enema, and then some

francesbean

It's been a rough couple of days. Mom went away for three days so I stayed with Dad post-chemo. He's been irritable and very uncomfortable. Apparently his stomach feels very heavy as he has not had bowel movements in the past couple of days. (only small amounts, if any) He was so listless and whiny... and I couldn't do anything. At one point earlier he even told me 'I think I'm dying'. I know its the steroids talking but still it sounds so scary. When mom got back today he took suppository laxatives, to no avail. Eventually they went to the ER to get a Fleet's Enema done. Unfortunately, he hasn't found relief after procedure. He still feels heavy and bloated and refuses to eat anything. Has anybody had experience with this? He wants to go in for confinement tomorrow if he still doesn't feel okay. :( Perhaps it's a psychological thing? He seems very upset (understandably moody due to steroids) because of this discomfort.

Thanks for listening and hope everyone's doing good.

Sorry to hear your Dad is having this trouble. This was the WORST problem my mom had. Nothing they did would ease her pain from the constipation. She was admitted 2 times to the hospital and they gave her enemas..nothing. Finally they gave her what ever it is they give to people before colonscopy to clean them out. And that worked. almost too much. If you take him to th ER they can tell from exrays if there is a blockage and what needs to be done. If he does not get any relief soon I would get him there. This can be a dangerous thing if left untreated. The only thing that seemed to maybe help mom was a RX called Myrilax (sp), you might ask his doc about calling him this in.

Hope this helps

Kim

Last summer, Charlie had the same symptoms. He had autonomic neuropathy to his colon. It's where the colon stops working. Just like the ends of your fingers can get numb from chemo., so can body organs. They had to go in and use some medicine, etc. to get his colon working again. Charlie had a very rough time until they did the procedure. It was done as surgery with imaging to help them see where the problem area was. After the procedure, he improved dramatically and was able to go home after I think another day or so. Hope this helps. PM me if you need more information or have questions. Praying for your dad and for you and your family.

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia worked like a charm for Bill and has worked for him every single time he's needed it. The first time he began having problems with his bowels (probably due to the high doses of steroids and pain meds) I went out and bought the motherload of stool softeners and laxitives. We tried prune juice, fiber additives, some of the most expensive laxitives, enemas, suppositories...the whole nine yards, you get the picture. Then we bought a two-dollar bottle of MOM and about six hours later....WOOHOO...it was Charmin time! I hope your father has some relief by now, but if not, give it a try. Some times the cheapest old remedies work the best.

Just to add to Beth's suggestion:

One of the things our nurses recommend with our clients and it works is the Milk of Magnesia with prune juice. They call it a MOM BOMB. :lol: The other thing they use for constipation is called BAP and it stands for bran, apple sauce and prune juice. Mix them together and away you go..

Thanks for the tips Beth and Rochelle! Dad was taking in fruits and prunes and prune juice last weekend to no avail. If only we knew of Milk of Magnesia earlier! He's supposed to have a colonoscopy done today but thankfully, he doesn't need to anymore :) They gave him something called Phospo-soda and that did the trick.

Haha! Charmin' time! That cracked me up. :)

OOOh, phospho-soda is rough.... your poor father.....

Let that be a lesson to all of us in treatment. DO NOT LET YOURSELF GET BOUND UP.

I wound up perforating my bowel, and had surgery and ostomy etc etc etc.

This stuff is no joke if it gets out of hand, to use a phrase.

Good advice, Ry. You are a well of practical wisdom.

Here's to hydration and bran flakes!!

XOXOXOX

MaryAnn