radiation Pneumonitis

Guest Jtate58

Guest Jtate58

Is anyone familiar with this side effect for radiation. My Dad had extensive radiation due to his tumor was inoperable and size. He has completed radiation 8 month ago and in the past 4 weeks he has gotten to the point it takes every effort to get out of chair and go to the bathroom.He saw a pulminory doctor to rule out empysymia and copd. He was put on 10 days of predisone with a sliught improvment. Now he is geetting worse just putting his clothes on puts him in to a breathing spasm. His pulmonoligist fells it radiation pneumonitis. We see his onciologist this week also just to rule out anything else. I am a precautionist.

Any information much appreciation.

Concerned daughter

Hi there,

My dad went through the exact same thing. He completed radiation in Nov '04 and pneumonitis hit him in feb. My dad was in the hospital for 2 weeks on antibiotics and then it was discovered that his lung collapsed. He then was in the hospital again with a chest tube to release air that had escaped. His breathing his getting better but it takes time. My dad has supplementary oxygen at home and wears it whenever he is at home....maybe that is something to think about.

Good luck..everything will be okay...(my dad's tumour is gone...I hope that gives you hope) It horrible to think that something that kills the tumour can have such bad effects to the lungs.

jorja

Guest Jtate58

My Dad has no tempurture and refuses to go to the ER. He has an appointment in the A.M hopefully we can make it through the night. He cant even make it to bathroom its going to be a long night.

Thanks Concerned daughter

I am recovering from pneumonitus now. Approximately three months ago, I was in the hospital for about a week with pneumonia,pneumonitus and pleural effusion. My onc told me the only way to get rid of the pnemonitus are steroids. I have been on steroids since I went to the hospital. They worked. I am still taking them but I am tapering off. Hopefully, I will be off of them soon. I hope this info helps.

Living life,

Jamie

My mom is experiencing this right now. As a matter of fact my dad was taking her to the bathroom when she went down and he could not get her up and ended up calling 911. At first they thought it was pnuemonia, but have since decided that may not be right. They never called it pneumonitis, but they did put her back on steroids so I assume that is what they are treating her for. Hope he made it to the doctors and is getting treated, keep us posted.

My father suffered very extensive radiation pneumonitis after a lengthy stretch of radiation. I found it difficult to balance my happiness that the tumor was shrinking so dramatically with the anger and fear over the rapid decline in my dad's lung function.

If you want to chat at all, please send me a pm. I would be happy to share my experience and thoughts.

Sending prayers and wishing you and your family well,

Kate