Next week is the week!

Hello all,

As some of you may know, next week on the 11th my mom is going to undergo surgery to try and remove this fibrous peel around her right lung. All other signs indicate she is free of cancer otherwise; there are no tumors. She still has fluid buildup around her lung because of the empty space the trapped lung creates. All indications from the surgeon suggest it is a very safe procedure. I believe they call it mini-thoracotomy, or VATS decortication. What she will do is make 3 small incisions in my mom's back, thru which she will try to remove this rind piece by piece.

However, she did also mention that there's only about a 30-40% chance of the lung re-expanding after this, because its been collapsed for so long. My mom is a little scared and I don't blame her, but from everything I've read, and from the surgeon's tone, it appears to be a relatively safe procedure. A little more help certainly doesn't hurt, so I'm just writing to ask everyone to join me in praying that the surgery is completely safe and successful in re-expanding the lung. This way she can have the pleuradesis and we can finally have the peace of mind not having to deal with this fluid buildup anymore. Thank you all.

Marlon,

I'm sending best wishes to you and your Mom. It is amazing to me how vigillant you are in her care, your love and the support you give to her.. you will do anything to help her and protect her she is lucky to have you. :D I will pray that the surgery will be a success and her lung will get back to work for her.

Laurie

Dear Marlon,

I hear you loud and clear...extra prayers are on the calendar for your mom's surgery, reexpansion of her lung, hopefully some peace of mind for you, and a return to feeling better. It is wonderful that she has you!

Dear Marlon,

I hear you loud and clear...extra prayers are on the calendar for your mom's surgery, reexpansion of her lung, hopefully some peace of mind for you, and a return to feeling better. It is wonderful that she has you!

Marlon, I will keep your mom in my prayers for a successful surgery and recouperation. Please let us know how it goes, I know you will-so that was a pointless request, sorry :oops: . I hope you know that you will not be alone in spirit in the coming weeks, we will be with you and here for you when you tell us how well the surgery went :D ! Take care, Deb

Thanks everybody. Keep 'em coming! Although the thoracic surgeon says it is relatively safe, I forgot to mention that I've read that there can be some complications with lung re-expansion, such as prolonged air leakage, or fluid buildup INSIDE the lung. Also, she will be on general anesthesia basically operating on one lung. I wrote the first post when I was leaving from work. Now that I'm home I wanted to elaborate more. Just thought I'd ask specifically for you guys to pray that the surgery to be safe and successful. One thing I know for sure, it's probably expensive!

Keep 'em coming! Thanks!

Marlon