Getting to Know You.........

Ann

I was in a class last night and we were given these questions to answer as a way to know each other better. I thought it might be fun to share a new one each day......

1. If you were to choose a new name for yourself, what would it be?

Oooh, fun one, Ann!!

I'm gonna go with the name I'd picked for my second son...had he been a girl....that NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY else liked. I loved it.

Aubrey!

In fact, Aubrey Mairghread. Mairghread is Gaelic for Margaret...and my mother's name was Margaret. It's pronounced (far as I know) "Mare-gred".

Some mouthful of name, huh? It....uh....probably suits me, with the big mouth....ya think? :roll:

Just a funny name story.

My Mother's name was Alma - pronounced like palma - and my MIL's name was Adelaide.

Before my daughter (Devin) was born, my sisters had a lot of fun with kidding me that, if I had a girl, (this was before ultrasounds), I could make it so that she would inherit all the money from her grandmothers - this totaled about $17.00.

Of course, I would have to name her after them - her name would have to be Almalaide. (How about orange for her middle name.)

I would never change my name, my father chose it.

humm this is a good one Ann!

Well, in my case I would say, I wanted to be ANY NAME but CONNIE! ISH ISH & MORE ISH!! Didn't like that name when I was little and I'm still not real fond of it!

I wanted to be Victoria, or Lydia. My mom's middle name was Lydia and for some odd reason I liked that name. Now days that's a very old fashion name. Victoria was just a pretty name to me. Like someone in a BALL DRESS! :roll:

But, truth be known, I guess I have been called other things!!! :roll::shock::wink::P

Here's a story I want to share with you. My good friend Pat (who is a soon to be 6 yr LC survivor) has a grandson who is 8 yrs old. Well one day, Pat's Uncle Richard came to visit and her Grandson was at her house also. She introduced them and said, "Logan this is my Uncle Dick" And Logan looked with a shocked face and said, REALLY his name is DICK???? :oops::lol: Well, low and behold she said to me, "You know you really don't hear that name very much these days"! :roll:

Love & Hugs,

Con

Like Ginny, my father chose my name also. I am named for the actress, Rochelle Hudson (yeah I know, I've seen her in like one Shirley Temple film--what was he thinking?). Anyway, I always wanted to change my name to Richelle so that people wouldn't pronounce the RO so heavy. So to compensate I gave our Jillian the middle name Richelle.

This is a fun thread!!!

My Mom told me in recent years that she was going to name me either Kelsey or Alexandra. She eventually settled on Kelsey. As a kid, growing up in a French part of Canada (Québec) you can imagine how Kelsey was butchered. I desperately wanted to have a more french language friendly name!!

Kel

OK guys...her goes. I really always have loved the name Sarah and was going to name a little girl that but instead I had three boys so Sarah was never fitting...lol! I don't know exactly what it is about the name that I find so special...but I do.

My grandmothers name was Lily Jeanette. I had also thought of naming a daugher Lily Anjeanette. That would have worked my name in also. I just think Ann is so plain and to the point. Names with more syllables are nice.

When I was a little girl I attended class with a gaggle of little girls...all blonde ponytails, and named Debbie, or Cathy, or Susie. No kidding...I was inundated with little blonde Debbies. And there I was. Black hair, pale skin, and green eyes...WITH EYEGLASSES, and a Christian name that was too formal for the mess I have always been. So I changed it to my middle name, Fay (after my favorite Aunt who just happened to be blonde with a ponytail.) Another good memory!

I wish I had been named my nickname--Tina. My real name is Cellostine. I am named after a friend of my parents (she lives next door to them now). She is also called Tina. Supposedly she was named after a Navy ship in the Atlantic.

As a shy child starting school every year, it was very traumatic for me. They would stop. They would try, they would butcher it. I would correct them and give my nickname. That happened all day the first day of classes. I am scarred for life! LOL!

Good thread. Take care everyone.

I don't know what I would change it to, I'm used to it now, but I always HATED my name. Like Fay, I was surrounded by millions of Debbies growing up (hence at 13, I started using Debi when I saw it in a book, it was a futile attempt at being different!) To make matters worse, my middle name was (ack, I can't believe I'm admitting this!) MAE. So all the kids would be, oh.. Debi Mae or Debi Mae not. GRRRRRRR :twisted:

This is cool and oh so revealing about all of us.

Well, growing up in Texas, it is required that you go by both of your names. So, I grew up as

"Mary Lynne", glasses, braces, skinny - you get the picture. At age 17 and just out of high school, I decided to pick just ONE name. Not really fond of Mary or Lynne, but picked the lesser of the evils for me. To this day, I'm still Mary Lynne to family or anyone who meets me through family. Otherwise, it's Lynne. So, guess I already picked. What a choice - kind of like beets or brussel sprouts.

(I've enjoyed reading these answers.)

Lynne

I went through my stages of hating "melissa" and tried on "mel" in my teenage years to try to sound not as young as "missy" or as old as "melissa"...i ended up working with a great woman i really looked up to who was "missy" and decided i didn't mind it so much, it's what i've always been in my heart...

However...

When i married and we had our daughter we were faced with a problem matching my new last name to the names i'd have liked for my child. "Ham" can be a little trying...and my mother just about fainted when we joked, after finding out we'd have a little girl, that we were going to name her Honey Glazed :shock::roll::wink: We had chosen the boy's name easily, Logan Xavier (anyone heard of the X-MEN? :shock: ) But the girls name we had to haggle over...originally she was to be Janis Christian (I didn't want a "Jan Ham") so i changed the middle name to Adrianna (the ahh sound...i figured i could use a nick name of Adri)..then HE decided to change the first name because he doesn't like nick names...i got to choose between Dominique or Sabrina. We have Sabrina Adrianna. It fits her beautifully!

Ann, there's your name with more syllables!! LOL

My "real" name is Katherine. Living in Asia and Europe (over 10 years)gave way to several different versions of Katherine or Kathi because some cultures had problems pronouncing my name.

The Koreans and Japanese always call/ed me Katie because they can't pronounce the "th" sound.

The Italians and Spainards always call me Catarina.

The Germans/Nederlanders always call me Katia.

Two of my male friends call me Beth (Elizabeth is my middle name) because both of their ex-wives are named Katherine (really) and they can't stand the name :-)

My mom always calls me by my sisters name Christina because she is the eldest. Eventually she gets to the right kids name!!

So I really never wished to be called anything special because I always had a variety.

Kathi

Growing up my name was Jane Russeell, You remember the first sex symbol and the infamous 18 hour bra?? I was delighted to get married and have my last name changed as I was always teased about it. I never liked the name Jane and was named after an aunt. My parents named one of my Sisters gayle and I have always loved that name so if I were to choose it would be Gayle.

God Bless

Still Jane

I've always teased Suki for spelling the easiest name in the world wrong. That said, there's lots of Amy's and only a few Amie's. I was supposed to be Charles, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

I think Bunny would have been a hilarious name - I know this is the internet, but whatever...my last name is Ravitz. get it? Bunny Ravitz? :lol: My father was Bunny in college, and my grand-uncles were all Bunny in the army during WW2. Needless to say, my brother's name is NOT Peter.

Now, all of you with your mind in the gutter re: how I got the nickname... :oops:

xoxo

amie

PS. Ann, these are SO FUN.

This is a really fun thread - and I am totally laughing at Bunny and Ginny!

Growing up I always wanted to be Sabrina or Samantha ie Bewitched, I thought if I had those names I would be able to wiggle my nose and get what I wanted :oops:

But as I got older and finally put the pieces together, I love my name because I am named exactly after my Grandma, Amy Clarice (although I was almost a Clarissa). I go by Amy (and growing up I always wanted to change the spelling of my name) and she went by Clarice and now my oldest daughter also shares the name Clarice.