Louisianna

KatieB

Does anyone know if the roads are open or how I find that out?

I am watching all the stranded and desperate people- doesn't it make sense to get together and drive down there and load our cars with as many people as would fit? Drive them to the Astrodome in Houston or to Reunion Arena here in Dallas where there is water and food and beds?

Forget waiting on those few buses and for the govt. to "organize" something better. These people are dying, starving, and in need of some serious help.

Tell me if you know of a way we can help aside from giving money to the red cross. Even they aren't moving FAST enough.

I want to steal my husbands Dodge (grin) and drive down there and load it up with people.

I just need someone to tell me how to do it- and if it is possible to get to the middle of that and I would drive there myself. It isn't that far. The newspeople are driving there...why can't we?

I plan to go to Reunion Arena in Dallas where they've bused some LA "refugees" and bring loads of clothes. I've had them sitting in boxes debating over the last few weeks whether or not I had the time to EBAY them or not, and I'm so glad now I did not. I also have several cans of baby formula that someone might need. But it just doesn't feel like it's enough.

I can still pray.

I know what you mean Katie. I feel so helpless. I'm too far to do anything physical, all I can do is send money and hope it's getting spent on the people that really need it. My neighbor is driving down to Mobile tomorrow. It must be at at least 20 hours from here. At least he's doing something, I feel useless.....

Katie, You are truly an angel here on earth. Always looking out for others.... what a wonderful person you are and how lucky we all are to know you. The images on TV are heartbreaking... and I agree, we don't seem to be doing enough FAST enough.... I continue to pray.

Katie,

I know how you feel. I wish a flotilla of small boats and ships would make their way from Florida, and Alabama to the worst hit areas, drop off supplies and pick up passengers.

My understanding of the way this is working is that the news reporters are being flown in, and in some cases boated in to areas. Roads are not open, and some of those that do not appear to be flooded are severely damaged and are unsafe for a few vehicles, let alone a caravan.

I read today where some people are paying in excess of $5 at the gas pump already. The Gouging of America begins...

There is only one road open, so no you can't go there.

I just heard something very disturbing. Beside that fact that there are people in New Orleans living on their roofs because they are afraid of the looters, :shock: there were helicopters trying to land to take people from a hospital to a different location and the pilot could not land because there were about 100 people with guns :shock: on the ground pointed it at him.......

WHAT IS GOING ON!!! I think some people are going crazy.

What is taking so long for our troops to get there.

They should have been there long before this. It is getting out of hand.

I can't stop watching, CNN, Fox News and I get so deperessed. I just can't believe this is America and this is going on.

Maryanne

Katie..I so understand what you are saying. There is not a hotel room to be had here in Tyler, we have 2 red cross shelters open, but now that they are saying this is going to be long term, they are going to have to find more space, something about occupancy limits on short term vs long term...

The paper said today that the school district would be ready by Monday to start accomodating the children. People are getting out and looking for jobs, as they have no money of course, but there are no jobs to go back to, nothing, so they might as well start over here. Just unbelievable stories.

I called the Red Cross this morning and donated my spare bedroom. I donthave alot but I do have that and maybe there is a single mom or something out there, that needs just that. I feel so helpless....

One hotel was asking for colors and coloring books for all the kids. Nothing to do, they dont understand.people with pets seem to be having trouble as the shelters of course cannot take the pets..

There has to be something to do.....

Kim

Katie,

I'm sure they're not letting people in.

We talk so often here on the board about the frustration and anxiety of feeling helpless. I feel it so much now - people are in desperate need, some near death, we live in the best nation in the world and we are apparently unprepared to help in a major disaster.

Anyway, there are some groups trying to organize lists of people who will offer space in their home to refugees. They may also need people to help with transport. Anyway, they really want people within 500 miles of New Orleans, but said, they'll accept offers from anyone. Here's the site that contacted me. (Forget politics - they have the info on how yo help right on top of their home page.)

http://moveon.org/

Leslie

We had a small but very bad flood her in Burlington County last summer. No loss of life, but many homes were devasted. My friend & I drove up to the Red Cross Shelter and asked them point blank what they needed.

Besides money they needed bleach and specific cleaning supplies. We went home and called every teacher on our list and gave them the message.

I just watched Nightline and people in Houston are opening their hearts, thank heavens.

Another of my sister's is on a disaster team for FEMA. She could not go this week because her son is having surgery this week. She will leave after to relieve some workers there. She is frustrated by what she sees as well.

I wish I was closer.

gail

My company is matching donations of up to $100.00 per person up to $25,000. It is all going to the red cross-and designated to Katrina (what a pretty name for a horrible thing) -small amount for what is needed but perhaps if other companies do the same, it may make a small dent in what is needed. It sure puts everything in perspective doesn't it? Here I was concerned that I did not have the money to get a spa pedicure this week and a haircut and have a party for Labor day--well I am doing none of the above and donating my money.

regards,

One minute I am gung-ho and the next I am put in my place with the media saying that only the "rough of the rough" are left, armed and dangerous. That statement contradicts everything we've been seeing on the news concerning the families and elderly that are suffering and dying.

I'm so angry and feel so helpless. First things first, I am packing boxes and boxes of clothes and stuffed animals and going to the Arena. they could use it and those kids only have the clothes on their backs. From there, I guess I will see what more I can do!!

There is an article in this weeks People magazine (they were on the ball), showing differnt people and their stories. One really hit hard. A woman sitting on the ground with her husband behind her wrapped in a sheet. He had lung cancer and was on oxygen and the oxygen ran out....Its these things like this that make me realize the severity of it all. Just unbelievable.

Thats wonderful Katie,

They said that the Astro dome could only hold 12,000, when they first said 25,000. So now they are turning people away and they are in the parking lots. Some slept there overnight.

This is a complete nightmare and our government has screwed up big time.

They did say that they need voluneteers. They do not know what to do with these people and may move them to Dallas or San Antonio.

If we were closer we would help also.

Bless you.

Maryanne

Katie, I know just how you feel but just count to 10 and do some very logical thinking. Right now, you are in the exact location to help so very many people. When we had hurricanes last year, FEMA, Red Cross and the Salvation Army were looking for volunteers to hand out water and supplies and dish out hot meals. I think you're in the ideal place right now to do the most good! although it's tough to say, there are many people in these areas that are out of control. You have to think of your safety before heading to that area. Right now, I think donating $$$, giving blood (I'm doing today), offering services if you're in the immediate area and opening up your home are all excellent ways to help! Katie, you're one that always listens with your heart. Just let that fantastic brain of yours kick in and give your heart a hand figuring this one out!!!

Katie-it is harder than you think to get the people who need to come live with others while the clean up starts.

A group in my county are working VERY hard to get it worked out for 15-20 families to come here. They have no ID, no SS cards etc.

I will update you all on the progress. Hopefully next Tues. I will know whether we will be allowed to go to Houston to get some of them.

Please pray for the ones who are working so hard for these evacutee's

Cindy

I was so touched yesterday when I saw the thousands of people at the arena. I was also touched at the mile long lines of cars driving down to drop off donations and the many many volunteers to help settle the evacuees into our state.

For the first time in a very long time, I was very proud to be a texan.

Katie,

You should be proud to be a Texan. I lived in Fort Worth for a year and I LOVED the pride that Texans feel, its a tangible feeling. And with good reason!

I'm going to hijack your post to mention what my employer is doing, and maybe if anyone has ties with town government, church, or works for a large employer, they can encourage their company/town to do the same..

My company, along with the town government, churches, several other companies & the local Red Cross have banded together and plan to go to Dallas this week to distribute "invitations" to our town. We have an "800" number set up at work already just for hurricane survivors to call if interested in a job and relocation to our town. All factors (town, businesses, Red Cross) have been working on the logistics and have housing donated, transportation to our town from Dallas donated and have a guaranteed number of jobs that need to be filled for different employers in the area, needing a variety of different skilled/unskilled employees. My company alone, besides being able to employ quite a few people here (not sure of the number), is committing to employing 57 in our New Mexico location. The town there already has housing in place and have donated buses waiting to get folks there from Dallas.

I'm sure there might be snags up ahead as Cindy addressed but I am also sure that they will be overcome in the next few weeks. I thought I would share this idea in case anyone has the means to initiate something similar in their area, even if it only takes care of one family. Hopefully this will at least start to take care of their long term needs.

Thats fantastic Debi!!

I just melted when I saw the exhausted and shocked faces when they got off the bus.

One newscast who must have been there after us got a great shot of our "welcome wagon". The minute the volunteer said, "hello, welcome to texas"....so many just broke into tears. They were so relieved to be somewhere "else", and so happy to finally be getting help. Made me cry too! (but you guys know that everything makes me cry! :wink: ) still, it was really nice to see.

I'm so happy that big businesses and OK and other states are stepping up too. You work for some big hearted people! God bless Americans helping Americans!

Katie,

What an experience you've had! I would love to be able to go there and help. Thanks for doing it and thanks for sharing the info with us. Made me feel better to know how many regular people and companies (Debi!) are doing what they can.

I just read in a local paper to day, that University of Nebraska (not too far away from us) has offered to house college students who need shelter and to let them continue their studies free of charge!

I called the Red Cross and got some donation buckets to set up here in town. Took them around this morning and a guy I would never have expected to care about anyone else was the first to put in all the change from his pocket!

I'm editing this to add that I just saw on the news they've taken a lot of people to Dallas on Amtrak. If it turns out there will be a central place to donate things, can you let us know?

Also, here's a Houston link about volunteering, helping the folks there.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Rn ... uston&hl=e

Leslie

Leslis I commend you on doing that.

But I personally would not put money into a bucket from a stanger... too many scams out there.

I would do it in a food store, convenience store, or if someone I knew was collecting.

But I myself would not be comfortable putting money in an open bucket from a stranger.

Its a shame it has to be that way.

SO I just went to RedCross.org and gave there.

I have gotten emails already, claiming they are the RedCross with a site that looks like theirs, but it isn't. Its a scam to steal money from us. This is not what America is about.

Now if anyone comes around collecting clothes or can foods, I would give there with no problem.

Maryanne

Maryanne,

We live in a dinky little town where everyone knows everyone and I put the buckets (with Red Cross official stickers) in our two main stores. We have a lot of elderly people who live here who don't have computers and don't like to use credit cards.

Good advice otherwise, though! We don't lock our door here during the day either! :wink:

Leslie