Radiation causing eating problems

-Cheryl-

Hello everyone,

I am midway through 25 treatments of radiation, and have developed a strange pain (dull throbbing headache) on the top of my head (center/ right hemisphere.) Within seconds after I swallow certain foods, it comes on quickly, then disappears. Kind of like when you drink something cold, really fast. It is ocurring frequently now, almost everytime that I eat anyting except maybe pudding. Plus a burning in my mid chest, and nausea. I expected the nausea and burning, but not the strange ache in my head. Has anyone ever experienced this? Could the nerves in my esophagus be causing this pain all the way to my head...sometimes it also ocurrs in the base of my neck (right side.) I had a brain MRI about a month ago, and am in the "empty head club!"

Cheryl

Cheryl, I would ask the onc about this soon. Lucie has had severe headaches lately (not associated with eating or drinking) and the onc put her on steroids for several days, which seems to have helped. Of course, he ordered an MRI of the brain, which results we should get Monday. Best to you. Don

Just wanted to let you know that during my radiation treatments (close to the end) I experienced something similar. Every time I ate (ANYTHING -- including pudding/yogurt/Nutritional Shakes -- consistency didn't seem to matter), I would get a searing pain in my chest that radiated right up into my EARS! Occasionally it would travel to the top of my head as well. It did pass after a few weeks though, and I'll say a prayer that it passes for you quickly as well -- it wasn't fun!!

I am glad to hear someone else mention swallowing hurting their ears. My doctor looked at me like I was nuts when I said that and told me he had never heard of that before! It did get better pretty quickly for me, though. By a week after radiation ended, I was eating most things comfortably. (Steak was off the menu for a while, and I do love fajitas, but no more pain in the ears.)

Becky

Cheryl,

Hope your eating problems are getting better. So many different things can occur with radiation treatments. My crud was pretty minor but I did have what I called HEART pains the first 3 weeks of my radiation treatments. My heart hurt! That's the best way I can discribe it. They ran a bunch of tests and low and behold I was fine. I also had the glass in the throat feeling for about 10 days, but that was it for me. Lucky, I'm sure! Oh well!

Becky, Don't you just love it when your a lung cancer patient/survivor and then you find out your NUTS TOO????? :lol::lol::wink::roll::roll: I know a LOT of NUTS that are cancer patients, me included!!

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

Hi Cheryl,

I always knew that esophogeal pain, like heart pain, can indeed radiate to the neck and jaw but not the head, until today!

I had a horrible time with post radiation esophagitis and even an esophogeal ulcer. Thankfully, it's pretty much gone now except for an occasional spasm or something. This morning, I developed a pain that was pretty bad in the left back that moved to the mid chest and then to the head. I had a really bad pain in both temple areas. I took some antacids and it all went away.

Sam

Thanks folks,

I know what you mean about your doctor thinking you are crazy Becky! Mine laughed at me! He said, " I am sorry for laughing, but I have never heard of that before." I asked if he thought it was something more serious. He replied "no, it comes on quickly after you swallow and then leaves. It is an esophageal related symptom." It is hard to swallow most foods. I don't feel this pain with small sips and bites of room temperature food though. I think my hair loss has contributed to the head pain, my scalp is so tender. I lost a lot of hair from the spot aforementioned, but could that be because I am constantly rubbing it from the pain! Ha! I have a full hair line and baldness by my ears and on top of my head....All of the areas I rub the most! Jack said he would shave his head for me, but settled for a hair cut. HE GOT RID HIS EIGHTIES HAIR FOLKS JUST FOR ME!!! He really looks quite fetching and grown up to say the least! Thanks for the helpful insight to you all. Sam, I hope that your esophagus is much better too!