My Greatest Accomplishment...

Debi

I just wanted to share this.

I had a job interview by phone yesterday and the interviewer progressed through the usual questions. Its been a while since I interviewed for anything so I am a little rusty anyway. After about 15 minutes, she asked me "What is your greatest accomplishment in the last 2 years?" :shock::shock::?

My gut reaction was to say "staying alive", that is my greatest accomplishment EVER, thus far in this life. Of course I couldn't say that, that's not what she wanted to hear. But I was rendered TOTALLY speechless, the one OBVIOUS answer to it was all that I could think of, and I couldn't think beyond that one answer. I scrambled, knowing that it must have been a full 30 seconds of dead air, before I came up with some politically correct, work related, bureacratic, BS response. :roll:

Anyway, they called me back today and I am going up for an interview tomorrow with the Hiring Manager. Its up by my daughter, so it would work out if I got the job, even though I'm nervous about it. I was going up there anyway, since I have to fight a speeding ticket in some small town up there, aka "My Cousin Vinny". So wish me luck with both, its going to be a long day!!

And by the way, my greatest accomplishment is, and will always be, being a survivor NOT maintaining the highest wrap up percentage in the enterprise for a catalog brand!! :roll::?:wink: How trivial you need to be at times!!!! :lol:

Debi,

Good luck with your next interview. It would be great to be closer to your daughter and her family. Keep us posted, ok?

Cindy

P.S.--Probably a wise decision to keep that real greatest accomplishment over the last two years from coming out in a telephone interview. Talk about freaking someone out that you never met before!

That is probably the hardest question you could be asked, between you and me. Of course we here all know the best response, but not "politically" correct. I wish you the best of luck in this job search - heaven only knows you deserve the best. I'm praying you get what you want out of this. "You can't always get what you want, you can't always get what you need, but if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need --- ahhh yeah, baby!

Joanie

Debi,

Hope ya get the job so you don't have to work every freakin' Mother's Day! Oh yeah, and so you don't have to work with a bunch of yahoos...

My last interview (and I DID get the job), I told them what my greatest accomplishment was, and not the "PC" version. I was interviewing for a move in the company so not exactly the same as your situation, but I DID answer honestly...found out that two years ago, a beloved member of their group had died of LC after a short battle. Got a new boss a month into the new job and his wife has LC...small world....

man Debi..

I can feel exactly what you are talking about.

If they do hire you, they win the prize. I hope that this is a company that is deserving of you. I know that you would be a great asset to anyone.

I like that it is close to your child and grands.

Hope it is a good one with great benefits.

Cindi o'h

Great news Debi---I hope your second interview goes great---and by the way, I think your greatest accomplishment is your whole life and how you survived everything, not just the cancer!

best wishes,

Sorry this is late....but....GOOD LUCK DEBI!!! I definitely think that chicken sandwich should be tucked in your purse as a good luck charm! Can you just imagine the looks you would get if you pulled out that sandwich!!! Hey, they would be afraid not to hire you! I'm sending all the positive thoughts that I can rustle up your way!

I just hate it when an employer throws a question at you like that. Had one ask me one time why I felt like he should hire me. Anyway, I am sure you will do fine on the second interview. Good Luck.

PS: Frank, the question is not how she got a speeding ticket in an Explorer but "how she got a speeding ticket in OK. :wink:

Thanks, as always, for all the responses. Now I have to vent!!!

Well, court was hell. About 20 people (locals) went before me and the judge would have them pay the fine, and then ask them how long they have been driving and if they have any other tickets. He would then give them probation, and as long as they didn't get any tickets in the next 6 months, this offense wouldn't go on their license. He had people going 75 in a 40, 55 in a 25, etc.

So I tromp up there when my name is called and I start explaining what happened. He says to me "Were you speeding?" and I said, "Yes, I was speeding but I was PASSING someone who sped up and I ran out of dotted line, I had to make a judgement call". And he says "Okay, thats $188.00". So I said "Will this go on my record" and he says to me "Well, you were speeding, weren't you?" I told him that I have been driving 33 years without a moving violation (even though I was the only one he DIDN'T ask), and he said "Well, now you have one! Next!!" :evil::evil: I actually had to force myself to walk away from him, I'm glad my son was there, becasue I was really pissed.

I am trying NOT to let this SOB get to me but WHY did he let EVERY PERSON in front of me have probation and I get this on my license?? I was PASSING someone, I know it is still speeding but I was not just tooling down the road 40 miles over the speed limit like some of these people. I was 8 MPH OVER, PASSING someone that sped up to mess with me. HE should get the damn ticket. And Frank, leave the Explorer out of this!! :lol:

Now that I'm home and reading your posts, I'm thinking the nice judge may need a nice chicken sandwich.. :shock:

Anyway, the job interview went really well. I had two actually, with 2 different people and spent 3 hours there. I am supposed to hear something from them in the next 2 weeks. So the day wasn't a total waste.

Thank you all for your thoughts!!

What can we say?

You have encountered 'one of those' who make our lives so crazy.

The must proliferate like mad............they are running amok!!

Unfair.

He is a jerk, now just let it go, or he wins. (very easy for us to say ~~ we just have trouble w/ putting those words into practice)

Love you,

Brat

Good luck on the job Debi. Hate those kinda questions too.

Yea; ran into a judge like that, in Ca.,...never looked up from his doodling, jus stuck it to me when the droning lawyers, and me, got done. Thing is, he sent me to defensive driving classes. Even tho the accident was unavoidable. Best thing that ever happened to me, it turned out...educated me to the dangers from other drivers...probly saved my life several times since.

The moral? Dunno, maybe that even a droll judge can cause some good, if only by malevolence. Maybe theres a blessing in disguise in some of these things.

anyway, good luck and take care..Rich B.