What now?

battleofbrooklyn

My mom was dx'd at end of Apr. with SCLC extensive. Mets to liver and hilar. Bone and brain scan at time clean, but MRI's of spine and brain last month were lit up. After two rounds of Cisplatin and Etoposide, doc said there was 50 percent shrinkage. Today we heard results of CT scan after five rounds: 80 to 85 percent shrinkage. She has one of more round of chemo (this week) and then a "treatment break" with a CT scan in two months to see if things are stable. Doc indicated more chemo or radiation not recommended.

My mother was very disappointed by the 85% figure. I had given her some stories of long term SCLC survivors and all of them went into full remission after their first-line chemo. She feels if there's any cancer left after this final chemo, it's certain to have grown by the next scan. She didn't voice this to the doctor but to me afterward, although she really likes the onco and thinks she's getting quality care (Sloan-Kettering).

I'm just not sure what to say to her at this point. I told her we could get a second opinion but she's not interested. I feel like she's been really strong and optimistic up till now -- which helped her weather the chemo -- and I'd like to say something that will keep her spirits up. Any thoughts?

Thank you so much.

First off, love your name! Cool.

I have Limited SCLC, not like your Mom, but, there are some things I can address. Shrinkage is good. That a tumor shrinks shows a resonse to therapy. You mentioned MSK which is the best care around in NYC. A second opinion can't hurt if you feel that is what you want.

Please tell her there are many, many SCLC extensive survivors here on the board and there's no reason she can't be another survivor, to join us. I'll pray for you and your continued journey.

Joanie

I guess its about managing expectations. I struggle with the same thing with my mom, although she has NSCLC which I know is different than your mom's situation. who's her onc. at MSKCC? ours is Kris. we're still waiting for mom to be well enough after surgery to start a medical regimen. they are among the best.

I'm not sure there's much you can do, Brooklyn (from Queens :wink: ) except see her through it. tell her we think 85% shrinkage is phenomenal! there are people here who show no reduction, but live quite happily with a wonderful word called "stable".

we've been dealing with LC for a long time now, and each 'phase' still comes with its own set of ups and downs. I am a huge proponant of living in the day!

hopefully, with some love and support, your mom will come around to see the good news.

keep us posted.

xoxo

bunny

Ok my friend here is my opinion... 85% shrinkage is quite phenomenal.... my Dad had no shrinkage, but stayed stable for almost 4 years with just one round of Chemo.... They are giving your Mom a two month break because her body needs it and they are obviously pleased with the results thus far. Daddy went for repeat scans every 3 months for three years before the cancer began growing again. Tell your Mom to keep you chin up.... Things certainly sound promising, I will keep her in my prayers.

Any shrinkage is a great thing and 85% is certainly nothing to sneeze at! Tell your mom to keep up the fight and by all means get a second opinion of it makes her feel more at ease!

I agree with the others -- 85% shrinkage is great news. My wife has been battling LC for almost three years and has never been "cured", but she is still here, clear of mind, and living a good life. So don't give up just yet. Be positive and help your mom be positive. Don

My mom was back at the hospital for Day 2 of this last round of chemo and her spirits were definitely buoyed as she told people about her scan results and saw them react positively to the 85% figure. Now she's already talking about the stuff she wants to do before her next scan since she's going to feel so much better without chemo. I will share your stories of "stability" with her...

Thanks so much.

Glad to hear she's feeling better about her response to chemo. I saw that 85% shrinkage and thought "WOW! That's great!"

That's one of the reasons I find this support group so helpful- the exposure to so many different experiences and perspectives makes it possible for me to get a more realistic handle on things. Invite your mom to read some posts here with you or -better yet - post herself once in a while.

Leslie