What have you done that you thought you'd never do?

Leslie221

When we're first diagnosed, it seems like we all assume we'll never get the chance to do some of things we've always wanted to do.

Surprise! Many of us have gone on to do things we never thought we'd do! Maybe its because we've stopped putting things off for "tomorrow" or maybe opportunities have come up that didn't exist before.

What have you done (since diagnosis)that you thought you'd never do?

I'm about to go overseas to fulfill a dream I've had since childhood - to visit Pompeii and Rome! It was Mark's dream as a kid, too! That's one of the first surprising things we found we had in common when we first met. It's a gift to us from someone else or we could never afford it.

I never thought we'd actually do it. But we go October 8th! So, I haven't technically done it yet, but I'm gonna! :)

I've also spoken to my biological father after choosing not to for the past 15 years. I really didn't plan to speak with him again. We'll never be really close (it's not something I need) but it is nice to check in with each other without it feeling too uncomfortable.

Leslie

Don't worry - you won't be able to stop me from talking about it! I'm going to make a web page when we get back so friends (that's all of you!) and family can read and look at photos at their own pace.

So, that's two travel experiences. I'll bet travel turns up a lot in replies.

Leslie

I joined an online support board. I missed my son's sixth grade graduation due to needing to stay away from crowds at the time, but I've seen him reach thirteen.

I grew up living in different countries, I like being home and want to see the U.S., not the rest of the world right now. There are places I would like to see, but I'll never go. I hold my life too dear and there are far too many random acts of violence against Americans in the world today. I'm working on growing roots, I've never had 'em before and I feel they're important now.

Take my son off to college for his second year!1

They wanted him back and he wanted to go back!

This is monumental because he was a sweet little 7 year old when I was first diagnosed with breast cancer. I still remember that little blond head with the big smile when I picked him up that day . . .

gail

Taking care of my wife through lung cancer, being her primary caregiver and advocate.

Doing physical work (massage therapist) after retiring from brain work (research chemist).

White water rafting with my younger son and a guide.

Lucie and I have been to the places we wanted to go as kids, and then some. She wanted to go to Alaska and the Panama Canal. I wanted to go to Australia and Israel. I highly urge any of you who have a dream of going to some particular place, do it!

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...things I have done that I never thought I would do....there are so many!

After I was diagnosed, I thought that was it...life over. Since then I:

1) Celebrated my 35th birthday with my close family at a ridiculously fancy (and expensive) Philadelphia Restaurant and toasted the fact that I had made it to 35 -- now, I will Celebrate my 36th with them again tomorrow night -- at a cheaper place this time :wink:

2) Planned a lung cancer benefit in my town. The magnitude of what my husband and I were able to accomplish still doesn't hit me most of the time. But when I really think about it -- we raised $32,000 and had 350 people attend. 350! Having no clue what we were doing, we were able to create a place for 350 people to come and celebrate/honor their loved ones! I love that!

3) Shared my story with two major newspaper publications -- and give a speech at our benefit. I have a tremendous fear of public speaking. That speech was a HUGE accomplishment that I thought I would NEVER do!

This disease has caused me to step outside of my comfort zone and do what needs to be done to make a change. It has also opened my eyes to the beauty of things around me....to listen to the sound of the birds chirping at 6 a.m....to tell my son I love him every chance I get...to not sweat the small stuff...and to stop being a work-o-holic!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There have been a few milestones in the last 4 years.

We went to Australia, our daughter followed us to the NE from TX and has since married.

The biggest surprise of all I guess is that I went around for about 9 months with virtually no hair......I mean, I didn't wear the wig or hats that had been aquired for the bald event, I didn't like them so I went without even though part of it was in the winter.

What amazed me most was that I found it to be quite liberating - no bad hair days, no hair appointments to remember - just the occasional shave to ward off the mangy dog look.

So, I guess that's what I thought I'd never do.......flaunt my skull!!

Geri

I use to be scared to death to drive across this bridge that links our two States together. I would avoid it at all costs because it was too high and too open. The day I was diagnosed, I drove across that damn bridge because I thought if I had to fight cancer, I better get a lot more moxie about be and that was my alltime fear...funny, it doesn't bother me at all now, isn't it amazing what a little canceer will do for you?!