Surprised how I am following the "levels of grief"

KerryToo

My Mom is declining rapidly and thankfully, my three brothers have been with her giving her loving care at home. For the past week, since I found out that Mom was not doing well - (after 3.5 years fighting her heart out against this disease) - I have been dealing with the dilemma of "I don't want to go home to say goodbye" "I can't do this", "I won't be able to stop crying", etc. etc. Suddenly today, I decided that I must be in the DENIAL phase of grief. What was I thinking? Of course I needed to go home.

Guess, I'm on to the ACCEPTANCE phase. My brothers tell me that they will lift me up when I'm feeling wimpy and teary during my visit with Mom this weekend. I have cried so much lately that I look like a raccoon anymore. My brother, Scott says "that's okay - you're a tough, strong raccoon! You can do this!"

I have to say that there is an amazing relationship that develops among siblings dealing with the loss of their parent(s) to cancer. A strong, unbelievable blessing in all of the turmoil and grief that helps us get through together.

Thank you for all the kind posts to me. I really appreciate it.

Dear Kerry,

You have been down this road way too many times :cry: . I am so glad your brothers will be lifting you up...what a blessing that is.

Please know that we, here, will also be available for lifting you up as well whenever needed. Please let us know what you need at this time.

((((KERRY)))),

Kasey

I can't imagine what a hard time your family is going through. What a blessing that you have such a strong bond with your brothers - and how comforting to know that you can lift each other up when you need it most. I am sure that this has been a great source of pride and comfort to your mom too.

Take care of yourself. Be sure to lean on us if you need it too!

Kerry,

Your family has had more than its share of experience with NSCLC. It sounds like you are all fighters, though, and have developed more inner strength than you may be aware you have.

Another sign of your family's resiliency is the fact that this crisis has brought you together; many families fall apart under the same circumstances. You mom raised strong, loving children. Knowing the people you have become as adults is probably the thing that gives her the greatest joy and satisfaction from her life.

Sending all caring thoughts and strength your way.

Leslie

Kerry, I am so glad you have your brothers to lean on during this really hard time. Strength is a really funny thing. You tell yourself that you absolutely can't pull something this painful off but I am sure you will completely surprise yourself. Your strength will kick in and totally amaze you! Just enjoy the time with your mom and let God and your brothers be your shoulders to lean on!!!

Hi Kerry,

You are so lucky to have so many brothers who care and are taking care of your mom. Most of the time it seeems to be the daughters who are the caregivers. You have a wonderful family... you are blessed. I bet they will treat you like a princess..

Takc care and be strong. You mom will be so happy to see you!!

Maryanne

Oh Kerry,

Just got back into this post and read your profile and the news about the passing of your mom.

I am so sorry. She was so brave fighting this battle of 3 + years. She certainly put up one hel- of a fight. You must be so proud of her.

Gain strength from your brothers, let them lift you up.

My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Maryanne