Good news, but mixed reviews

JudyB

Just wanted to let you all know my latest scan was an, "OK, you're fine, now get outta here!"

My husband was so concerned about this check-up, he even went with me. Normally, I get my scan and visit my oncologist and, then make phone calls. With the pain I've been experiencing, everyone was a tad worried.

I don't go for another checkup until Nov and that will be a month past my 2-year anniversary from dx!

What has been thrown into the mix is a renewed Post Thoracic Pain. It seems to mutate and change, sometimes (like now) REALLY unpleasant. It can go from the high pitch of a nerve pain, to a low, hot deep pain. I'm on Elavil to help, but I don't know if it's doing very much any more. I am to try taking 25mg pills during the day to see if that helps (along with the 50mg I take at dinner). I have an appointment at our Pain Clinic next Fri (was supposed to go today, but they didn't get the proper referral from my HMO). Since I've been having this for more than 5 months, what's another week?

I have also found that putting on the abdominal support thingy I got in the hospital does help. Lying down also helps. (I guess that would be the ultimate lying down on the job, huh?) Trying not to grumble too much, but it just wears one down.

JudyB

Judy, I am so glad to hear your good news!!! Sorry you are having back pain. I hope the doctors can find something to alleviate that for you soon. I am also so happy for you that you are almost to two years since diagnose, gives me much needed inspiration and hope.

I too am having this type of pain. When I lay down it seems to ease up some. I then take a Loritab and it will go away for bout 2 hours. My Onc has refered me to Pain Manag but cant get in for 4 weeks. I have been looking for info on this pain. Has anyone else experianced this?

Judy, does short of breath go with this pain. My Onc has not been helpful with this. My Pulmanory Dr said it was JUNK left over from radiation. I was wondering if it was radiation pneumantis until Onc said Post Thoracic Pain. Would like to hear from anyone that has experienced this. Does it go away or do we just take pain med for it?

Judy, Great news about the clean scan!! I hope that you are able to get relief for the pain that you have been having. I wish I had some advice for you, or some way to help. Let us know how it goes at the pain clinic. In the mean time, I'm sure that knowing your scans are clear helps on the 'worry' side. Take care, Deb

Great news on your scan results! Soory to hear about your back pain. I defininately know all about that from my L-4, L-5 ruptured disk 4 years and 2 back operations ago. I hope you find some relief. Believe it or not, stress will make it hurt worse. Now that you got positive scan results, maybe that will ease it up some. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Judy,

Im coming in on this late but soooooooooo happy to hear you are "CLEAN". As I said in Connie's post, you and she were among my first friends here to send me that lifeboat when I was drowning in fear.

I saved the first email you sent me where you wrote in bold letters HE WILL BEAT THIS! I look at it when I need to!

Im so sorry you are in such pain, my friend. Hope by now you are feeling better.

Much love to you.

Guest Cheryl Schaefer

Just wanted to include my best wishes on your scan results. Hope they can solve your back pain soon. Back in Hawaii. Dick had his first of two chemo treatments last week. Side effects include fatigue and flulike type symptoms and acne (not sure what that is from). At any rate, he seems to be managing fairly well and is scheduled to go back to MD Anderson in September for surgery. Hope this stuff works. Take care and good luck on treating your back pain.

Cheryl

Wife of Dick

nsclc squamous IIIa

chemo now

surgery planned Sept.

Hey Jude!!! Great check up girl!! :lol::lol::lol: ; 2 years in Nov., sounds like a party!! :D , Sorry to hear the back pains still not under control but it sounds like they'er getting close. :?:? ;

God bless and stay well

Bobmc- NSCLC-stage IIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Hey Jude: Let's get Bob MC, and between the three, let's go hit a bucket of balls. My scan results were godd this week as well, at least in the context that there is no change from the last scan.

FORE!!!!!!!!