new here...Mom just diagnosed with advanced nsclc

Guest kathleen

Guest kathleen

Mom is 84 in generally good health. No obvious symptoms yet. I can't believe it. I don't know what to expect. I am spending every minute outside of work with her and my Dad. Any words of encouragement? She starts chemo Monday. They are using Taxotere....she only has one kidney so there are not a lot of chemo options we are told. I am grief stricken and determined to make each day of the rest of her life better than the day before. Please help.

Hi Kathleen,

I am so sorry to hear that your mom has been diagnosed with this horrible disease. This website is a wonderful source of information and support. Please try to educate yourself as far as the treatments and side effects go. We have tons of information for you.

Don't give up hope. Look at Don Wood's posts about his strong and courageous Lucie. She is a real source of hope for all of us here.

There is plenty to be afraid of, but we are all here to help you and your family through this.

Welcome.

TAnn

Kathleen...welcome to our group. There are folks here with a wealth of information to offer you that will enhance your mom's care and will help you to cope. Just take deep breaths and take things one day at a time. You will find some wonderfully inspiring success stories from this group!

Kathleen,

Welcome. The first month after diagnosis is always the worst when it comes to fear, panic, and feeling helpless. As time goes on and the treatments begin, your anxiety will go down a little.

I'm sure you'd be worried about any medical problem with your mom - the word cancer is just extra scary. But treatments are so much better than they used to be!

I have the most advanced stage of lung cancer - stage IV - and I've been doing great since my diagnosis in January! Everyone is different and no one needs to accept a sense of "doom."

Come back often!

Leslie

Guest kathleen

Wow I never expected to get such lovely responses so quickly. Thank you to all of you for your encouraging words. I want to be hopeful and I have made the mistake of reading all of those terrible statistics on the www and have certainly felt a sense of doom. Then just a few minutes ago was browsing this message board where many of you were advising to stay away from reading too much. Its just so new to me and I want to know as much as I can to help Mom.

Mom is a very strong and positive thinking woman. she does not seem her age at all. I truly am hoping they can help her. I understand LC does not show many symptoms in the beginning. I think thats part of what makes it so hard to accept. She is happy and doing better than she has in a long while now. She lost her gallbladder, a kidney and her ureter two months ago...that is how we learned of her LC. It showed up on a scan. There was a cancerous tumor in her ureter but they said they got all of the cancer in her bladder.

I want and need to have hope. I visited a few other message boards on this topic but liked this one best. Glad I joined :)

Kathleen,

I am so sorry to hear your news. My mother has just been diagnosed as well (last month) The shock and grief is still very new to our familiy, as I imagine it is to yours

I am very new here, but wanted to give you some words of support. The only thing I can offer, you have already said......make the most out of each day and love your family. That is what I have been doing

Be thankful you live close by to visit as well. I cant imagine what some people go thru when they are seperated by miles

Dont think to much of statistics, try not to read too too much. It can be overwhelming. Understanding chemo and nutrition is important, so reading up on that has proven helpful to my family....but the stats, we dont want to hear because they dont apply to everyone!!!!

May everything go in your family's favor!

Welcome! I am new here too, and have found this board to be a wonderful place, and everyone here is so helpful and friendly.

I hope that you are able to find all the help and support that you need here.

I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Kathleen, am so sorry to hear about your mom. She has already been thru some bad times. so thankful you are there for her and your dad. A positive attitude is a wonderful help in fighting this disease. Laugh at everything you possibly can. Will be praying for all three of you. pammie

I wish none of us had to be here, and I ID strongly with other daughters of mothers with LC. I ID with everyone here, actually. I remember how awful those first few days of dx were.

this place has transformed my experience of my mom's LC. let us help and support you.

xoxo

bunny

Welcome, Kathleen. My Dad is 81 and has been dealing with the lung cancer for 5 years now. For most of this time, he has enjoyed a good quality of life despite some chemo and radiation. Your mother sounds like she has a great attitude, a fighting spirit and you're there for her. Sounds like a winning combination to me.

gail p-m

Wanted to welcome you, Kathleen...and to let you know that your mom is in my prayers.

My mom was just recently dx'd as well, so I totally understand your shock. Taking one day at a time as helped us cope and we do try and stay as informed as possible.

The people *here* are a wealth of information and so caring...

Gentle hugs, Kathleen and remember to be good to yourself...

Love and light

Libby

Guest kathleen

I can't tell you what feeling of relief it is to get so many welcoming and encouraging messages. I feel better already knowing I am not alone.

What should I expect with state iv/recurrent cancer? Mom's chemo starts Monday. How soon will side effects show up? Is there hope? I feel like its a death sentence and there isn't much to hope for, yet I read posts from others, like Leslie who have been diagnosed with stage iv and are doing well (good for you all!!!) The doctors say there is no sign of it in the lymph nodes or bones. This is very good correct? I'm thinking so, but do not know at all what to think.

Any words of wisdom?

Hi Kathleen: there is always hope. And, yes it is good that there is no sign of it being in the lymph nodes or bones. I have not had taxotere, but I think it has more side effects than gemzar for instance. There will likely be some hair loss and maybe some tingling sensation in the fingers and toes. They mangage the nausea pretty good. It will be at least 4 cyles before any results would be noticed. I hope the taxotere knocks the cancer back for your mom.

Don M

Kathleen,

God love ya, the first few days /weeks/ after the dx are just the worst. I feel for you. Things will be 'normal' again. Sometimes I can go hours at a time w/o thinking and worrying about my Mom.

Make sure you are taking care of yourself at this time, too. You won't be any good to your mom if you wear yourself ragged. She's lucky to have you there to help out.

Keep us posted on how she's doing!

:) Kelly

Hi again :)

My mom is just beginning her radiation/chemo regimen (this is the beginning of her 3rd week, I think) and so far the only side effect she has had from the chemo is some major nausea and fatigue. No hair loss yet! The nausea is fairly well controlled with medication and my brother bought her an anti nausea bracelet, which she says *kinda works*

I think everyone may react a little differently but we've been told that there are always things to combat the side effects..we'll see :D

Many prayers for you and yours

Love and light

Lib