Itty Bitty Pity Party with a guest list of one.....

Fay A.

Okay.... I'm having a little pity party for myself. The last time my siblings and I were all together was 12 years ago during my Mother's final battle with Lung Cancer, and for a period of time afterwards when we worked together to settle her estate. (Half of us now live in Alabama, and the other half live in California.)

My sibs had a "mini family reunion" last week, and I couldn't go due to travel restrictions brought about by my own battle with Lung Cancer.

I hate this disease. I heard that my baby sister is still beautiful.

Okay...The Pity Party is over. At least this one is. I'm sure there will be others. (Reunions AND Pity Parties!)

Fay A.

Hey girl!!!!!

Know how you feel. I missed my oldest neice's wedding which was two weeks after my surgery. I called her that morning and ended up crying over the phone. Just what a bride needs before her wedding.

We're still here.

A little bitty pity never hurt anyone....I bet that your little sister was told how beautiful her older sis is too!!!! Take care and just be glad the reunion wasn't at your house!!! Now that would evoke a lot of PITY PARTY!!!

Fay

Everyone is entitled to a little pity party now and then. I can't imagine anyone on this board, lc survivor, caregiver or other relative who doesn't occasionally have a pity party. Welcome to the human race. I've always read your "upbeat" posts and admire your tenacity in fighting this disease. Believe me, I still do. You're one strong, optimisitc lady and apparently human too!!!

Gail _P-M

P.S. May I also inquire about something. You mentioned restrictions on travel due to l.c. I am hoping that my father can still at times fly out to visit me -- minimum of a 5 hour flight. Would the restrictions be if he were on oxygen and/or distance from his doctors that you were referring to or???

Gail- I'm sure that your neice understood your tears; thank you for understanding mine. :)

Guest- Oh My GOSH!!! You must have seen my house! After my sibs telephoned me I was trying to cheer myself up because they were having such a great time together and I wanted to be there with them. So I sighed, and looked around the wreckage I call "home" and thought to myself "Could be worse...Could have had the reunion here." :lol:

Katie B- My sister is 5 years my junior, and she has had poor health her entire life, but she's always been very beautiful in her personality and appearance. She's one of the kindest people on the planet. You actually remind me of her. The boys are the 'brains', she's the beauty, and I'm the sometimes 'pit bull' and all-time family mess. The role suits me. :)

Gail GP- Thanks for including me in the human race. This made me laugh in particular because one of the things I've set up to amuse myself after I start chemo and lose all my hair is to model for an annimation artist who is doing humanoid creatures for the video gaming industry. :lol: No joke! So if you see a bald headed, high cheekboned, green eyed humanoid matron on a video game...it might be me. :lol::lol::lol:

Flight restrictions: If he has surgical clips and staples inside from the lobectomy then he needs to obtain a note from his physician explaining this so that he is allowed to pass through airport security features. Another issue is Oxygen use. He has to make arrangements with the airlines, as well as set up a supplier on the other end of his flight. And the arrangements are determined by the type of oxygen generating equipment he is using. (there are several different setups). Also, he needs to be made aware of the fact that when he's flying he is breathing recirculated air over and over again. If the guy 5 rows back has a cold and sneezes, or the 7 year old across the aisle has a bad cough and runny nose then he is going to be exposed to those germs. He should seriously consider wearing a paper face mask, and if he's very susceptible then eye goggles as well. I know it looks odd, but it sure beats showing up for a visit and spending half the time down because you caught a bug on the flight over. I'm still recovering from the pneumonectomy and complications, that's why I couldn't make the trip.

Thank you for understanding that I was a sad, and that what was making me sad on all counts is lung cancer related.

Fay A.

Don, I never spend the night at parties. It may be 4 AM before I make it home, but I never spend the night. :) I'm trying to keep up with the different boards. I thought of you and your wife yesterday. Hoping things went well for her and you.

Fay A.

gosh I never knew about the staples and flying ----I know I set the alarm off once and had to get searched and take my shoes off---never thought about the staples ---however, other times I still go right through with no alarm sounding ---and the staples are still in

thanks for the info

eileen

Mea Culpa....maybe. I think it depends upon how much metal you're carrying around with you. I also have metal in one of my feet (I'm one of those "graceful" people), so perhaps having metal plates and metal screws impacts those metal detectors as well. Check with your docs on this one. :shock: <- I'm not really shocked...just a combination of confused, embarrassed, and goofy.

But one thing is very clear to me and to anyone who looks at one of my recent xrays. Between the three thoracotomies-and especially this last surgery where the resident "...double stapled the bronchial stump to prevent an air leak..."(which didn't prevent the air leak after all.)-I have some serious metal in my chest.

Fay A.