Alimta question

SBeth

Bill has decided to give Alimta a try and so we begin our journey with this chemo on Tuesday. He's had a B-12 shot and we will start the Decadron Monday for three days...but I was wondering how long the infusion on Tuesday will take? When he first began chemo with the Carbo/Taxol he was receiving it thru his port and it took about 5 hours per week. Then he switched to the Gemzar and the infusions were only about 2 hours per week. Is there a "standard" amount of time to expect to be at the center for Alimta, or does it depend on the dosage?

Thanks,

Beth,

It is given with a syringe (through the IV) and only takes about 10 minutes. Of course, there are drugs given before such as anti-nausea, steroids, etc. that will add to the time.

Below is a link I found that gives more information.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic3/alimta_ids.htm

The administration seemed really easy for Charlie. It did make him very tired. Praying for you guys. Take care.

Beth,

Fingers, toes, and everything crossed that Alimta will do the trick! Will do extra thinking about you both on Tuesday!

Tina,

Thanks for the link -very informative. Alimta added to my Tarceva is the next proposed step if Tarceva ends up not being enough, so I was really curious about it.

Leslie

Beth,

Don got his Alimta through an IV drip. It took longer to find a vein and get the IV started than it took for the infusion. They gave fluids with it also. The infusion only takes about 10 minutes, but he was also getting Zometa, so it took a little longer. We usually there for about an hour. Don didn't get any anti-nausea meds with Alimta, he just took Decadron the day before, the day of, and the day after (8 mg.).

That will be a lot better than 5 hours!

Love,

Peggy

It is Tuesday...........

We are rooting for resounding success with Alimta and an excellent tolerance for the assault on Bill's system.

Bill, we join all of our family here in sending our strongest possible energy for good results.

Love you

Pat and Brian

I just caught on to this thread, too. I hope and trust Bill's experience with Alimta will be like jimben's, and will get great results.

I'll say a prayer, just know that I am thinking of you. And I swear, I don't think about the airport security thing everytime I see your picture, really, I don't. :D

xoxo

amie

Thanks everyone for the prayers. We're off to get the Alimta in a few minutes. It's been a long week for Bill on the fence about taking the path less travelled, or continuing to fight. He's got his boxing gloves on and I'm in the corner of the ring with the spit bucket...hopefully we wont need one.

Thank you Amie...I needed a good laugh this morning.