HI ALL FROM TEXAS

Guest lking9903

Guest lking9903

Hello everyone,Iam a 37 happily married lady who has 1 daughter who is 18 years old and has my precious handsome 2 year old grandson. My husband is a hard worker and the best man a women could ever ask for. Im not sure if i should be on this site posting or not but my grandfather and grandmother and aunt have all died from lung cancer. I have read alot of post and I AM SO IMPRESSED WITH THE SUPPORT AND INFORMATION ON THIS SITE!!! The main reason I am posting is I have had pnemonia about 3 times this year already. I am 37 now and have been a smoker since I was 16 years old. about 3 months ago i had a bout of pnemonia again, was so weak i couldnt get out the bed for 2 weeks. anyway i went to my doctor and he x-rayed and said it was pnemonia in both lungs, he treated with a shot of pennicillin and antibiotics and cough syrup. went back 10 days later and he took a x-ray and said all was clear. well here 3 months later about 3 weeks ago i started feeling pain in my left side in my lung again, from my back all the way to the front and sometimes in my left shoulder. im feeling weak again irritable and just plain not feeling good so i went to see my doctor again a week ago, he took a x-ray again and came back telling me that it looks like i have pnemonia in my left lung again but he will have to get a radiologist to look at the x-ray more closely. needless to say he went ahead and gave me another shot of pennicillin aagain. here it is a week later and i am sitting at home hurting worser than i was when i seen him a week ago. im out of breathe and the pain will not go away in my front and back lung area on the left side. I called my doctor 2 days ago wich was friday sept 2,05 and he says that he will not give me any more antibiotics or anything for it. that the shot should work. I am beggining to think that it may be lung cancer the way it is hurting and lingering on nd getting worse, especiaally being weak and out of breathe and getting very irritable. and from where the pain is stemming also. i know i sound like a old cry baby but do you think i should go to the hospitol and see if they can run more test since i feel like im being shoved off by my own doctor? Anyway nice to meet all of you and i would apprecite any advice you could give me. I am just worried becaause i have read so much on here how almost alot of you have been misdiagnosed for months and sometimes years. i would haate to be one of those people who really has lung cancer and the doctor keeps missing it, what kind of test would they have to run to actually not miss a diagnosis of lung cancer? thanks so much

I would run not walk to the ER and get a cat scan. Especially since there has been a history of that in your family.

It doesn't make sense to me that you keep getting all this pneumonia and now he won't even give you the antibiotics. You must get this check out with a CT not just a chest Xray.

I don't want to scare you but even if it is pneumonia it has to be treated.

Maryanne

Guest lking9903

hi mrynn and ginny, thanks for the replies, I have decided to drive in the morning to another hospitol in another town, i live in a very small town and you know how country doctors can be here. i will go to the hospitol nd demand they find out what is wrong with me. I WILL PRAY THAT IT IS PNEMONI ND NOT LC. I WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW HOW IT GOES LTER, AGAIN THANKS

Hi and welcome...I have to agree with everyone RUN to the Er and demand they give you a ct scan (thats easier said than done sometimes). I would certainly look for another doctor too, being brushed off for any reason is not acceptable.

Please let us know what you find out, and we are here for you

God Bless

Kim

PS I am in Tyler, where bouts are you?

I want to welcome you and tell you that, in my opinion, you are doing the absolute right thing by insisting on someone checking you out thouroughly. You are right in assuming that a chest xray doesn't show everything. They should at least do a CT. Hopefully, it's something that can be easily treated, but even if it is lung cancer, you need to know that so you can be getting proper treatment. To say the least, recurring pneumonia weakens the lungs and shouldn't be taken lightly. My best to you. Let us know how you are doing and what you find out. We will be here if you need us. This is a wonderful group of caring people.

God Bless,

Sue

Glad you find the website. I hope to hear good news from you soon.

Before my mom was diagnosed, I had a LC scare, they found an infiltrate when I had a ct-scan for gallstones. I was followed up with scans in 3 months and it went away, but showed up in other lung, then both resolved. My dr said the GOOD NEWS is that lung cancer does not disappear and then reappear in different spots. I hope the same for you and it is a simple infection.

Let us know

I'm new to this group too and as you can see they are a great bunch of people with invaluable advise. My mum was diagnosed twice with pneumonia but once her doc realised that antibiotics weren't working he organised a CT scan, broncoscopy and needle biopsy.

It is great that you are getting it checked out thouroughly.

Hope all goes well

am thinking of you.

Your doctor is obviously not doing his job. You cannot wait until it is too late to find out whether you have lung cancer or pneumonia again. One does not get pneumonia over and over again (I don't believe so) - but if you do have it AGAIN AND AGAIN......SOMETHING...........is causing it! Please.........go to A NEW DOCTOR and demand a cat scan! or even a PET scan!

Barb

Hello from AZ! I agree with the others...get the CT scan - small nodules do NOT show up reliably on plain chest xray.

However, in your neck of the woods, as in mine, there is a fungus in the soil called Coccidioidomycosis, that can manifest as pneumonia. (with a lot of joint achiness involved, as well) Because it is a fungus causing the pneumonia, and NOT a bacteria, regular antibiotics are uneffective, for the most part. It is commonly treated with an anti-fungal. Make sure to ask your Dr. for a blood/skin test for "Valley Fever" aka Cocci. VF can also leave growths or "nodules" in the lungs that mimic LC, so please make sure you ASK for the test - many Drs. seem to be unaware this illness even exists.

Good luck, and prayin' for a simple cure!!! Welcome, and keep us posted! :wink:

I'm coming late to this, but by now you've hopefully seen another doctor and gotten some more answers. I am so glad you found this website, given what may or may not be going with you and your family history.

keep us posted, you'll find tons of love and support here.

xoxo

amie

Guest lking9903

hello all again, its me lking the one who posted the post. I just got home from the hospitol this morning, i had a terrible bout nd it ws pnemonia but the doctor i was seeing ws not treating it right or aggresively. im so glad it wasnt lc, and i am so thankfull for all the wonderful replys and advice. I am so gld i went to another hospitol and got treated with the upmost care i could have ever asked for. As for my doctor he has lost me as a patient for i cannot trust him ever again and noone should be shrugged off and written off by there own doctor. I will be seeing a wonderful new doctor that i met in the hospitol who treted me. the pnemonia had made me get plerusy, im sure i didnt spell that right but they had to stick needle in my lung on the left side just to drw fluid out of it. ouchie,i hope i never get lc but at least i know about this site and how concerned people you are about your health and the health of others. you all get a big hug from me and i will be adding you all in my prayers from now on. thanks so much for being there and i hope to talk to you all again soon even if its not about lc.