opn't pay attention to statics they are frightening aren't t

MeloScha8

About two years ago I had difficlty breathing and pain in chest. I got it under control. NOw it is back out of control again big time. The people I worked for said that they think it has been this tumor all a long. I am going to see if Ican get a cat scan tomorrow. I am glad you tolf me not to pay attention to the statistics. It sort of took my breath away when i read that 92% of lung cancer patients do not live past two years. In general is this true? I don't know who gave me that advice but i read it and I chose to listen to the advice and ignore that.I did ignore it. Thanks for that advice keep passing that on to new poeple. Besides maybe I will be in the7% that do make it. Have a good evening. Melosy

I guess you didn't take our advice about not paying any attention to the Stats???? Shame on you! :shock: You peaked! :wink: Well, the OTHER SIDE of the stats are this,

they are about 5 to 7 years behind in those findings. It takes years to get stats put together, so when you see them, you want to see when these stats were published and what year. Even the ones from the Amercian Cancer Society are also at least 5 years behind. It has to do with the new drugs that come out and who they try them on, so many things go into putting stats together. And they just don't pull numbers out of a hat over night. They also don't publish the AGE group a lot of these stats are talking about. So please get this crud out of your head. :roll:

You need to get checked over and find out what your problem is. Second guessing is NOT a good way to check things out. I hope you go get checked over and get to the bottom of this problem. Not much else we can do for you until you find out what your dealing with.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Warm Regards,

Connie B

I am glad you tolf me not to pay attention to the statistics. It sort of took my breath away when i read that 92% of lung cancer patients do not live past two years. In general is this true? I don't know who gave me that advice but i read it and I chose to listen to the advice and ignore that.I did ignore it. Thanks for that advice keep passing that on to new poeple. Besides maybe I will be in the7% that do make it. Have a good evening. Melosy

My advice would definitely be to "throw the stats right out the window." Otherwise, you can go absolutely nuts reading all these numbers over and over. Each case is an individual case and each person responds differently to treatment. Please keep us posted on your results!

My mom went into about a 4-week depression over the numbers. She has rebounded now, and is busy living her life the way she wants to. No one knows what the individual future can bring, but I'd sure rather see her enjoying each day. She is so much happier, she's visiting friends, traveling...sitting on her couch in her robe beofre did her no good.

She has a friend who is a LC survivor (over 10 years) who told her to get up every morning, shower, and put make up on (this was during Mom's rad. treatments that were draining her) and greet the day. I really think her positive outlook will help her deal with this with dignity while remembering to have a whole handful of fun.

:) Kelly

Melody,

I'm NOT a doctor, but your problems sounds a lot like anxiety to me. I had my first ever anxiety attack two days after diagnosis - I thought I was having a heart attack! There was a band around my chest that kept getting tighter and tighter and I couldn't breathe. My doctor wrote me out a prescription for Xanax and Ambien (one to shut the monsters up, the other to help me sleep) to take until surgery and then for a month or so after.

Sometimes, breathing problems have nothing to do with breathing and everything to do with an emotional upheaval. Talk to your general practioner/family doctor and take the anxiety test...you may need a "crutch" for a while, and if you do, it's okay.

Good luck,

Becky

Yep. don't pay attention to those old statistics!!! My Dad, who is 81, will have his 5th anniversary since diagnosis tomorrow!!! He has recently had his 3rd recurrence and is on Tarceva which is something they didn't even talk about 5 years ago == one of those targeted therapies. By the way, for most of his 5 years, he has been able to live his life very, very well. Three chemo treatments and radiation for 2nd recurrence and Tarceva this time. You can LIVE with cancer.

Sending prayers and thoughts you way.

gail p-m