In a Single Breath

Lisa

Hi,

I have been reading your site for a few weeks but afraid to register. My name is Lisa and my mom has been dx with sclc and it has gone to her liver. A little over a month ago, I was on top of the world. I had a job i truly enjoyed, had a cash windfall that got all my financial worries solved and in a single breath, my world came crashing down. And as of Thursday, I lost my job because of a stupid mistake I never would have made if I hadnt been preoccupied with my mom's illness. She has had one bout of chemotherapy and is going to start the 2nd this week. Her hair is pretty much gone, its not that she looks bad, she looks good, its just that with her hair gone, I know this is not a bad dream... I think I need to get some help for me too.... All I do is cry... She is more sick now with the treatment then she was before... Will she stop feeling bad or is this the way it will stay? Anyway, ur site is great and god knows, I could use some support...

Thanks

Lisa

Hi Lisa.

That's what this disease does to people AND families -- it makes their worlds come crashing down in a single breath. Now you have to pull together and organize the most planned, effective approach to beat this thing called cancer. It will take the most energy and commitment that you have ever put into anything before. You and your family should rally around your mother and learn as much as possible about her particular type of cancer so you can speak with the doctors on their level, and decide what is best for your mom. That's where the very knowledgable people on this message board come into play; ask lots of questions -- people have "been there, done that". Read ALL the previous posts on this board; some will pertain to your mother, some will just make you and mom feel better. The "Caregivers" forum will be especially helpful to you -- ask Don lots of questions. Take care, and stay in touch,

David P.

Lisa,

I am so sorry about your mom. This is a hard road to toe at first. Everything looks bad but after one stops and starts to plan what to do about it, then it starts getting somewhat better. The chemos, radiations and surgery's are very hard on the cancer patient but that too shall pass and better days will be ahead.

now, what about your job. What could have been so horrible that you lost your job...I don't want to know, but I want you to think about it, and if it was not a world shattering problem, talk with the head person, if they are not local, phone them long distance. explain what you were going through at the time and try to see if that person is understanding. Put that person on this board, let he/her see what ones goes through as a first timer to the world of lung cancer. Hopefully they will have a heart.... . If not, the company was not worth as much as a grain of salt...count your blessings.....

Guest peggyd

Hi Lisa

Lord knows we've all been there. The first few weeks, months are incredibly hard. My husband has been dx'd with sclc, mets to adreanals and lymph node. I walked around with a lump in my throat, on the verge or tears or crying most of the time. It is just so unbelievable. Then reading the web, only made things worse, reading all the statistics, etc. I try and stay away from the web now and ask my questions here first if I can. There are positive answers and results on this site that can give you the hope and stamina you need to continue on with the fight ... and it is a fight but one that can be won! My prayers are with you and your family. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Lisa,

You have come to a good place for support. Just like Katie B said there are stories of real survivors to find here. I joined about a week and a half ago and was given the advice to checkout the posting entitled Website in this forum. I believe "mday" gave us that link. It is an extremely helpful site creaed by someone who was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer in 1978...but he is STILL HERE!!! There is a great letter you can print out to give to your mom and important numbers you can call as well as other supportive links. Try to approach this battle as one with a BIG victory in mind. Get the knowledge to be proactive in her care, but not just statistics, real stories from survivors will help both of you to walk this road with more hope than you may have thought possible.

You and your mom will be in my prayers.

~Karen