question about oxygen use....

jorja

Hi everyone,

i just have a question for those who are on oxygen use. I just talked to my mom and she told me that a lady from the hospital came to check my dad's oxygen levels. without the oxygen his oxygen drops to about 78 and with the oxygen it goes up to 95. She did say it was better than it was over a month ago. My question is this: I know some of you have had pneumonitis and those of you who needed oxygen how long did you need it and how long did it take to recover from pneumonitis.....i hope some of you can answer this.....

jorja

Your dad may always need oxygen. Having pneumonitis can cause some damage to the lung/lungs. His age may also be an issue. Or the fact that he had lung cancer may be the issue. Lots of reasons.

I never had oxygen after I have radiation pneumonitis. I did however have it after my pneumonectomy. Then I had it for about 2 to 3 months and that was it.

He may need this for a long time and then again, maybe not. EVERYONE is different!

Good luck and God Bless.

I agree with Connie, he may always need it. A lot can afect oxygen saturations such as COPD, the cancer it's self, and even pneumonia. My mom had o2 also, but then she ended up not needing it. So, it's hard to tell.

I would make sure he wears it because 78% is pretty low. It should be around 90% or higher.

KIM

My mom is pretty much on oxygen for the duration, but it doesn't stop her! She puts the mini-canisters in her shoulder bag and takes off each day to volunteer at my kids' school. She packed up her compressor (well, my brother did) and she went to visit family out of state this weekend.

I don't know how long your dad may need it, but it can be a great thing. Mom actually gets around much better now than she did before.

:) Kelly