I don't understand

elkiesmom

Last night I was looking at our insurance to see if they would pay for Chemo even though it was after surgery and I got more questions then answers. The good news is yes they will pay but while reading about Gary;s nsclc Squamous Cell they said that even though surgery got all the cancer out and Chemo is given the out look is very poor for this type of cancer because it is fast growing and goes right into the blood stream and goes where ever. Any words of wisdom. I am going from high to low and I don't dare tell Gary this.

Lorrie

Lorrie, I have no wisdom for you. I'm sorry for that. I just want to encourage you not to panic over any little tidbits you read. it's just information,not necessarily what is happening to Gary. I had to learn that with my mother's cancer - I am a reader, but I have to be able to process the info without flipping out like I did at first.

I know you'll get answers here, and you'll be able to use them to help Gary.

meantime, we're here for when you're scared.

xoxo

amie

My dad has squamous cell as well. I read from a website that NSCLC is relatively slow-growing and it stays localised (meaning it stays in the chest/lung area) for the longest time. I have the same worries as you. However, Gary, having had surgery and chemo definitely has better chances.

An insurance company employee gave you this prognosis???? I think I'll go call my lawn maintenance guy and ask if my insurance premiums might change next year ....

It sounds like Gary's doctor is doing all the right things to give him every chance to live a lot, lot longer.

My newspaper boy just told me what the market is going to be doing next week.

Stay positive. We are living in some pretty exciting times right now re lung cancer treatments and healing.

Lorrie, Sorry the insurance person took it upon herself to diagnose Gary. Each person is different. like Bunny said, sounds like you have a good doc who is being agressive for starters. That is great. All the cancer stuff can be pretty scary. By the grace of God we live a day at a time anyway. Will be praying for you both. pammie

Okay Oliver, I have to say, this is down right Hilarious!!! :lol::lol: I know your trying to put some very BRIGHT LIGHT on what Lorrie had read in the Insurance papers, and I have to say, if it didn't work for Lorrie, it sure worked on me!! :lol::wink:

Lorrie, RULE ONE: DO NOT READ ANY OF THAT CRUD!

RULE TWO: DON'T READ ANY OF THAT CRUD!

RULE THREE: PLEASE DON'T READ ANY OF THAT STUFF! :roll::wink:

I have a very good friend of mine who IS a 11-1/2 year stage IIIA Squamous Cell LC SURVIVOR and he is doing VERY VERY WELL!

Best wishes to you and Gary,

Connie

An insurance company employee gave you this prognosis???? I think I'll go call my lawn maintenance guy and ask if my insurance premiums might change next year ....

It sounds like Gary's doctor is doing all the right things to give him every chance to live a lot, lot longer.

My newspaper boy just told me what the market is going to be doing next week.

Stay positive. We are living in some pretty exciting times right now re lung cancer treatments and healing.

Hello ElkiesMom!

I have the same type cancer as Gary. I was told it was a slower growing kind. I had surgery over a year and a half ago, two months short of two years since diagnosis and I am still doing fine and eating good. I am short of breath upon exertion as a result of surgery, but I am feeling pretty good. Hope that gives Gary some encouragement.

Sharon

I promice i will not read that crud again. I read it on the ins co web site.

We just came back from moffitt and we no longer need to go there any more.(so happy) I asked the doctor what stage Gary was and I finally got an answer (drum roll please)he is or should I say was 1b. The first surgeon we saw said gary was at least a 3 because of the size but our onc had said maybe a 2b. We are just so lucky. I am forgetting about what I read and we will proceed with Chemo and I will let our oncologest lead. I do have faith in him. Thanks everyone for answering the hysterical Lorrie post.

Lorrie

Don't give up hope. Cancer is cancer and you have fight-fight-fight. My husband's oncologist always told us" cancer is rarely cured in many cases, and is very difficult to treat--but treat is what we'll do" :!: So go get the treatment :!: Many people live many long lives with cancer. God bless,NancyC

You need it to fight micrometastasis. Drs are working on ways of finding these but for now chemo that will just kill off those cells before a tumor grows is the safe way to go. The following is some research that is going on now.

Dr. Michael Maddaus lectured on the "Current Status of the Molecular Substaging of NSCLC."

The search for a more accurate means of staging is entering a new and exciting phase ushered in by advances in molecular approaches that have increased the capacity to detect metastatic disease through the use of oncogenes and other oncogenic factors. These molecular tools, which include immunohistochenical (IHC) and nucleic acid-based approaches, have strongly impacted our sensitivity of detection of micrometastatic. Small numbers of micrometastatic cells not previouly appreciated by routime pathological analysis can now routimely be identified in the lymph nodes, blood and bone marrow of surgically resected patients.

When I asked him if these tests could some day be used as a screening tool , the cost etc he said perhaps , they are relatively inexpensive . The research right now is aimed at making more accurate staging because many are told they have neg. lymph nodes etc then 6 months down the road find out there was metastasis that could not be seen by the pathologist at the time they had surgery. With more accuracy they would know who needs chemo etc.

Hi Lorie & Gary,

First off welcome here.

I know you are feeling so much better now. You can take a breath and relax. :D Gary will be just fine. He is very very lucky that he was a candidate for surgery. The chemo is for preventage purposes.

My husband was IB had his left upper lobe removed, went through chemo, carbo/Taxol 4 treatments (was not bad at all) He finished up in June. His chest Xray is all clear and he will be getting his CT at the end of the month.

I am so glad for you guys!! :wink:

Keep us posted.

Maryanne

Hi Lorrie.

In ten years, DH and DW will be here answering the same questions for someone else trying to learn though all this muck and fear and inconsistensies. You just keep on as you are doing, and if something doesn't sound right to you, keep asking!! And keep learning! That is one of the best ways I can think of to survive this blight.

:D Congrats on the early stage! That is wonderful news!

Cindi o'h