotic -ZPak for Mike to start taking. He said "better safe than sorry". It's 3:22 am now and Mike is sleep. I will contact his oncologist today and possibly take him in. He was coughing really bad yesterday. :( Will update this a bit later.

Love,

Sue

Sue, I know how long and frustrating weekends can be. It seemed as if we ever had problems with Dennis, it would either be after 5:00 in the afternoon or on weekends. The long waits in the Er were almost unbearable. I would get so uneasy seeing all the people around us coughing and sneezing. I could just imagine what Dennis was going to catch with his immune system so low at times. I started going right up to the window, explaining Dennis was a cancer patient and asking if we could sit somewhere else, as his immunity was very low. They would move us to the back in an area that was much more comfortable and it seemed the wait was shorter. Maybe worth trying????

Mike's cough was a bit better today. After talking with the oncs office, he wants us to hang in there with the antibiotic and see how he is in a couple days. He also says to Start the Tarceva . We will start the Tarceva tomorrow. Sure am nervous about that, but want to get started on some kind of treatment. The antibiotic is already making him feel dragged out, but after today he only has 3 days of it . Asking for prayers to go with the Tarceva.

Love and Prayers ,

Sue