Getting to Know You...Day 2

Ann

For over three years now, I have carried the receipt for the copayment at M.D. Anderson when Dennis was officially diagnosed with sclc. I think there are several reasons I carry that paper but the main reason is to remember how fragile life really is. When I am searching for something in my wallet and see that paper, I realize how all too short life can be.

Mine is a little scrap of paper towel (hospital variety) that has a list of items to bring to Mom at the hospital. I haven't been able to throw it away because Mom wrote "C please" (coffee) in one corner. She was having memory problems at the time but she simply couldn't go without her Tim's coffee every morning!

Kel

Oh, man....I gotta pick just ONE thing?

Can't do it. The first TWO that came to mind, is a copy of all my current meds, current conditions and previous hospitalizations/illnesses....so each time I visit the hospital for a scan/MRI/whatever I don't have to fill out all those lousy forms. I let them photocopy this sheet. I highly recommend doing this to avoid writer's cramp! :wink:

The second that popped into my head is a wee card that my father wrote to my mother on their 26th wedding anniversary (in 1962) that probably accompanied some flowers...and it says, "Lots of love old scout, old pard" and he signed it McEwan, which is his Scottish clan and one of his middle names.

I love having that card...as it makes me feel so connected to Mom and Dad. Dad's been gone since 1974 and mom since 1985.

The last thing I'll mention (cuz believe me...there is a LOT of unique "stuff" in my wallet! :roll: ) is a listing of the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books I don't yet have. I collected both for many years...and kept a running list in my wallet of those I didn't have yet...in case I ran across a bookstore. This list dates back to when my 31 and nearly 27 y/o sons were literally babies! :wink:

Neeeexxxxxxttt........

hmmm. I have a "weingarten" rights card - it's a card distributed to union members which reminds them of their right have a union rep with them if they are called on the carpet by their boss.

it means alot to me for two reasons: (1)unions are my work, and something I believe in, (2)it reminds me, in a slightly different way, that don't have to go through anything alone. I can always invite god into the 'meeting', or call someone who loves me cause there are a few people in that category.

I carry a note my sister, Nancy (SCLC, 2001) wrote to herself during her last month. She was on high doses of Steroids for the swelling from SVCS.

In her handwriting it says:

Nancy (note to self :)),

Try to remember:

you have Lung Cancer

You are in the last stages

Some things that seem real are not

Some that do not ~ are

You are on a lot of medicines

You get confused

You get scared

Just BE KIND and PATIENT

You have just been introduced to my sister.

Thanks for asking, Ann.

I don't have anything that is really unique in my wallet but I have to tell you what my husband carries in his - a picture of his Pride and Joy, now all of you are thinking oh how sweet either me or the kids - NOT.

It is a old picture of a bottle of dishwashing detergent Joy and some waxing product called Pride. His grandfather gave him the picture many, many years ago and he has it laminated and pulls it out on a regular basis to show off his Pride and Joy :) Maybe someday it will be me :lol:

I currently have a small slip of paper from a fortune cookie:

You will accomplish more and more if you try.

I carry business cards of businesses I frequent often and of my doctors. The one that means the most to me is the one my PCP gave me upon diagnosis - she handwrote her home phone number on the card and said to call her at any time... (I never have, but the gesture said so much.)

OOPS... really don't have anything, :( I am just boring. :roll: Not even a picture as I really dont have a wallet persay, just an area in my handbag that I put my credit cards, license etc. No pics...oh have to wait for Getting to know you.. day 3.... if its middle names that keeps me out also. :cry: (it definetely is not Anne)

Maryanne :wink:

hmmm well I still have the list of all my moms meds and a list of phone numbers from last time my mom was in the hospital. I really can toss the med list as most of it has changed now. I also keep the receipt from the place we got our great dane just incase we ever want to call and take him for a visit.

This is long.. sorry .... :shock::roll:

There is a folded up receipt from a local restaurant here in town that since has burned up. And on the back of it, it reads, "I love you! Happy Belated Birthday. Linda Lou".

I had gone out to eat my first year here in Oklahoma a week after my birthday, at a place where one of my employees waitressed part time. She waited on me and refused to take my money, giving me the ticket back, with the note scrawled on it.

It has always meant alot to me because my first month in town, after Christmas, I was tasked with firing a group of reps including Linda Lou since they didn't think that she was going to make it as a Customer Service Rep after 2 weeks. I was only a manager a month, but I went to the boss (a daunting task in itself since he wasn't the most approachable person!), and begged for Linda's job. Linda was 38, heavy country accent, had always been a waitress, never worked on a computer, etc and had a reputation as the town drunk. But she needed the job and she had had a hard life. And she was good on the phone..and something just touched me about her vulnerability...

Long story short, my boss said okay, she was put on my team and Linda Lou became a center legend. She was a character for sure, and can't really be described here. She had a great sense of humour, and although her calls weren't necessarily always handled in the conventional sense, her customers loved her. She went on to be a floor supervisor and helped out holidays in the training department, constantly amazed that she was able to do it. When another call center opened across country, Linda Lou was flown out to help set it up and train the new reps.

Although Linda Lou is no longer with the company, her note in my wallet still means alot to me. There have been many Linda Lous in the last 5 years, and most of them DON'T work out. There have been more than several times when I thought what am I doing, my job sucks, this is the worst job in the world, etc etc etc.. and I find myself unfolding Linda Lou's worn note and reading it. It reminds me that sometimes you don't have to do great things to make a small difference in someone's life, that sometimes all you need is someone to believe in you. The rest just falls in place..

I have a card that was in some flowers my hubby sent me-It says"to the most beautiful woman in the world. Happy 10th." That was 6 yrs ago. :D

Cindy

In my Bible I have little notes the kids have written me during church-they should of been listening- one says Happy Easter 1997.

I was thinking that I don't have anything fun in my wallet, and I probably don't right now...

But usually I have at least one signed sugar packet in my wallet. I collect them. If I go special places or am with special people, I pick up a sugar packet, date it and make everybody with me sign it.

I have quite a collection now. :)

I have two things. One is a little index card that is brightly colored with the word "Grandma" scrawled in 4-year-old printing and hearts all around it. My granddaughter made it for me when I was out-of-town and she missed me.

The other thing is a band-aid. I smile every time I see it because it reminds me of my husband. He is very athletic and adventurous, and he always ends up getting scraping or cutting himself. I carry a fresh band-aid for his next little adventure.

Pam

Well shoot I just cleaned out my wallet. And if you had seen it beforehand you would have said Dee why and the world are you keeping all those receipts. Even grocery receipts. My Mom always says make sure you keep your receipts. Probally the only thing my Mom said that I listen to.

Best Wishes,

Dee

I carry a cross my son made for me in Sunday School. It reminds me that I have so much in my life to be thankful for. It also helps me to remember I will be ok if my Dad doesn't make it because I have my beautiful children to be strong for.

I also have a list of the current medications my Dad is taking.

Denise