Chemo Side Effect

adee

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting, although I've been reading the board since March when I was diagnosed with Stage IIIA NSCLC. Because of breathing problems, I am not a candidate for surgery. I have gone through 7 weeks (5 days/week) of radiation and 7 Taxol/carboplastin treatments that left me with numerous side effects. The worst of these is orthostatic hypotension - that means my blood pressure drops to about 70/50 when I stand up. My oncologist and cardiologist have both said there is no cure and really no effective treatment. I think I would feel pretty good, if I could just get off the couch! Has anyone had this dreadful side effect with chemo?

CAT and PT scans last month showed that the tumor had not spread - but it hadn't shrunk either - damn! :cry:

I'm scheduled for another round of chemo starting next week - Taxotere this time. Wish me luck!

There are so many advances and drugs today that diminish side effects from chemo. At the outset with Toxol and carboplatin Jim was prescribe Zofran which forestalled any nausea. He did not need to take the Ativan. Loss of hair was most dramtic side effect. Other new chemos caused different side effects. They will kekep on top other side effect such as developing fever. Fatigue and drop in red cell count were most dramatic iwth newer chemos the second year.

Good luck!

Welcome to the board, adee. Glad to have you here although I wish it were under different circumstances that we have met. I am so sorry to hear about your problem with your BP. I never heard of that problem before, but as you have read on here, each of us seems to react a little differently.

Nina

adee,

I'm sorry you have had a rough time with the chemo side effects. I haven't heard of the low blood pressure either, I wonder if it will get better in time.

I also did the Taxol/Carbo combination when first diagnosed and had the same results..no shrinkage, no growth. I then went to Taxotere and had some improvement on it. It is much easier than the Taxol.

Welcome to our little community. Ask as many questions as you need, there is a wealth of information here.

TAnn

Welcome,

My Dad had some similar experience with Chemo, his blood pressure would get very low... the docs thought it was more attributed to dehydration though. If he stayed very hydrated, the problem seemed much less severe. So I would push as much fluid as you can... especially just plain old water and see if that helps. Love, Sharon

welcome to the board Adee. We just got back from our onc and Gary will be taking Carboplatin and Taxol also. He will also be given before each session aranesp.Aloxi for nausea in iv form and prednisone in iv form.I have read the side effects and they are not pretty but the one that the onc said WOULD happen is hair loss.He also stressed drink pleanty of fluids. This is also new to us. take care

Lorrie

Welcome Adee,

My Dad also has had the drop in blood pressure from chemo. His dropped to 56/40 while standing. He has been in for fluids several times, which really does seem to help for awhile. Try to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day and eat food high in salt. Hope you feel better soon.

Denise

Adee,

I haven't had any of those side effects. I wanted to welcome you and let you know what a wonderful support group it is here. You have found the right place. My prayers are with you during this journey.

Living life,

Jamie

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome to the board! I feel like I've found a home when I can dump all my fears and thoughts (both good and bad). Although my sweet husband has been so supportive, I know he gets tired of hearing some of this stuff over and over again. So thanks for being here!

Answering the couple of replies regarding my drop in blood pressure. The oncologist first thought it was from dehydration during chemo and I wound up in the hospital twice being pumped full of fluids for days on end. But the blood pressure problem continued even after chemo was stopped (I've been on a 4 month chemo break. That's far too long for it to be attributed to dehydration! It is truly a very rare neurological side effect from Taxol. :(

Answering the couple of replies regarding my drop in blood pressure. The oncologist first thought it was from dehydration during chemo and I wound up in the hospital twice being pumped full of fluids for days on end. But the blood pressure problem continued even after chemo was stopped (I've been on a 4 month chemo break. That's far too long for it to be attributed to dehydration! It is truly a very rare neurological side effect from Taxol. :(

Ok now I am scared. How strong is this combo? Gary is cancer free now. Is this the best choice??????

I am so sorry to butt into Adee's subject but it poped up yesterday when we found out that Gary was getting the very same type of Chemo.

Lorrie

I am undergoing both Taxol/carbo now. I have had similar effects ( dropping blood pressure )I have been hospitalized 3 times - so far - for different effects of the chemo. They told me the drop in pressure was dehydration too. I'm not convinced !! This last time ( got out of the hosp today ) they put me in because of dehydration. I had diarrhea for 3 days- from the chemo. I also had severe leg and hand pain from the taxol. Leg pain clear to the hip joint ! When I called about the pain - they told me it was the taxol. I also had a reaction to the pain med !!! This is NOT my first taxol/carbo chemo - it was actually my 6th!!! My oncologist said today that he thought we need to go to another chemo. some people cannot tolerate taxol !! I guess I'm one of them. I thought I was pretty tough.. not with taxol.

Good luck with your taxol /chemo - not that they aren't good .. my dr said that there are too many different drugs out there to put up with those side effects. Then there are a lot of people that have NO problem with this combo of chemo.

sue