Non-Smoker with Lung Cancer

Guest BionicBelle

Guest BionicBelle

Hello everybody:

My mom was diagnosed with non-small cell lung cancer on December 18th, 2002. It was a total shock to her as well as the family because my mom has never smoked a day in her life. My whole family are nonsmokers. My mom also was never bee exposed to asbestos, radon, or any chemicals. It is really a complete mystery how she got lung cancer.

She has Stage IV adenocarcinoma with metastises in her chest lymph nodes and a tumor in her right adrenal gland. She stated chemotherapy this past Monday with Taxol. twice she had a bad reaction with Taxol so the doctor then adminstered Carboplatin and Gemzar for her, which she has tolerated well. Now she has lost her appetite and has bouts with nausea.

Like all of you on this message board, I want to hear about those cases of people that are doing well and have survived this awful disease. I, as well as my family need hope. The statistics are so grim and I get very depressed reading them. Any advice to increase my mom's appetite and energy would be appreciated. Also, does anyone know of someone who has never smoked and has survived stage Iv lung cancer?

My best to all of you,

May

Dear May,

I am sorry to hear your dear mother has lung cancer. I know how hard this is for all to have to deal with. There are no simple answers to this

disease that lurks within so many of us.

As for being a non smoker, I also have to say, this isn't just a smokers disease. So many many things can and do contribute to lung cancer.

Does your mother have a family history of cancers? This to can be part of the cause over and above the fact that she may not have been around chemicals. Yet, Adenocarcinoma is considered a NON smoking lung cancer,

but then again, I was a smoker and I had Adeno as well, and know of many that do. I also know of many people that are non smokers that have been diagnosed with lung cancer. I have two very young gals in my support group that are lung cancer survivors and they never smoked. They are 29 and 36.

As for your mother eating, you may wish to ask the Doctor for a perscription for Megace. That does seem to help many patients to build up there appetite. It works for most, but keep in mind, not for all.

As for survivors being stage IV, I have a couple in my support group that are stage IV and one lady is a 3 year survivor and has no evidence of disease. She is doing very well. Her cancer had spread to her eye, and right now she is clean and clear. The other lady has it in both of her lungs and she is under going chemo. Her tumors are shinking and she too is doing well. She was a one year survivor and her's came back one year later in both lungs, she too never smoked or never was around second hand smoke. A part of me says it would be so nice to be able to blame all lung cancers on smoking, but sadly that is not the turth. But if we could blame it all on smoking, at least we would know why people get lung cancer. (sigh)

I wish you and your family all the best in this battle. It's not an easy one, but it is beatable and do-able.

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

My Father-in-Law lost 35 pounds immediately upon the start of Chemo. It was getting very serious since he was only about 165 to begin with. On the message board we heard about megace and asked his doctor to prescribe it. Since he has been on the megace, he has gained probably 10 pounds back.

For the nausea, we asked the doctor for Phenegren and Zeforan and this worked as well.

Of course all drugs effect everyone differently but I would ask the doctor for these to try.

I am sorry to hear about your mothers lung cancer and will be praying for her.

Dear Connie B.,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond back to my post. It touched my heart and it gave me strength to know that the lung cancer battle is "beatable and do-able." I was also happy to hear about the people in your support group who are Stage IV that are doing well. May they continue to do well and beat this disease forever.

Hugs,

May

Rick,

Thanks for responding to my post with the names of the anti-nausea medications as well as the Megace to increase the appetite. Tomorrow my mother will be seeing the doctor and having her second chemotherapy, so the names of these drugs will come in handy. Thanks again for your help and support.

Hugs,

May

Joanie Willis, author of The Cancer Patient's Workbook was alive over 5 yrs with late stage NSCLC. The book is wonderful and you can get it either at the bookstore, or through www.dk.com. It includes her personal story, lots of excellent information and is uplifting.

Hi Janet,

No she did NOT lose her eye, or her eyesight!! Honest to God! She did Chemo and right off the top of my head, I can't remember if she did radiation treatments, but I don't think she did. She has NSCLC Large Cell, stage IV.

She was having eyesite problems and went to an eye doctor who sent her to her family doctor and so goes the story as we all know so well!!! She is doing very well today with NED. I am going to try and encourage her to join this group. She does have a computer.

Warm and Gentle hugs,

Guest BIONCIBELLE

Hello everybody,

Thanks to those of you for all your input, support, and prayers. My mom is doing better and finally has her nausea under control. She is taking Dexamethasone and this has help to increase her appetite.

But, when it isn't one thing it's another. Now she is experiencing weakness and an extreme loss of energy. Also, her hands are shaking quite a bit. The strange thing is that when she is laying in bed it stops. When she's sitting or standing and raisies her arms to chest level or higher, the shaking gets particularly bad. This is very frustrating for my mom because she has always been a very creative and active person sewing, cooking, gardening, painting, etc., and now she can't even hold her cup of coffee. I would be most interested in hearing about anyone who has experienced this same reaction.

Hugs, May

Guest BionicBelle

Don,

How is your wife doing these days? Is she on chemo? Radiation? How long has she been in treatment and how is she overall?

My mom is on Gemzar and Carboplatin chemos and she gets both of them one week, and then only Gemzar the second week. The third week she rests and then starts the cycle all over.

She is feeling rather weak and the doctor said that the worst is in the beginning of the treatment. I wonder if this is realy true. My mom seems to think that as time goes on she'll feel even weaker. I wonder how your wife was in the beginning of her treatment and how she is doing now.

Hugs,

May