Mom has first PET and CAT SCANS since diagnosis

Guest TROY MARTIN

Guest TROY MARTIN

In mid June my mom was dx with sclc extensive. Since then she has been recieving aggresive rounds of chemo. All of her levels and counts have remained up throughout the process. She really has not been that sick either. She has actually gained 2 pounds. She had a pet and cat scan yesterday. The news came today that everything showed significant shrinkage or coplete resolvement of some areas. Her main tumor was 45mm by 25 mm and is now 29 mm by 20mm. The onc. seemed really pleased as did my mom. I did read the report myself though and came across some things that scare me. Most of the report was written in terms that I cant even begin to explain, but I did read an increase in pleural effusion since the 1st scan and also the word aclestasis or something like that. The word nephrectomy was always used. Please help me with this if you know anything about it. I was having a great day until I read these words. Thanks

Jorja, we could help define the terms, but there are so many variants involved, that it may just be more confusing! My advice would be just like the others -- Ask the Experts here or make notes to ask the doc.

I will tell you this -- that from the first scans I had in June 2004 until now, there have been literally dozens of things mentioned on scan reports, most of which weren't anything other than CYA for the radiologist! They use terms such as "is consistent with," meaning they aren't saying it is or isn't. And as my oncologist told me just last week, if everything they said was cancer in June 2004 really had been, I wouldn't be here asking about it today.

IMO, this is why treatment for this is a team approach -- there are radiologists to report what they see on scans, and oncologists to filter through it and make sense of it all.

My best to your mom for her continued improvement -- sounds great so far!

Di

The word nephrectomy means surgical removal of a kidney. Has she had her kidney removed??

Pleural effusion is the build up of fluid around the lung. Sometimes that happens with radiation, cancer etc. Sometimes it goes away and sometimes it has to be drained. Ask the Dr about that, it may be a small amount and nothing to worry about at this time.

I agree, reading those reports can be scary if you are not sure what you are reading. Ask to have them explained by the nurse or Dr while you are there. That might help to relieve some of the fears.

BEST part is SHRINKAGE!! We love shrinkage!!

Love Cindy

I hate that - fear of the unknown. I get that alot, looking at my mom's charts. Don's probably right. at least ask the doc or The Experts before you panic. :) I would opt for the doc because like Di said, everything needs its context.

good luck, and I'm so glad to hear the good news! try to focus on that.

xoxo

amie

Hi Troy,

It's good to know exactly what is going on.....and want to know exactly what your mother is going through. I wish I could help, but like you this is all so new and each step along the way there is always so much more to learn.

Try not to dwell on the words too much though......and bask in the wonderful news from your mothers scans. Congrats to both of you!!!!

Melinda

Guest TROY MARTIN

Thank you all for your advice. My mother was asleep when I read her report, therefore I was not sure what exactly her onc. told her. After talking with my mom today, she said that they did discuss the increase in pleural effusion and it was nothing to worry about at this time. She did have her kidney removed about 5 years ago, and you are correct- that was exactly what the report was saying. She said that her doctor is very pleased at how the chemo is working and said my mom is doing great. Great news for me and my family. I just hope the same for everyone on their upcoming scans. Thank you again.